Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Guitarist Ever??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 doublethink

I would be tempted to post some of my formative guitar influences, but I'm not egocentric enough to say that they are the greatest ever :) For example, James Dean Bradfield in his balaklava wearing period :ninja:

I have seen quite a few exellent ones...

Flamenco: Roderigo and Gabriella, an instrumental duet, brother and sister. Touring at the moment as far as I know. If i was forced to pick between them, I would pick.... Gabriella, because she can beat a guitar like a nighclub while playing the most mind bogglingly beautiful overlapping scales...

Rock: I'm not really bothered... despite being a rock guitarist myself. I've yet to be honestly impressed by a rock guitarist. Thats just me.

Pop/Rock: Johnny Marr of the Smiths. musically, a very indipendant mind (from the other instruments).

Overall: Preston Reed, go see him. Visually, musically, mindblowing versatility of style, totally groundbreaking and unique ways of playing the guitar. Honestly worth a look. I think he is also touring now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

For me....

1 - Kelly Joe Phelphs
    2 - Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy, Motorhead)
    3 - Tom Morello
    4 - Hendrix
    5 - Page

Just my thoughts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

I've been looking around for one of my favourite ever quotes from one of my favourite ever guitarists, Carlos Santana, who back in the 1970s pointed out that so many guitarists of the time concentrated on technique rather than taste to the extent that they ended up sounding like typewriters. Thirty years on and little has changed.

I can't find the exact quote but it should be transcribed on to a branding iron and imprinted on the heads of anybody who thinks that the digital dexterity of axe **** like Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani automatically produces good music.

I'm not being superior: I come from a generation where it was de rigeur to consider Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird as the ultimate guitar nirvana (small n) but when you listen to it now it's just cat-strangling rubbish. And when you see the video of the performance (that was at one stage the most requested clip on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test rock show) you get an inkling of where Rob Reiner got the inspiration for Spinal Tap.

Anyway, nose thumbing aside my favourite guitarists (acoustic and electric) and in no particular order

Carlos Santana,
    Johnny Marr,
    the Edge,
    Paul Kossof (Free)
    Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones - find a better guitar solo than that on Sway from Sticky Fingers and it's hats off)
    Richie Blackmore (at his best)
    Eric Clapton,
    Sonny Condell (Scullion)
    Freddie White,
    Rory Gallagher, (two Corkmen!!! I'm getting soft)
    Manny Charlton (Nazareth - Wrinkly rockers rule)
    Chuck Berry
    and some guy I saw in a Flamenco bar in Madrid in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Jeff hanneman,
    Slash,
    Thurston Moore for the messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ziggy-Stardust

Can't choose between Mick Ronson, Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix and Brian May. Mick Ronson's not as good as the other three, but come on, has David Bowie blown any of THEIR guitars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Beyond a SHADOW OF A DOUBT:

Chris Impellitteri (Impellitteri)
    Michael Romeo (Symphony X, Solo projects)
    Justin King
    Jason Becker
    Shawn Lane
    Rusty Cooley

Those are a collection of the most technically and musically gifted guitarists of all time, a prime example being Justin King, for avant garde acoustic guitar songs.

Michael Romeo and Chris Impellitteri for their ability to write a solo within a song and remain technically brilliant, not writing songs around big solos. And their ability to write great music.

Jason Becker, Sawn Lane, Rusty Cooley: Possibly the most technically brilliant, bar Impellitteri who wipes the floor with them all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Someone that I don't think has been mentioned, but surely deserves a mention among some of the "great" guitarists that have been named, is John McLaughlin of Mahavishnu Orchestra. So many of his songs are very technical, yet sound amazing, and the speed he often plays at is fascinating, every note in tandem with the electric violin. Extremely talented man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭girella

rory gallagher
    jimi hendrix
    eric clapton
    jeff buckley
    jerry cantrell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When I saw this thread I thought "Satriani, Vai, May.... please Jesus let no tone-deaf powertools fan have nomianted Eddie Van Halen"...

But of course, there's always one. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Jimi Hendrix
    Dave Evans "The Edge"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I dont think you can mention The Edge and Jimmy Hendrix in the same sentance with a straight face!!! Come on for christ sake, Hendrix is one of the gods, The Edge is one of the most useless bastards who ever picked up a guitar. In my opinion - he's one of the worst ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The Edge isn't a very highly skilled guitarist technically, but he plays some really good stuff that sounds great. I think the majority of people would prefer to listen to the music that Edge has made than Hendrix. Sure, Hendrix was amazing, but some of his stuff isn't as pleasing to the ear and as nice to listen to as some of the stuff The Edge plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

The Edge is not a soloist. But his guitar work in the overall context of the songs U2 do is excellent. In much the same way that Johnny Marr of the Smiths made songs otherwise centred around the self-pitying whining of Morissey bearable.

Call it accompaniment or rhythm playing, that is essentially what a guitar is for. Axe-**** solos are only part of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Apart from the obvious such as Hendrix and company.
    I have to give a shout out to Kirlk Hammett,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Clapton hands down i saw him at the point pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Originally posted by Fozzy
    The Edge isn't a very highly skilled guitarist technically, but he plays some really good stuff that sounds great. I think the majority of people would prefer to listen to the music that Edge has made than Hendrix. Sure, Hendrix was amazing, but some of his stuff isn't as pleasing to the ear and as nice to listen to as some of the stuff The Edge plays.

ur right The Edge isnt as good as Hendrix but he's easier to listen 2, Hendirx was d master of the guitar but i wud much prefer to listen to sumthing easy to listen to. eg The Edge !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

dimebag, zakk wylde, marty friedman, jerry cantrel and mick thompson is preety unreal i hate slipknots first two but this one will be good also the promo thing in total guitar 2years back was just incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) Always been my personal fav!

Also (no order)

Slash
    Hendrix
    Kirk Hammet (Had his moments of being great. Some terrible crap too.)
    Jerry Cantrel (Yee haw)
    Clapton
    Noel and Liam Gallagher
    etc..

(Guess which ones are a joke? :rolleyes: )

Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I gotta say
    5. Jack White (7 nation army is prefect example of how to use the guitar to full potential)
    4.Jeff Buckley (an absoult master could have been as flashy as he liked but wasnt gotta respect that)
    3. Brian May (currently studing Bohiemien Rapsody for LC Music anybody who writes in 7 guitars has gotta be up there)
    2.Jimmey Hendrix (no can or ever will frase like him)
    1. John Athony Mother ****in Fusciante (as good as any of the above brillient all rounder and great writer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

no one's said Neil Young yet :(, just listen to Like a Hurricane, Cortez the Killer, Down by the River etc ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Slash ,Tom Morello,John Frusciante,Buckethead and Daron malakian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Jimi Hendrix
    Slash
    Jimmy Page
    Daron Malakian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Rory, by a country mile. (qualifies as best mandolin/banjo player too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

how many people here actually play guitar??

in no particular order...

tom morello,
    jeff buckley,
    richie sambora,
    jimmy page,
    matt belamy,
    james hetfield,
    slash,
    clapton,
    vai,
    dave grohl,
    hendrix,
    dave gilmour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Petoria

Originally posted by newband
    how many people here actually play guitar??

in no particular order...

clapton,

I do, and that's where your ignorance shines through. Clapton is SOOOO far from even being a good guitar player, but he manages to trick the average listener into thinking he knows what he's doing (and before anyone says it: NO, that doesn't make him good). Clapton knows about 12 Blues Licks - that's it. He is far from accomplished.

My personal favs are:

Slash,
    Tom Morello,
    David Gilmour,
    Walter Becker,
    Jon Herrington,
    Frank Zappa,
    Rory Gallagher,
    Hendrix.

Originally posted by Petoria
    I do, and that's where your ignorance shines through. Clapton is SOOOO far from even being a good guitar player, but he manages to trick the average listener into thinking he knows what he's doing (and before anyone says it: NO, that doesn't make him good). Clapton knows about 12 Blues Licks - that's it. He is far from accomplished.

thats exactly why he's good, i play guitar also and tbh it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference how many licks, scales, chords etc a person can play... its what you do with what you know that counts,,, thats what makes him an accomplished player..

accomplished=to succeed in doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Petoria

Originally posted by newband
    it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference how many licks, scales, chords etc a person can play...

Eh, it does. Because if you only know 5 chords & one scale (i.e. Claptons Pentatonic Blues in Em), you're not going to have much variety in your playing, are you? Of course it depends what you do with it too, but Clapton doesn't do much. He writes naff catchy rock tunes.

Clapton only knows blues licks, and he is way too overatted. The average listener (not looking at anyone in particular) can't tell the difference between a genuine good player, and someone who hides behind a few licks. I can listen to any Clapton song, and play it back in 2 seconds, because 1) I know what key it's generally in, 2) I know what scale he's using, and 3) I can generally pick out the lick he is playing. If he was any good (like the guitarists I mentioned) I shouldn't be able to do that by ear in a few seconds. BB King did the exact same trick - he hid behind some basic blues riffs, and your average Joe Listener thinks it's good because it's catchy.

Liek you said:
    Accomplished = to succeed in doing, NOT to succeed in pretending to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

did anyone mention chuck berry? bb king?

I'm not into these guys, but credit where credit is due, they rocked.

My personal favourites are (in no order):

Dimebag
    Zakk Wylde
    Slash
    Kirk Hammet
    Tony Iommi
    Randy Rhoads
    Chris Poland
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jimmy Page
    Rory Gallagher
    Angus Young
    Me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

definetely Angus Young

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Petoria
    Eh, it does. Because if you only know 5 chords & one scale (i.e. Claptons Pentatonic Blues in Em), you're not going to have much variety in your playing, are you? Of course it depends what you do with it too, but Clapton doesn't do much. He writes naff catchy rock tunes.

Clapton only knows blues licks, and he is way too overatted. The average listener (not looking at anyone in particular) can't tell the difference between a genuine good player, and someone who hides behind a few licks. I can listen to any Clapton song, and play it back in 2 seconds, because 1) I know what key it's generally in, 2) I know what scale he's using, and 3) I can generally pick out the lick he is playing. If he was any good (like the guitarists I mentioned) I shouldn't be able to do that by ear in a few seconds. BB King did the exact same trick - he hid behind some basic blues riffs, and your average Joe Listener thinks it's good because it's catchy.

just because you can't do it with some guitarists doesn't mean that they're better, it just means you're not very good:D only messin with ya...

its not hard listening to something and playin it back by ear(depending on what you're listening to)
    if i can listen a hendrix song and play it back does that mean hendrix is ****? no!

i understand where you're coming from, i just dont agree with you..

Advertisement