Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone over iol CAP this month?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Right...i am gonna be taking details of people who openly admit to breaking the cap. This **** is messing up other people and their usage.

clearly a troll
    im not even on the same isp as you dont you have anything better to do with your time than worry about how much im downloading?

please explain how my usage is affecting other people
    the eircom network has no contension issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Surely people can break the cap, and pay per mb if thats what they want to do. What gives you the right to the moral high ground?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Caps are caps, IOL most likely won't charge you for going over a few hundread megs. We're talking about people who constantly and KNOWINGLY break the cap each and every time.

Guys who take the piss and go over by Gigs, not the user who went over about 200 megs. It's the guys who deliberatly break the cap, and who are more then likely engaging in illegal activites and copyright theft, that need to be taught a lesson.

Caps are caps, IOL most likely won't charge you for going over a few hundread megs. We're talking about people who constantly and KNOWINGLY break the cap each and every time.

Guys who take the piss and go over by Gigs, not the user who went over about 200 megs. It's the guys who deliberatly break the cap, and who are more then likely engaging in illegal activites and copyright theft, that need to be taught a lesson.

excure me are you accusing me of illegal activites?

Originally posted by tuxx
    clearly a troll
    im not even on the same isp as you dont you have anything better to do with your time than worry about how much im downloading?

please explain how my usage is affecting other people
    the eircom network has no contension issues

It dosen't matter, if you are on the same exchange as me we're all bundled together. ISP's are not split up at the exchange, we're all thrown together until all 192/106 slots are full.

So an Eircom user and and IOL user can effect each other if an IOL user downloads 100 gigs a month. And if one is seen to get away with it another will try.

Soon well have everyone tryna get more then their fare share of the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Guys who take the piss and go over by Gigs, not the user who went over about 200 megs. .

Then its up to IOL to enforce its rules not you .....Do not threaten the members of this board again

Anyway this is getting a tad off topic lads

Originally posted by Gerry
    Surely people can break the cap, and pay per mb if thats what they want to do. What gives you the right to the moral high ground?

People have already said they are breaking the cap in the hopes they will get away with it, course that won't be an issue now since Eircom and Esat have been emailed the link.

UTV monitor the NG already.

excure me are you accusing me of illegal activites?

Read what i said, i didn't imply anything toward you.

Soon well have everyone tryna get more then their fare share of the cake.

and this fair share is decided by you oh great one
    and not by the isp's
    you dont think i have the right to download extra at 3 cent a mb
    is it my fault eircom have yet to start charging for this extra usage
    if contension becomes a problem im sure they will

Originally posted by bizmark
    Then its up to IOL to enforce its rules not you .....Do not threaten the members of this board again

Anyway this is getting a tad off topic lads

I didn't threaten, i stated a fact...i have the right to highlight to ISP's what i have seen on a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by Gerry

I agree.

Besides, Eircom never said I cant go over the cap. They say, if I do, I am liable to get charge. Now if Eircom says that they will cut off ppl for going over the cap then thats a different story.

course that won't be an issue now since Eircom and Esat have been emailed the link.

thank you for making the world a safer place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

ok, to try and get this back on topic and before someones handbag gets broken!!

with the original IOL product I remember a few months were I went as high as 9Gb without being kicked off, so there's obviously some overhead built in there...

must be the same on the higher end product which would explain why you haven't been cut off yet, the bad news is who the hell knows what the overhead is set to?

you could be cut off already and not find out till you get home, or you might be lucky and get the last day and a half out of it...

and this fair share is decided by you oh great one
    and not by the isp's
    you dont think i have the right to download extra at 3 cent a mb
    is it my fault eircom have yet to start charging for this extra usage
    if contension becomes a problem im sure they will

No, the fair share has already been decided by the ISP's with a cap. 16 or 8GB is your fair share.

Go over that and pay for it, yes....but people stating they break the cap constantly in the hopes they get away with it is just wrong.

If you say this in writing and in public i think other users have the right to report them.

Originally posted by Iago
    ok, to try and get this back on topic and before someones handbag gets broken!!

with the original IOL product I remember a few months were I went as high as 9Gb without being kicked off, so there's obviously some overhead built in there...

must be the same on the higher end product which would explain why you haven't been cut off yet, the bad news is who the hell knows what the overhead is set to?

you could be cut off already and not find out till you get home, or you might be lucky and get the last day and a half out of it...

I don't think so, it's quite possible the software dosen't automatically flag up users who break the cap. It's possible someone manually checks stats every few weeks to see who is being downloading the most.

It could be a league table with a list of users with the highest downloads.

i doubt that's the case, there have been users here who were cut off after a few days, and there are any amount of posts of users who have been cut off at various stages during the month

also if there wasn't a software program sitting in the background how would they calculate what usage you have left to use in a given month? on the calculator it tells you how long have left until you go over your limit based on your current daily download average

if they can do it, i'd be very surprised if they didn't have a program in the background cutting people off as they go over the limit..

That logic dosen't explain why folks who have broken the cap were not automatically cut off?

If that were the case, anyone who went over 16GB, even slightly, would be cut off.
    I agree that software is calculating usage, but i don't think it automatically cuts people off.

I still suggest it's manually checked and a decision is taken for overall usage by that customer, they track usage and trends etc.

Then decide who needs a booty call.

I see your point, but that takes me back to my orginal theory, there is an overhead built into it.

They say that they'll cut you off at 16GB and if they did cut you off at exactly that point you could call up and say it's not fair, you didn't realise you were so close etc etc...

but if they say they'll cut you off at 16GB and actually allow you a bit of leeway, say 17 or 18GB then you can have no complaints, not only are you over the 16GB limit you've gone at least a gig over it, significant in anyone's book..

all they would have to do is set the program to do an automatic cutoff at 17 or whatever, makes more sense than having someone manually sift through user logs throughout the month, a lot of time and effort for something that could be written into a checker fairly quickly...IMO anyway

I could live with that, everyone from time to time can and does go over a little. The usage meter only updates every 24 hours....so you don't have real time monitoring of usage.

So a litle overhead of a few hundread megs would be OK, but not gigs...

you seem to think that iols recent poor performance is because of people abusing caps
    iol cut people off for going over the cap
    eircom dont care about people going over it
    yet eircoms service has been perfect yet iols has been very poor
    what does that say to you?

hint: one of the isp's has a network that is below par

• Advertisement

Tuxx,

I agree in principle, I don't think that IOL's recent performance has anything to do with people and their caps, (although as I mentioned in another thread I haven't really had any issues)

and the ISP with the crap network, that must be eircom you're talking about :)

I think the main issue for iol and the other providers is the fact that all users are on the same pipe from the exchange to the handoff per isp, perhaps eircom retails handoff is earlier, or maybe they are getting some preferential treatment...wouldn't be the first time there was a sabotaging of the competition by eircon...

on the other hand maybe IOL are having network and system issues that for whatever reason they can't fix, wouldn't be the first time for that either!! I think though that eircoms users are probably having as many problems as everyone else, just that there aren't as many of them posting here on boards, in fairness, nearly everybody here would rather go with joe bloggs telecom than eircom so maybe it's not a fair split, just a thought...

you seem to think that iols recent poor performance is because of people abusing caps
    iol cut people off for going over the cap
    eircom dont care about people going over it
    yet eircoms service has been perfect yet iols has been very poor
    what does that say to you?

hint: one of the isp's has a network that is below par

Not at all, i have consistently said it's an issue with Esat, a server issue or an exchange issue. But contention WILL come into play in time, and caps and respecting them are apart of that.

I am not blaming people going over the caps for my current problems, but it's one factor that could become an issue down the line.

Originally posted by Iago
    Tuxx,

perhaps eircom retails handoff is earlier, or maybe they are getting some preferential treatment...wouldn't be the first time there was a sabotaging of the competition by eircon...

I think though that eircoms users are probably having as many problems as everyone else, just that there aren't as many of them posting here on boards, in fairness, nearly everybody here would rather go with joe bloggs telecom than eircom so maybe it's not a fair split, just a thought...

i dont believe this to be true there are probably just as many eircom uses on this board as other isp's
    if eircom were having problems like iol are then im sure there would of been posts here about it
    eircom is the most reliable dsl provider and this is why alot of gamers choose them
    in the 3 months i have had eircom dsl i have never had any downtime,pings higher than 40ms to uk servers or download speeds slower than 52 kbs

and i do believe this may be due to preferential treatment
    but if the other isp's are not prepared to kick up a fuss about it then they arnt worth going to as you will get a sub par service

Eircom own all the hadware, any hardware by other ISP has to be maintained by their staff. I doubt Eircom are gonna call them about a problem.

I agree Eircom are the most reliable, because it's all their hardware and engineers based at the exchange.

fair point tuxx, although I haven't had that many problems on IOL it's clear that a lot of people have, i've been getting good pings for gaming and high download speeds..

I've downloaded over 12gb this month and most nights I game for an hour or two anyway, but as i said I seem to be in the minority of IOL users, seems strange that IOL haven't come out in public and stated that eircom aren't helping them the way they should be, surely comreg would be interested...

Note I said interested, not competant or able to do anything about it!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i only have broadband 7 weeks and prior to getting it I thought that perhaps my broadband from eircom wouldnt be as good/stable as the broadband that i had experienced in the UK (freeserve) but to my surprise its been excellent, my pings often beat my m8 who is on freeserve and thats to his rented server in london, my speeds have always been high with solid download rates but with all the bad press i been reading here lately about iol and utv in particular im beginning to also think that maybe eircom users get the better equipment/bandwidth wotever its called.

You might be right Gonzo, Eircom may just be the option...at least they can't blame UTV or Esat if things go belly up.

Advertisement