Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Guitarist Ever??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Slash is the same though Petoria, he will always play guitar based on minor pents, and maybe some slight variation, but he plays different takes on the same scales so well, but he is in no way technical. He rocks more than any guitarist I've seen though, and thats what counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i didnt see to many votes for tom iommi which suprised me in fairness tho i do think marty friedman is one of the most underrated players about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Petoria

Originally posted by Giblet
    Slash is the same though Petoria, he will always play guitar based on minor pents, and maybe some slight variation, but he plays different takes on the same scales so well, but he is in no way technical. He rocks more than any guitarist I've seen though, and thats what counts.

While Slash may "base" SOME of his solos on the pentatonic minor, it is never that straight forward. He always incorporates different elements into it: Major scale (for the extra 2 notes), Harmonic Minor, Mixolydian, Dorian, Adding in Major 3rd, 7ths, blah, blah, blah. Not as simple as you would think. He knows his stuff - don't underestimate him.

BUT, Slashs solos sound amazing, and Claptons don't. Bottom line. Clapton has never done anything original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Clapton influenced so many guitar players that guitar playing as we know it wouldn't exist without him. Back in the day, Clapton was one of the finest players around. Times have changed, guitar playing has evolved, Clapton was a big part of that evolution. Don't belittle his playing.

Don't be so naive. Clapton is NOT a good player. It's not a matter of opinion, it can be a proven fact by any professional musician by just studying his playing.
    It's repetitive, and bland. He tries nothing new, and has revolutionised/evolved nothing. All he has done is fooled amateur players/listeners into thinking he knows what he's doing.
    Times have changed, guitar playing has evolved, Clapton was a big part of that evolution.
    :D Times have changed, but Clapton has ALWAYS been crap. What evolution was this you're referring to? There have always been great players, and crap players. If Clapton wasn't so overrated, I wouldn't mind so much, but he gets hailed a being a "guitar great". It's a common misconception.
    guitar playing as we know it wouldn't exist without him
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm not the one being naive.

Don't underestimate others so quickly.

You say he tries nothing new but there are many who would argue (correctly) that he was at the forefront of innovative blues-rock guitar playing in the early to mid sixties. The fact that he's almost 60 years old and doesn't play Paganini's Caprices shouldn't detract from the fact that only someone truly ignorant of the history of guitar playing would suggest he is the con-artist you suggest he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

at first i respected your opinion but i think you are just being very closed minded now,,,

first of all, you dont seem to be a fan of clapton, now if i'm not a fan of something, then i dont listen to it,, so what are u basing your opinion on, how many clapton songs do u actually know?? bare in mind he has over 30 albums to his name?? are u basing your opinion on two or three songs that u heard on the radio or something?

The words "it can be proven fact" have no merit in guitar playing. Who is gonna prove it fact, some guy who has been studying music theory, some guy who is better, but then again, who says he is better, himself, or someone who doesn't know what goes into playing guitar. It's all subjective, so fact really has nothing to do with it.

Many guitar "badasses" who play some silly appregio in his bedroom for three weeks until it's a blur is not someone who I would listen to, over someone who sounds good. They lose touch with what music is about, and spout bull about how crap everyone else is.

I bet most of them couldn't trem pick as fast as I can, doesn't mean I'm better, but I sure am "faster" at picking. So maybe someone would think thats "better"

He plays some good blues licks and has a great tone, and makes music people like. Thats more than can be said for many "virtuosos" who hide alot in speed.

Not that think Clapton is great, but I wouldn't call him rubbish either.

I didn't name anyone in my list who hides behind speed. I never said playing fast makes you better.
    The words "it can be proven fact" have no merit in guitar playing.
    You're trying to have a profound outlook on something that CAN be a proven fact. While that may be true for a lot of musicians & players, I am only applying it to Eric Clapton.
    Can someone please post a link to what is considered Claptons "best" solo/ riff or whatever, and let me hear what I am missing here! Prove me wrong. I could do the same for any of teh msuicians I have listed.
    Who is gonna prove it fact
    Anyone who is qualified to do so.

I haven't got a closed mind - there are hundereds of guitar players I don't like, but I know they are good. I just don't think Clapton is good. A lot of people say "Clapton Rocks. Legend, etc" because they are used to other people saying it.

Wait, so you're gonna prove this by comparing riffs, and getting someone to say "No this riff is better because such and such"

Thats not going to work on the whole fact that it is subjective, you can't really go "this riff sucks because anyone can play it" ...after it was written that is, and by that logic, any riff anyone can think of can be played easily by someone, but that doesn't mean that person could have came up with it. To me, guitar is about sounding good with what you have, not playing a riff that no-one else can play, or would even want to listen to.

Where do I get my guitar license, have to be qualified to talk about how good I think someones playing is.

Bullshit, such an outlook isn't going to help your guitar playing abilities.

• Advertisement

Dude, I never said a riff has to be hard to play in order to be good. :rolleyes:

Listen to 10 Clapton solos or riffs, and it can be PROVEN that he uses the same licks, bases playing on the exact same techniques, and uses the same chords over & over. That's what I'm saying. Don't get the wrong end of the stick here.

You obviously never listen to Clapton, the exact same could be said about Rory Gallagher to the untrained ear.

It's a style called blues.

Clapton plays blues, which is one of the most repetative forms of music. 12 bars, root, fourth and fifth... of course a lot of it is going to sound similar. Clapton plays with immaculate taste in a generally abused and misunderstood format. But hey, there are hundreds and thousands of blues players out there, all playing pretty much the same thing, but Clapton is one of the best. I actually play in a blues band at the moment and it bores the bejesus out of me, I'm not a big fan of that style of music. But I can recognise the fact he's an excellent guitarist, even if he wouldn't be my particular choice to listen to. That's blues. Don't take your shyt out on Clapton when it's the style of music he plays, rather than his playing, which irks you so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Top 10 in no apparent order:

rory gallaher
    jeff buckley
    richie sambora
    slash
    clapton
    ben harper
    dave grohl
    cliff burton
    hendrix
    myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

and again,,
    Originally posted by newband
    first of all, you dont seem to be a fan of clapton, now if i'm not a fan of something, then i dont listen to it,, so what are u basing your opinion on, how many clapton songs do u actually know?? bare in mind he has over 30 albums to his name?? are u basing your opinion on two or three songs that u heard on the radio or something?

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Claptons great, not because of his technical ability, but because of his musical ability. One of the signs of a great quitar player is that have a distinctive style. Clapton definately has that. Personally I'm not a huge Clapton fan, but he is a great quitar player. He has some fantastic licks and riffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bluedog

I'm by no means a big Clapton fan but I can't let him be simply dismissed...

This guy was one of the VERY FIRST to put fuzz on his sound (age 17) and in doing so played a huge role in inventing Rock, Blues Rock and all the guitar orientated music that has survived since.
    Cream, along with early Zep, Hendrix and a few others, paved the way for metal, hard rock and to a lesser extent punk/rock.

He has managed to remain current and popular through some very anti-guitar times while never straying too far from his blues roots. No mean feat. I think that he can only be respected for this. He has championed the cause of the guitar from the very first day he picked one up, right up to present time.

He has played in Cream, The Yardbirds and Derek and the Domino's, he has toured with blues bands, he has played folk and classical guitar. Every time he has become involved in a new project he brought his own style and influence to it.

He is more than a capable player, his ability to turn his hand to many different styles while remaining faithful to his blues (also allowing himself open to criticism) really proves that he is one of the greats.

I think the general public have always been too kind to him and this has elevated him to the staus of idol. This has left him vlunerable to every critic/guitar player out there who doesn't feel comfortable simply following the general consensus.

If you ask me, this is a pity because i believe in "Credit where credit's due".

I remember in the Guitar legends concert in Seville. You had Vai, Satriani Brian May etc. They were great yeah. But when Joe Walsh came out with a strat and a glass slide, and a voice box his sheer tone was awesome. His technique may have been all over the place, and maybe his tuning wasn't spot on. But dear god he was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Best guitarists of all time for pure ability and Class-ness:
    No particular order

Jimi Hendrix
    Rory Gallagher
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Toni Iommi
    Michael Angelo
    Dave Murray
    Angus Young

Ps. Eric Clapton is V Boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Has nobody else mentioned Brian May yet?

C'mon, people!
    He's certainly better than Clapton.

• Advertisement

Akira Takasaki better than them all....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

cant believe no one has said these guys

Kerry King
    Jeff Hanneman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

so many to choose from..steve vaughan, the hairy bloke from guns n roses always got my blood pumping, Slash and Brian May are a definite.
    Think my nephew is on the way to being fairly decent too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Has to be Jimmy Page or Jimmi Hendrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Has nobody else mentioned Brian May yet?

Are you fcuking serious? Brian May better than Clapton!! Thats the best laugh I've had in a long time.. Eric clapton blows brian may off the stage, may wouldnt play with clapton at the crossroads guitar festivel later on in the month because he was afraid of being embarrassed!!...... Eric has so many non blues songs with non blues solos that people may not have heard. He's a legend, hes not the best or anything, he's not satriani, but at least he's better than the joke that is brian may who I may say hasn't done nothing in over a decade, and will never do again. what a joke of a player!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Satriani

Originally posted by elvis2002
    Are you fcuking serious? Brian May better than Clapton!! Thats the best laugh I've had in a long time.. Eric clapton blows brian may off the stage, may wouldnt play with clapton at the crossroads guitar festivel later on in the month because he was afraid of being embarrassed!!...... Eric has so many non blues songs with non blues solos that people may not have heard. He's a legend, hes not the best or anything, he's not satriani, but at least he's better than the joke that is brian may who I may say hasn't done nothing in over a decade, and will never do again. what a joke of a player!!

Personally I think you are wrong. Brian May has earned is place as one of rocks greats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Come on! Listen to Innuendo and tell me that Brian May isn't a world class guitarist.

Originally posted by elvis2002

I'm by no means a fan of Brian May, but he is a good guitar player - 10 times better than Clapton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I dont hear anything that interesting in Innuendo. The spanish guitar part is a fairly common sounding thing and about 4 guitars in that section I think. Thats probably one of the worst queen songs I've ever heard!! :-[. My favourite by the way is "I want it all" A true rock song spoiled by a ridiculous singing melody thingy just before the guitar solo.

Listen to Let it rain, Bad Love, Bell bottom blues, and Five Long Years (unbelievable solo for pure blues playing) for starters, then come back and say Clapton is 10 times less of a player than May!, May is a pussy pop bitch!, he never even had a cocaine addiction...hehe

hehe. :-p.....

Advertisement