Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on ISDN

Options
  • 29-03-2004 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting ISDN as I live in a broadband never area.

What are the chances of me getting ISDN instead? I live less than 1/4 mile from the exchange.

What connections does the ISDN Box that Eircom supply have? Do I need to buy additional equipment to use ISDN on my computer? I have an ethernet adaptor already in my comp, can this be used?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

ISDN distance is about 4 miles (6km?), where I live in Mayo is just past the 4 miles and it works OK.

You need a ISDN modem for your PC, you can get one from Eircom but can get one cheaper on the net. You can of course use an analogue modem, but it is much slower (4.3k) as opposed to the ISDN modem (7k using single channel, which leaves a line free for voice calls)

The "plug and play" adapter has two isdn ports and two analogue ports.

Grayarea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for that Garyarea.

What your saying is that you need to use an ISDN modem or you wont be able to keep the other line for telephone calls?

Are there not 2 telephone sockets on the ISDN box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I believe i have an isdn ta lying around if you decide to go for isdn. By the way, whilst you cant get dsl, you might want to check out irishwan and get involved in building the network. Where are you located?

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    I believe i have an isdn ta lying around if you decide to go for isdn. By the way, whilst you cant get dsl, you might want to check out irishwan and get involved in building the network. Where are you located?

Errill Co. Laois small village
    4 miles west of Rathdowney

I am on the village exchange.

Would go for a wireless network but i don't think there is demand here.:(

Many thanks for your kind offer, I may take you up on it if Eircom give me ISDN:)

Do you have line of sight towards durrow?
    You may want to get in contact with the guy who started this thread.

You'd be surprised at the interest thats out there. I am trying to get stuff going in my area and already have about 10 people interested.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Eurorunner. I am 14 miles from Durrow by the roads. Dunno about line of site but I shall ask Danno if it will work.

Would be nice if it did:)

Well its a definite option that more and more people are considering. What you could do is go ahead with isdn and keep working on the WAN side of things. Basically it will work if theres enough people involved.

Register at irishwan.org and post detailing your location and interest in getting involved. That way if someone drops by the irishwan site and does a search for rathdowney, you will come up - or it may be that there is a current member who has some form of a network working - but if you dont post, you'll never know;)

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Thanks for that Garyarea.

What your saying is that you need to use an ISDN modem or you wont be able to keep the other line for telephone calls?

Are there not 2 telephone sockets on the ISDN box?

If you are paying for ISDN then you definatly want an ISDN modem.

If you use a single ISDN channel (either via ISDN modem or analogue modem) when online, you can still use the phone no problem.

If you use dual channel for the fastest connection then you cannot use the phone at the same time.

Later,

Grayarea.

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Well its a definite option that more and more people are considering. What you could do is go ahead with isdn and keep working on the WAN side of things. Basically it will work if theres enough people involved.

Register at irishwan.org and post detailing your location and interest in getting involved. That way if someone drops by the irishwan site and does a search for rathdowney, you will come up - or it may be that there is a current member who has some form of a network working - but if you dont post, you'll never know;)

I have went ahead with the ISDN order online at the eircom website. It says it can to the upgrade by 1st April. Is it really that fast?

If you order online does that mean that you can get ISDN ok?

Thanks

Just one more question.

Does the eircom man have to come out to give you isdn or is it a self install? What is involved in installing ISDN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The eircom man will have to come and put a little box on the wall.

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Just one more question.

Does the eircom man have to come out to give you isdn or is it a self install? What is involved in installing ISDN?

The ISDN box is not user installable.

Grayarea.

I got isdn installed today. Everything ok. Just need a isdn modem now. Tried using 56k but now getting 45k instead of 54.6 kps.

Thanks for all your help folks

Kind Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if you want an isdn ta pm me with your address

Advertisement