Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB , their motto is 'if in doubt lets do another press release' .

Options
  • 29-03-2004 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

This time they claim that they will

1. Launch the Navini 3.5Ghz kit in Dublin (Ripwave kit on a higher frequency) .
    2. Have 100% coverage in Dublin.

Yeah! 100% of Dublin .....right ! Silicon Republic have the press release . They must have the lowest ratio of base station installs per press release on the planet by now !

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

For those without a Silicon Republic account:
    Dublin to be covered with wireless internet services

29.03.2004 - National Toll Roads subsidiary Irish Broadband has signed an infrastructure deal with a US network equipment manufacturer that will enable it to deploy multi-megabit wireless broadband services across 100pc of Dublin.
    The deal with Navini Networks’ will see Irish Broadband deploy the company’s Ripwave product line, one of the world’s first next generation non line-of-sight wide area wireless broadband networks on a 3.5Ghz frequency.

The rollout will begin by covering 100pc of Dublin and provide easy access to multi-megabit wireless broadband services for residential and small business users in the capital city.

Headquartered in Richardson, Texas, Navini Networks delivers patented wide area wireless broadband technology that delivers multi-megabit speeds to internet customers up to eight miles from a base station. Its Ripwave products consist of a desktop modem, or PCMCIA card, a base station and an element management system that operates in various licensed and unlicensed frequencies.

Investors in Navini include Alcatel, Intel, Sanmina, Austine Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Granite Ventures and Sternhill Partners.

“Irish Broadband is totally focused on broadband. Our goal is to step-up our product line and services so affordable broadband will be available to the majority of Irish citizens,” stated Paul Doody, managing director of Irish Broadband.

“We've been working with Navini on trials using 2.4Ghz Ripwave gear. Based on these trials and that Navini has clearly demonstrated positive momentum in terms of customer deployments around the world, we are expanding our footprint by offering services utilising licensed spectrum,” he added.

In January Irish Broadband revealed that it will be hiring 60 new workers on the back of demand for its services. It will recruit staff across several areas including technical, engineering, administrative, sales and marketing. Irish Broadband was recently awarded seven licences to provide wireless broadband services to 80pc of the population of the country.

Irish Broadband, which is a subsidiary of the public infrastructure developer National Toll Roads, has had a licence to operate wireless broadband networks since July 2002. In November last year, the company was awarded seven licences to provide wireless broadband Internet access in the 3.5GHz band in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda and Dundalk. Its service is currently available to domestic and business customers in Dublin and the network will be widened to incorporate Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Drogheda and Dundalk by the middle of this year.

By John Kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

There is also a press release on Navini's web site: http://www.navini.com/pages/press/2004/pr03.25.04.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I know complaining here isn't going to help, but what's the point in reprinting a press release that doesn't state when the service is going to be rolled out? We all know they have 3.5GHz licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Signed up for DSL on Friday having just failed LOS test with IBB about 6 weeks ago off Ballycoolin Transmitter.

Just before signing up I phoned IBB to aks them if they were rolling out 3.5Ghz Non-LOS in my area any time soon. They said it wouldn't be for another 2-3 months.

I may be inclined to move to IBB once the service is available but as I said I have signed up for DSL so I'm not holding my breath.

Wish IBB good luck as we need competition but I can't afford to wait at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Well I am gonna wait but i ain't holding my breath here,
    I am under no real pressure to get broadband yet as I haven't actually assembled
    my new computer yet, and anyway my line is failing the DSL test again.

I am staggered by the amount of 'hot air' to come outta one small company, it is amazing, eircom would be proud to do as well. What I want to know is when IBB
    are actually gonna deliver something tanglible (i.e. take 'Artane' outta
    the areas comming soon list, where it has been for months and put it in
    the Area's Live list).

It can't be long now before the media actually figure out they are full of it, if there
    sister company NTR was to do the same ... we are building a bridge near you real
    soon, have your heard about the materials we are using to build these bridges,
    not long now till a bridge is built near you, you wont believe how fast cheap and
    reliable our bridges are, the new bridge opens in 2004 ... er maybe ... do you need
    to travel anywhere soon, perhaps you could take the bus in the interim and the
    then when we open our bridge buy a car ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Mailman
    Just before signing up I phoned IBB to aks them if they were rolling out 3.5Ghz Non-LOS in my area any time soon. They said it wouldn't be for another 2-3 months.
    Hah! Don't you believe it - that's their standard response, which could actually mean 5-6 months. Maybe 2 years... Who knows?

It is what it's.

Advertisement