Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Guitarist Ever??

Options
  • 29-03-2004 2:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well since singer,lyricist,bass player and drummer have been done lets complete it by putting in greatest guitar player of all time.

For me it only really comes down to two:

Slash
    Jimi Hendrix

Both absolutely amazing nut there have so many brilliant guitarists out there i could go on naming all night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'd have to say Giblet too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

My favorite guitarist of all time is John Squire

taking into account the whole package rather than just guitar skill- songwriting, look, style, band etc.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

My favourite of all time has to be Dimebag Darrell, so I'll say Dimebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

My favourties are Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton, However the best are Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

Slash is a great player but he's just too pissy, and plays alot of the same stuff over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Jimi Hendrix for me. No one comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Jerry Cantrell for teh monster riffage and Mike McCready for an almighty solo.

You can't go without mentioning Tom Morello in terms of creating something new and catchy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah i forgot about Mike McCready he is a top class guitarist. He did some stuff with the wallflowers too and he can play almost any style of music. I still think Hendrix is better simply because he revolutionised how the guitar is played

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I've been playing guitar for 10 years now, and I can safely say I wouldn't have a clue. Being a great guitarist is about creating a marriage between song-writing skill, technique, and fitting it all together into a song that rocks (or at least really gets you playing air guitar in your spare time). Guitarists really tend to dictate the overall sound of a band, so everyone having different tastes means everyone will vote for someone who matches those tastes. Identifying a single greatest guitarist ever might be impossible.

For example. Steve Vai is the master of technique (or perhaps Jeff Beck), but is he blessed with outstanding songwriting ability? Not particularly. Likewise, Slash has good technique, and good songwriting ability, and most of his stuff rocks, but he's a little repetitive.

If pushed, I'd go for Eric Clapton or Billy Howardell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sarcastic

My favourite is Ale (Children of Bodom)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Jimi Hendrix

I need say no more. Anybody who says he's over rated don't know what there talking about!!!!

I don't even want to entertain an argument. Cuz its a waste of time. Jimi Hendrix was the all times greatest.

Wes Montgomery would come in with a close second!!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Kunst

Revolutionary - Jimi Hendrix
    Innovator - Tom Morello
    Pure Skill - Steve Vai
    Purely Classic - Santana
    Most Effortless - Eric Clapton

(just my opinions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

eric clapton gets my vote

brian may is worthy of a mention too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Gary Moore is the greatest!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

hendrix
    slash
    richie sambora

need i say anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Joe Satriani or Jimi Hendrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Jimi Hendrix or Rory Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd of Television.
    Peter Green during his Fleetwood Mac days
    John Squire of The Stone Roses
    Johnny Marr of The Smiths

Those are the ones that do it for me. Just my favourites - dunno if they are the greatest.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd have to say Mikael Akerfeldt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Jimi Hendrix
    Jimmy Page
    Eddie Van Halen
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai

Those 5 guitarists are pretty much the basis for a lot of todays guitarists in one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

My Top 5 geetarists are

1. Duane Allaman
    2. Jimmy Page
    3. Josh Homme
    4. Steve Vai
    5. Robby Krieger

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I'm gonna give this one to Rory Gallagher. The man epitomises what it truly is to be a musician. He gave it his all every night and his guitar solo's were so unrehearsed most of the time it added to the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Martin Taylor (new album out end of month - wow) and i'm partial to a little Jimmy Page.

Angus Young from AC/DC is kinda cool too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

As I said, I think Jimi is the greatest, but Tony Iommi is my favourite. Without him, there would be little of the music I love. Totally underrated technically too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    I'm gonna give this one to Rory Gallagher. The man epitomises what it truly is to be a musician. He gave it his all every night and his guitar solo's were so unrehearsed most of the time it added to the effect.

yeah right on!

Rory!

For the sheer -balls out- "im making this up as i go along - deal with it" ness of it!

I cant bare to listen to his songs really but genius guitarist!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by sarcastic
    My favourite is Ale (Children of Bodom)
    Alexi Laiho I presume... Absolutely amazing guitarist. Definately up there with everyone else. I'd say technically the best metal guitarists in the world at the moment would have to be...

Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
    Jani Liimatainen (Sonata Arctica)
    Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
    Mike Romero (Symphony X)
    Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel)
    Rocky George (ex-ST)
    Zakk Wylde (BLS)
    Alex Skolnick (ex- Testament)
    Buckethead
    Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Jimi Hendrix, Rory Gallagher, Jimmy Page and Richie Blackmore (he's a dick head but he's good).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BonmahonHammers

Richie Sambora

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Slash
    Clapton
    Me
    in that order.

Advertisement