Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvP Advice

Options
  • 29-03-2004 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm not much of a gamer, but boards has slowly got me interested, so if I ask dumb newbie questions, forgive me!!!

Anyways, on the advice of another thread I got AvP and I guess between getting the Predator special DVD and the impending Alien Vs. Predator movie I'm getting a bit carried away with the hype (I've preordered all the first two alien movies from Play too).

Anyways, what I'm asking is what sthe best Avp gaming experience out there (I'm not quite ready for multiplayer yet). Are there mods that make AvP a better game (I felt it was a bit limited as the Predator? Is AvP2 worth getting and is it much better/worse than the original.

Finally, I heard there is a file that lets you play Morrowind as the Predator and has aliens as wildlife. Is this true and has anyone tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

AvP2's alright. I think AvP is itself scarier than the second one. Also you'd pick up AvP for nothing. I got it for a fiver in Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

AvP2 is less spooky and more frantic, almost death matchy at times, nowhere near the same atmosphere, which means the Marine experience is lacking. The alien campaign isnt too great either, dont need to sneak about nearly as much once you get your alien, you can leap on everyone you want pretty much, which makes the game much easier and generally less fun. But the predator campaign is excellent, now to charge you energy it only takes 2 or 3 seconds, but when you do it you can hardly move and you stand out like a sore thumb, not to mention you cant shoot. The expansion pack, primal hunt, will probably give you an extra day of play before all the campaigns for it are done. Multiplayer wise, the net code is horrable, I wouldnt look twice at it to be fair.

I havent heard of much of a MOD community for either AvP games tho, so I doubt you will find much worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I found AvP2 great fun on a LAN, although I haven't played the first on multiplayer so I don't know how it compares. It not very well balanced though, the Predaliens are just too hard to kill, and that leap it lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Thanks lads, any more advice is appreciated.

I'm on the hunt for that morrowind mod, the idea of a totally free predator hunting environment is appealing.

If anyone nows anything about it, lemme know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

AvP1 was scarier cos you're only other link with the world was a video wall with some cheapo actor telling you why you're getting boned for Weyland Yutani. Just dark corridors, limited save points and hoards of aliens wanting to get personal ;)
    Multi was aimless and went nowhere.

The second game tried to inject something resembling a plot, and a half-decent one at that, but the scares are once off as most of the "boo!" scenes are scripted, so if you play the game again, you know when and where most of the aliens (or the "aha, fooled you, Im actually a swinging crane on your motion detector" moments) come from - "oh this is the bit where they burst through the door" etc. Still good fun.
    Multi was better, but the Marine weapons were too spammy and required little skill to screw the aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

AvP 1 MP was quite good but the servers tended to have n00bs in them, which ruins an entire hunt session...

you'd have 2 aliens raping the marines and of the marines starts spamming nades everywhere killing most of his own team...

AvP 1 didnt last long enough for a good player base to set up leagues and such...

as for multiplayer characters, the marine faired better due to smart gun and pulse rifle grenades, the alien was harder to kill, but predators only ruled when there was one other species...

AvP 2 tried to pull in a good movie esque plot, which was fun for alien missions and predator missions but i feel the marine missions werent great...

multiplayer was more complex and the predator was dummed down a bit with his abilities/power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by SearrarD
    AvP 2 tried to pull in a good movie esque plot, which was fun for alien missions and predator missions but i feel the marine missions werent great...

multiplayer was more complex and the predator was dummed down a bit with his abilities/power
    I think the Marines section sucked becuase there was no sense of danger and isolation that the first instilled. I never ran out of ammo and had plenty of save points, so just waltzed my way from start to finish. The end of the game got a bit nuts, but in nice wide open spaces so again, there goes the tension.

The multi was fun enough while it lasted; myself and friends played it all the time on on on-campus residencies in DCU 2 years ago.
    But if proof was ever needed of the value of mod support for games, then look at how much AvP2 rates on the barometer of multi gaming.

Advertisement