Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you most about your college?

• 29-03-2004 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

This thread was inspired by the 30 minutes I spent trying to find a computer that worked in the Arts building in Trinity. There are around 24 computers in the lobby and there are only 5 working and one of those doesnt have a mouse:mad: surely the budget could stretch to get a few new ones.
    What other annoying stuff happens in the other colleges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

in re: UCD

not enough pc's - most using win98

crappy & expensive food
    sub standard, overpriced coffee

professional talkers in the law secton of library
    library hours & not enough core course books for subjects

lecturers who dont use online classes system

no where safe to park your bike

1st years

....I could go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Re: DCU

Ugly women and the fact that all the decent looking women only appear at exam time or in Freshers week. The rest of the time they must hide out in the Business School or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Maynooth-It seems 10'C colder than everywhere else.
    Also there's no such thing as nearby,it seems like no matter where you are,where you want to go is miles away!
    THE FOOTBRIDGE.The bane of our lives.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The engineering building's heating system: The colder it is outside, the colder the air you get pumped at you in the theatres. It's like sitting in the North Pole for 2 hours every morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

DCU

the clubs are grand, but the socs are all organised by tossers, some of which contain ALL tossers.

waste of €4 a pop.

only the celtic supp soc is worth a sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

DCU :

1:as stated before- Alot of ugly women

2:The college is full of dry ****es

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

College soccer

we in DIT travel to say, Sligo IT, Trinity, Cork U, Tralee IT and DCU in a season for away games as well as Collingwood cup.

ALL OTHER COLLEGES have pitches on site - near lecture rooms so on a sunny day they have all their mates out around the pitch and it really is a big help and tough for us guys! Especially in some country areas where they hate us dubs!

We play in Grange Gorman, ages away from DIT and its a pain- no real home advantage accept for less travelling!

And even I have to travel a fair bit to get there as a HOME player!!! Although funny that Im one of only TWO guys on the first team in DIT from the south side i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

The Snackery in Kevin St.

God, its a hole.

The rest of Kevin St isn't that hot either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The canteen in Carlow IT. They serve overpriced muck.

/me spits on Campbells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

maynooth:

as stated before, the footbridge.
    the muck - our trademark
    the library, crap hours, crap selection
    queues for the photocopiers / computers
    the extortionate pricing for on-campus accomodation
    the extortionate pricing for the "food" they serve in the canteen and the groceries in the canteen shop
    the constant sound of builders "building" even during exams
    the one nightclub - god help us all - if we wanted to attent cattle marts of a weekend we would have stayed at home in the country
    the su - cheap booze? i think not
    the roost - nice barstaff? i think not
    as i think was stated in my firstyear handbook: the girls all have the (unofficially) biggest, saggiest asses ever. called it the "Romaos" (our chipper) syndrone. also whats with the hoodies?? EVERYONE WEARS THEM

give me time.... i'll remember more things...

• Advertisement

what about the idiotic SU hacks who seem to thrive in UCD - they ****lng sicken me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

The SU in UL. bunch of pretentious f**ks

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Ah Maynooth....

The long walk from old to new campus.
    The freezing cold winters!
    The coffee bar and it's crapinness!
    Conversations with philosophy students!
    The Glenroyal because we need somewhere else!
    The aula maxima

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Right, im in my fourth year at gmit castlebar. its much smaller than any of the previously mentioned colleges and its a bit **** tbh.
    Heres some things i've noticed.

First of all i've not met a SU member in any college that wasnt a pretentious prick. ever.

Secondly, i dont think there is one college canteen in the country that doesnt overprice and provide reasonably good food. (Our canteen is operated by campbell catering btw. The staff are really nice people. But the food.....)

First years will ALWAYS be annoying to you, especially when you're not one. (remember you were more naieve back then too)

labs will rarely ever be stocked with modern computers with up to date software.
    AND there will never be any toner in the printer when you need to print out your project.

Also for every One competant, dedicated lecturer (that have their job because they wanted to be a lecturer and may actually give a **** if you learn or not) there will be approximatly 5+ incompetant fools that are just there to because they couldnt take the stress of another job where they would actually have to work and not have people like us students to blame their falling short on.

Dont talk to me about freezing cold winters, we've put €450 in our oil tank already this year, and the last bit is nearly gone.

We have but one sports pitch and thats for soccer. Its used by all teams (about 8) to train on. so its in **** condition.

We have NO college bar.

I've been to DCU, UL, Carlow IT, UCC, TIT, Sligo IT, Blanchardstown(sp), Queens University, St. Pats (teachers college i think), GMIT galway, UCG, Cavan IT, Tipp. Institute and more ones too.....
    And i cannot remember one time when i could say the ladies were better looking in my coll.

Btw, do any of you maynooth goers know the girl who died in that terrible freak accident a week ago? She was a sister of a friend of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Btw, do any of you maynooth goers know the girl who died in that terrible freak accident a week ago? She was a sister of a friend of mine.

didn't know her. my deepest sympathies to your friend tho.
    she was a fourth year science student, wasn't she?
    it was really a tragic, tragic accident.
    can still see the tree that caused it. broke at the bass, went through two walls and onto the road.
    puts things into perspective...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by catho_monster
    maynooth:

the extortionate pricing for the "food" they serve in the canteen and the groceries in the canteen shop

give me time.... i'll remember more things...

is there anyone out there who doesn't actually moan about the quality/price of food in their canteen. just back from lunch at the maynooth canteen and i say it was fine. a main meal costs €4.65 and there's a different choice everyday (including vegetarian).

its a college, not the ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Panda

heard about that allright, know that bridge well. Between that and ur man in UCD, they serve to remind us that we know neither the hour nor the place.

My gripe re: UCD?
    the place has become a police state. Can do nothing studenty anymore. I've been kicked of football fields for playing football. WTF?

yes well you see UCD is going the way that if some corporate sponsor of the college president's hankerchief doesn't like people playing football, then services decree "no football".

Do they ask bill gates for permission to run windows 98 every morning? Something says 'maybe'....

UCD essentially has come under the control of corporate interests - well at least that my rant with which i can explain why everything bad in ucd happens!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

UL:

hard to know which frickin laptop stations have working network ports.

no 24hr labs anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I thought the vax went 24 hour from week 6. And i'm nearly sure the mech eng computer lab is 24 hour albeit with swipe access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I dislike the worse-than-civil-service-type administration.
    In general, no-one will go the least bit out of their way to help you with something important if it means them doing any extra work at all, and the most frustrating thing is availability, many places are only "open" for very small time-windows on certain days when the celestial bodies align in the form of Artist-formerly-known-as-prince's symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

First of all i've not met a SU member in any college that wasnt a pretentious prick. ever.

I really hate statements like this. As a former SU officer I have met so many hardworking officers who actually do care about the students that they serve. Yes there are some pretentious pricks but I would have to say only about 5 - 10% of them are.

This statement is even more annoying because every student is a member of the SU

Also I actually believe that the people who actually criticise and moan about SUs never seem to do anything constructive and positive to change their SU

All of the above issues in this thread could be tackled if SUs had the support of their members

"Ask not what your SU can do for you, Ask what you can do for your SU"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

UCC - Campbells Catering serving inedible meat, cream of salt/cream of pepper soup, coffee that tastes like tar, tea that tastes like lead.
    The staff in Exams/Records (ffs, the staff in the other admin departments are actually civil towards the students, why can't you lot be?).
    People who think they're better than the undergrads (postgrads, certain staff members). Was once punished for correcting a lecturer when he said it was a health hazard having to share toilet facilities with students.
    Security staff having fire drills in the computer science labs several times a day just to piss off students while they're working on their projects (excuse given: "they weren't reacting quickly enough after a while, so we'll just have to schedule more fire drills").
    Having lectures finish at 6:00, and the no.8 bus not operating between 6:00 and 7:00 for some reason (even though there are buses scheduled every 15 mins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Well I've only been in DIT a month....but so far....erm....no...I'll be nice and not say anything....:D

2 years in CIT....and no bar....until I leave, they're finally getting one! :rolleyes:

Probably waited 'til I left to get one

:dunno:

Originally posted by Panda
    [
    Btw, do any of you maynooth goers know the girl who died in that terrible freak accident a week ago? She was a sister of a friend of mine. [/B]

That was so sad....are there loads of old trees on the campus or something? Just one of those freak things but it's really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

UCC -

Campbells Catering.
    The library (when did we last get new books?).
    The French department.
    'Certain' staff members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

NUIG's library -

Overcrowded so most of the books I need are stored in the basement and have to be ordered a day ahead - this is a real pain if you only want to check small details.

The library catalogue is often incorrect.

Books are arranged in an illogical manner at times. Example: A catalogue of Irish manuscripts in 8 parts - the first 6 parts are shelved in one room (out of which they're not allowed to be removed) and the other 2 parts (which contain the index and are thus necessary for finding items in parts 1-6) are stored in the basement. Argh!

The special collections room (for rare books) is only open from 9 to 5 and they take an hour and a half break at lunch time. It's a real pain for night owls like myself.

I could go on...

Apart from that, NUIG's a cool college, though.

NUIG looks like a lovely college. Had a look around there a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

DCU:
    1. the henry grattan
    2.canteen prices
    3.su president!!!!!!!
    4.cs students
    5.csd
    6.the bouncers in the hub
    7.lack of talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

DCU -
    • Henry Grattan Building
    • Librarians
    • Prices for printing/photocopying
    • Lack of any decent books for our course
      {*]Stupid friggin' Applied Science shite for our IT practicals which is irrelevant to us!
    • The price to join clubs and socs.
    • Lack of any kind of atmosphere in the student bar etc.
    • The same shite bands and ents. for each event
    • CS Students
    • Prices in the bar
    • All the people smoking around the entrances to the buildings.

etc.

Advertisement