Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of modem

• 29-03-2004 11:51am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i have iol bb, and was wondering would it be possible to use two modems at one time on the same connection (from different phone sockets)

if so, how much would a usable dsl modem cost me (along with the phone splitter for keeping the telephone and computer plugged in at the same time)

thanks

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Dont thinks so, just get a broadband router with a built in modem and a couple of network cards.

Marx computers are doinf a special this week(€70 incl vat):
    ADSL Modem/Router/Switch

ADSL modem, Router and 4port switch
    Suitable for all Irish ADSL providers
    With built-in DHCP server, NAT Firewall, DNS Proxy
    Web based configuration
    1x ADSL (RJ45) and 4x 10/100 network (RJ45)
    Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP, Linux

www.marx-computers.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by flogen
    i have iol bb, and was wondering would it be possible to use two modems at one time on the same connection (from different phone sockets)

if so, how much would a usable dsl modem cost me (along with the phone splitter for keeping the telephone and computer plugged in at the same time)
    The short answer is, no. You can connect more than one computer to a single DSL connection, but not by using two modems at once.

How long are you with IOL? For the last 3 or 4 months they've been providing a modem that is capable of having two machines connected at the same time (one via ethernet, one via USB). If you have been with them for longer than that, and have the older modem that only has a single USB port, then you could go with the router from Marx listed above. Or, if the machines aren't close enough, or you don't think you'll be able to get a network cable to run between them, you might have to go the wireless route, which is a bit more expensive, but that's relative!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well the modem is in my bedroom with my pc, and cos im thinking about getting a laptop, i thought it would be cool to use the connection downstairs too. It is a duel modem, but it can only stretch so far (unless i can get a really long ethernet wire)

could anyone explain the wireless thing to me, im guessing it still runs off your regular connection, but just connects the modem to the line wirelessly (rather than it being a wlan connection)

Im lost in all this..... :(

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by flogen
    well the modem is in my bedroom with my pc, and cos im thinking about getting a laptop, i thought it would be cool to use the connection downstairs too. It is a duel modem, but it can only stretch so far (unless i can get a really long ethernet wire).
    You can get a long ethernet cable, and if it was for a PC downstairs, that'd probably be the best bet. But if you're thinking of getting a laptop, then wireless is probbaly a good idea (and if you can afford a laptop, then you can afford to pay for wireless too :-)
    could anyone explain the wireless thing to me, im guessing it still runs off your regular connection, but just connects the modem to the line wirelessly (rather than it being a wlan connection)
    As you already have a modem that has an ethernet port, then you just need a Wireless Access Point, something like this Linksys BEFW11S4 which Elara list for about €75. You should be able to plug the Access Point into the ethernet port on your modem, and plug a wireless card into your laptop and off you go (enabling Wireless Encryption Protocol on the WAP and the laptop would be smart, but get it working without WEP first). If the laptop doesn't have wireless capability built in, then it's usually a good idea to buy a wireless adapter that's the same brand as the Access Point (though it shouldn't be necessary).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thanks for the info... i cant actually afford a laptop at the moment, but its just for future reference.

Im guessing that all the above applies to ibooks too?

thanks

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

ibooks?

Indeed it does. I use a similar wireless setup with two ibooks (gf and I) and it works great. The only quirk with ibooks is that you HAVE to buy the Apple Airport card (which is a standard 802.11b card) or with a new ibook an Apple Airport Extreme card (which is a standard 802.11g card).

Because I like apple's easy of setup and compatability, I use an Apple Airport Extreme base station as my wireless router (which includes a NAT firewall for all your security requirments mentioned earlier).

Forceing point home:
    You can use any standard WiFi base stations but you MUST use apple airport cards with ibooks

Advertisement