Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone over iol CAP this month?

• 29-03-2004 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Just realised I have gone to 16.5GB and wondering will I be cut off. Has any gone over yet? I know with 8GB there was a little leeway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I am only 12 GB :S

Hmm I thought you would be cut off already!! haha they were supposed to be very strict with the new limits.. although maybe that only applies to those on lower package...

Do keep us informed... Interesting to see if they really do cut people off... maybe the last couple of day of the month you could leave it downloading... and see how far you can get *grins evily*

Anyone have any suggestions what to use the remaining 4 gigs I have on? I still have a few days to download...

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

will let all know when I get home - didn't realise I was even close and hadn't been checking until today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Originally posted by Xcellor

Anyone have any suggestions what to use the remaining 4 gigs I have on? I still have a few days to download...

X

Divx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So you download just for the sake of downloading? :rolleyes:
    Talk about tryna get your moneys worth.

Used this month, 2.12GB. I won't be sitting at the PC just to try get my 16GB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

du meter records 18.89gig! must fix my iol meter all the same sometimes i wonder how its possible to download so much!;)

I'll report you to IOL for abuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Used this month, 2.12GB. I won't be sitting at the PC just to try get my 16GB.

the idea with broadband is to start a realy big download at night or before you go to work then its there when you get back to your pc
    why would anyone sit about watching it download ?
    i have 30 gb down this month with eircom good thing they dont enforce caps
    on my last bill there was a note saying eircom will contact customers in a while just beofre they start enforcing caps

Maybe this could explain possible contention issues people are having?
    :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Originally posted by tuxx
    the idea with broadband is to start a realy big download at night or before you go to work then its there when you get back to your pc
    why would anyone sit about watching it download ?
    on my last bill there was a note saying eircom will contact customers in a while just beofre they start enforcing caps

tuxx are you saying its ok for me to break the cap for this month? im at 7gb with a new cap on thursday but theres about 3gb of stuff i want to download, is it safe for me to download it and go offer my cap by 2gb without being charged?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Are you sure? I've already exceed my cap and on my dslstat page, its showing that excess cap will cost me €60. I really hope €ircom doesnt start to charge cap, at least not now :)

well guys im not going to say im 100% sure its safe to dl as much as you want
    but since i got dsl in january i have consistantly broke the cap on the dsl stats page by 10 gb or more and never been charged
    eircom do not yet have a billing system in place to charge people for breaking caps

on my last bill it said they are working on it and will contact customers before it comes into place

since there are still no contention issues on the eircom network they are probably in no hurry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tuxx if eircom do charge this month you will be charged at least €673.20 for going 22gb over the cap, i cant even afford to take the risk of going 1gb over at around €30 per gig.

when eircom do properly inforce the caps and everythings official maybe they mite add an extra few gigs onto the download limit instead, wud be nice, that way less ppl wud go over the limit.

Originally posted by Gonzo
    tuxx if eircom do charge this month you will be charged at least €673.20 for going 22gb over the cap, i cant even afford to take the risk of going 1gb over at around €30 per gig.

but how are they going to charge me with no billing system in place
    but ya it is a bit of a risk

im just making the most of my dsl before the billing system comes in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I've downloaded over 65 gigs so far this month, and uploaded 98 gigs. And i'm under no threat from cap's. I love IBB.

BTW, the max i can possibly upload/download in one month is about 140gigs, so i didn't do too badly this month :p.

want a medal? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Someone did post about a week or two ago that the latest eircom bills contain a warning that they will soon begin charging people for excess usage.

that was me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not to frighten anybody, but who says they need a billing system in place.

It would be very easy for them to put together a special team, list the 100 worst offenders off their DB and manually bill them. At e30 per Gig, it would be well worth their time.

• Advertisement

a question that people probably dont know as only eircom can answer is their method of tracking your data transfers accurate enough to use for billing purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

a question that people probably dont know as only eircom can answer is their method of tracking your data transfers accurate enough to use for billing purposes?
    That depends entirely on who decides whether it's "accurate enough". Unless there's some international standard that they have to follow, I think eircom probably get to decide if it's "accurate enough".

Which means you're screwed :-)

Seriously, though, the system might not be "good enough" to automate billing for thousands of customers, but it's "good enough" to manually bill the worst over users of the system. Even if they gave you "the benefit of the doubt" by only charging you for half of the excess, it could still be a painful bill. But given that they've actually given a "first warning" and said that they'll give a second warning before actually biting, I think you're probably okay for this month.

(This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it :-) If I'm wrong, it's still your bill!)

ya i realise im taking a risk :)

the dslstats seem accurate enough to me, just that they are a day behind always, all eircom really need to do is just look at them and work out whos gone over and by wot amount, and add the cap charge to the months bill. Eircom could turn around tomorrow or any other day and start billing from that day on, as much as I would love to completely blow that cap i just cant afford it even by 1gig.

ok back on topic - coul connect ok last night and downloaded another 150mb - interesting to see can if I can get on tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by kida
    ok back on topic

LOL sorry about that :)

well guys im not going to say im 100% sure its safe to dl as much as you want
    but since i got dsl in january i have consistantly broke the cap on the dsl stats page by 10 gb or more and never been charged
    eircom do not yet have a billing system in place to charge people for breaking caps

on my last bill it said they are working on it and will contact customers before it comes into place

since there are still no contention issues on the eircom network they are probably in no hurry

Right...i am gonna be taking details of people who openly admit to breaking the cap. This **** is messing up other people and their usage.

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Right...i am gonna be taking details of people who openly admit to breaking the cap. This **** is messing up other people and their usage.

first of all i have yet to break my cap and prolly wont, secondly some people have exceeded their caps but it has not messed anyone or cause any harm to the network, thirdly you obviously have very little to worry about if your even thinking of reporting people for going over the cap its their business not yours and finally eircom can judge for themselves by looking at the dslstats who has broken the cap and if they want to charge.

And i also have a right to inform ISP's of users who openly admit to breaking the cap...in public and in writing.

If the ISP's are made aware and users get charged or kicked off 'till the end of the month then people will start to respect the caps and stick to the terms of the contract.

Caps are there for a reason, to ensure everyone gets a fair level of service and fair play for all. Netsource found out all too well what happens when caps are not in place.

10% of users account for 47% of bandwidth which messed things up for other more modest users.

• Advertisement

I can only hope is having a laugh. I mean if IOL get a letter from him saying that kida is over the limit are they really going to be bothered tracking down who this for a whole 650MB of data.

Advertisement