Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clicking starter motor i think?

Options
  • 29-03-2004 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just want to know what a clicking noise coming from an engine might be. The car itself wont start, but when the ignition key is turned, the engine makes a sort of clicking noise ( a bit like its in pain so i left it alone) Just wondering what it might be, and if there is a quick fix, with a hammer or something like that. Failing that it sit there and i get the bus. Thanks for any thaughts.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Sounds suspiciously like a dead battery. You probably left lights on. Get a friend with a set of leads to give you a jump start.

Should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the starter alright (if you have a click the solenoid is working). A bang with a big spanner might get it running.

Before you think about buying a new starter motor, if your car is a commen model and they've been around a few years then phone around a few breakers yards. I've bought a couple of motors this way. 20-30 €uro a go. Cheap!

Mike.

ps to check if its a motor or the battery switch your headlights on - if its battery the lights will dim when you try to start the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by mike65
    to check if its a motor or the battery switch your headlights on - if its battery the lights will dim when you try to start the engine.

Good tip Mike! Never thought of that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

switch your headlights on - if its battery the lights will dim when you try to start the engine

Just the internal courtesy light should do the trick. The external lights might be hard to see in the daylight. If the courtesy light dims and the clicking continues then the battery is either flat or dead.
    If the battery is ok and hitting the starter motor with a hammer (if you can locate it) does not do the job, let the handbrake off, put the car in 2nd gear and rock it forwards and backwards (a couple of inches movement should do).
    NOTE: Make sure the ignition is switched off before rocking.
    Then up with the handbrake, into neutral and try starting.
    Other than that - park on a hill untill you get a new starter.
    (I'm not a mechanic, but i've had a few dodgy cars over the years)
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Starters are easily repaired at any decent auto electric place, replace it only if totally shagged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement