Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replace/repair bits before trading in??

Options
  • 29-03-2004 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

I'll be trading in my A3 sometime between now and the summer with a main dealer probably and was wondering whether it is worth fixing/replaceing the odd bits that need it.

ie 1998 1.6 A3 ambition with 20,250 on the clock.

immaculate except

a. one or two small shopping trolley dents (dosy 'oul ones' :rolleyes: )
    b. A few Smallish dents on bonnet down to white undercoat. (roof tile came off in the wind last year and landed on the bonnet! )
    c. Needs new tyres
    d. due its 5th yearly service a few months ago but I never bothered cause I had such low mileage and thought I was keeping the car.

Is it worth getting these sorted before I go to the dealer. ie is it worth spending 1000+ on the car to get it really immaculate. Will I get 1000+ more of a trade-in after doing so...or.....will I still only get the same price from the dealer as if I hadn't bothered my arse.

Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont do anything with the car.The way used car prices are nowadays you probably wouldnt even recoup the €1000.Most dealers allow for bits and pieces like these in their trade in allowance.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Give it a good clean up. Pay particular attention to the glass. Pump up the tyres - an old garage trick.

The less a dealer has to do to move it the more attractive to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

For small dents that don't break the paint try Dial a Dent there very good,they dont take the panel off and they come around to your place for about 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I take it knife fighter and silent death that you reckon I should maybe get these sorted? Giving it a good clean up goes without saying but do you reckon I should do the dents, get the service and replace the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd tend to agree with Hellrazer, except maybe buy reconditioned tyres to make it look a bit better

Also, did you check out claiming the damage to your bonnet from the roof tiles through your home insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Don't repair anything, the main dealer will be able to do all that at a fraction of the cost, so it will cost you more to repair than you will gain in trade-in value. They may complain about it when taking it in, but thats bull****, they are just looking for reasons to give you a lower price. Whatever you think it will cost to get all that done, the garage will be able to do it for about a 1/3 of that. Espically the service, they wil give that car a service anyway before they sell it on, so definetly don't get that done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Calibos
    a. one or two small shopping trolley dents (dosy 'oul ones' :rolleyes: )b. A few Smallish dents on bonnet down to white undercoat.
    make sure you keep these well polished to avoid any risk of rust. Redoing and filling them may raise the concept of greater damage in a buyer's mind.
    c. Needs new tyres
    How much are they needed? Are they a hazard / will they be a hazard by the time you sell.
    d. due its 5th yearly service a few months ago but I never bothered cause I had such low mileage and thought I was keeping the car.
    Should probably do this one, a complete log book reassures a buyer.

Advertisement