Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5/6-a-side astro games

• 29-03-2004 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

I play alot of astropark football aswell as normal club football at the weekend and I have recently started a couple of the 6 a-side leagues with work and with mates.

Does anyone else who plays this kinda football think it's weird how these games pan out- I mean the "better" team can often be hammered from what I can see!

We're playing alot of teams off the park and yet losing games by 3 goals at times!?!

Though its a casual game i defo think a tactical approach by most teams is employed to great effect against new teams like us. So far i've deduced that

1- counter attack where you suck in 4 of the 5 opposition outfielders into your half and then hit 2 on 1

and

2- with the small goals finishing is PARAMOUNT and often long, powerful shots are useful in providing rebound opportunities for the striker.

Anyone got any input here?

I feel there is something i'm missing. Im a centre midfielder in the 11a-side game and I think my problem lies in applying the same approach to the 6 a side game as i do at the weekend which simply doesn't work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

agreed. i look at teams some week and make a judgement and often get it completely wrong. sometimes the "weaker" team just get it together and out-score the others.

i think the score affects the type of play as well. If a team goes a few ahead the others will generally step it up a bit to level it. by the end of the game the key is the counterattack. one side could be tired from playing catch-up for an hour and the others can knock in 3 or 4 and clear up.

another thing i've noticed is when there is one side with a player short. we'll normally give them a stronger team. its suprising how well a 5 vs 6 match will play out. the 5 sided team will often beat the others!

where do you play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

i play in astro park tallaght with my mates just for the laugh

i play in the corporate leagues in benildus with work

and in the 11-a-side league in 3rock astro pitches with work

and in the leinster senior league on sunday

didnt seem like alot til i wrote it all down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I agree toatly with what both of yee have said , So often u think thats teams unreal / we've got an unreal team and then u go out and the team that seems great play realy well but could lose by a couple of gopals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Finishing is everything. You can have the best team and still just f*ck up enough in front of goal to throw it all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet

and in the 11-a-side league in 3rock astro pitches with work

For who? Westland Rovers rock well umm maybe not but hey we show up :)

5 a side is like basketball everytime you have the ball you must score, reason i think better teams lose is they try to overplay it by making too many passes (how many times does the lesser team score from a disposseion?)
    Better players try to beat someone to many and eventually lose the ball.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by KdjaC
    For who? Westland Rovers rock well umm maybe not but hey we show up :)

5 a side is like basketball everytime you have the ball you must score, reason i think better teams lose is they try to overplay it by making too many passes (how many times does the lesser team score from a disposseion?)
    Better players try to beat someone to many and eventually lose the ball.

kdjac

We're actually not going to be playing in 3 rock as of this season- mostly wesley college, one game in st judes and a couple in the AUL. Played a friendly on the back pitch in 3 rock last night though against Belgrave.

I dunno how high the scores must be in your 5-a-side games man but in our league the max goals in a game is usually 8 (max!) so the basketball thing??? Unless you are playing without goalkeepers? whch wud make sense!

I take your point on the dispossesion thing! Way to go seems to be keep it absolutely brainless and simple until the final third when you have back up in case of disposession. Takes patience and discipline, especially from those who see themselves as more skillful (or too skillfull to play a short square pass!) but yeah this is exactly the kinda thing i was lookin for!

Thanks 4 that

Advertisement