Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you most about your college?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

CS Students??

WTF?

Maybe I'm drunk....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by ClareBear
    NUIG looks like a lovely college. Had a look around there a few years ago.

Yeah it has come on in leaps and bounds since my first stint there in the early 90's. It was so overcrowded then that we used to have our lunch sitting on the floor outside the canteen most days. You'd even get rows of students eating on the floor in the corridors heading down towards the toilets. RTE came and filmed us doing this back in '91. :(

In those days were two photocopiers in the entire library which took five pence and two pence pieces so you can imagine what the queues were like. In '93 computer suite availability was so restricted that myself and my two flatmates ended up buying typewriters from the ESB to finish our final year projects. Graduations took place in Smokey Joe's (ie the coffee shop), complete with leaking roof.

These days my main gripe is with the administration, especially the fees office which has developed an annoying habit of sending me notices for fees that I have already paid. I love the way they now state on the docket that you may be asked to produce proof you've paid at any time during the year. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

DCU - Spar shop , robbing shower of ba&tards

Campus Res : again a shower of tossers, they fine you 20 euro if you lock yourself out of your room after 5 o clock. 5 euro during the day. Only get one key.

Library: Its full of losers from the first week studying. Get into the fcuking bar and get some life into the college.

Security: Tossers of the highest order :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by simu
    NUIG's library -

Overcrowded so most of the books I need are stored in the basement and have to be ordered a day ahead - this is a real pain if you only want to check small details.

Do they not let postgrads just wander down and bring up their own books anymore? I never actually asked, but when I was there nobody ever batted an eyelid provided that you didn't take up theses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

Originally posted by jonhate
    CS Students??

WTF?

Maybe I'm drunk....

yeah counter strike students.... you can tell by the wearing of the thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

On the whole scale of things DCU isn't bad at all.

Having been in all three Dublin Universities now I think that DCU has muppetry on a smaller scale.

That said, colleges are much of a muchness in term sof screwing over students.

The grass is always greener and all that (although I do think that UCD treats students best).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    Ah Maynooth....

The long walk from old to new campus.
    The freezing cold winters!
    The coffee bar and it's crapinness!
    Conversations with philosophy students!
    The Glenroyal because we need somewhere else!
    The aula maxima

You slut!! I'm one of those philosophy students you have conversations with! I hope you mean the other 3 schmos though! If it's them you mean, I hear ya barking!

Maynooth:

1. It's the muck centre of the universe
    2. The exquisite food-like substances served in the canteen.
    3. Pretty much all the muppets running the SU.
    4. The fact that maynooth feels like a walk-in freezer. It gets SO cold
    5. The evil footbridge
    6. The Aula Maxima - thank God I don't have any more lectures in there.
    7. Mature Students hogging all the stuff on reserve in the library when you need it.
    8. How far the snooker hall is from all my classes these days.
    9. Coffee Bar Mitzvah
    10.One staff memeber in the library. No names mentioned. I bet Bungalow knows who I'm talking about!;)

Things I really like:

1. Tony Kirby!
    2. Beating Bungalow Bill at pool.

Overall though, I really enjoy going to college in Maynooth. I wen to DIT Aungier St. for a while, and for me, it kicks DIT's ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Jaysus, half the board seems to go to Maynooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

ahh, hard luck lads, shoulda studied in your leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by jonhate
    CS Students??

WTF?

Maybe I'm drunk....

Communications... DCU's arts course :), do very little and moan alot...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by L5
    DCU - Spar shop , robbing shower of ba&tards

ahh the undercooked, badly prepared rolls made in the most unhygienic way possible... how i miss them..

:p

Originally posted by decob
    ahh the undercooked, badly prepared rolls made in the most unhygienic way possible... how i miss them..

:p

overpriced, you forgot overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Do they not let postgrads just wander down and bring up their own books anymore? I never actually asked, but when I was there nobody ever batted an eyelid provided that you didn't take up theses.

I'm working on it - the library staff must be fed up of getting long lists of books to fetch for me on a regular basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

I.T. Tallaght: The distance to the nearest shop to get smokes and all the red tape involved in setting up a society.

Originally posted by T.G Catter
    overpriced, you forgot overpriced.

I forgot to say alot of things about them :p

shower of muppets..

have u ever noticed how the staff in that spar have the strangest surnames.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by T.G Catter
    have u ever noticed how the staff in that spar have the strangest surnames.

maybe its a job requirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

My list of grievances is very similar to 80project's.

Expensive, poor quality coffee and bad, overpriced food is a particular hate of mine.

For me, though, the most annoying thing has to be the sheer ignorance of the average student in the library.

80p, I spend most of my time up at the Development Studies library, which is now stuck up beside Ag and Science, and I can assure you that chronic talking isn't limited to the law library. I had to go down to the photocopying alcove last week because some Oompa Loompa and her cock-jock mates were shouting at each other while she was probably doing the first photocopying of her life. People came down to inspect what was going on from the far end of the library, but no one said anything. I went up to them and they stopped.

So, my other major pet hate is people who don't give out to these ignorant people.

And it's not just talking. It's blocking the escalators, blocking the entrance to the library, talking on their mobiles in the library, applying make up, talking, talking talking.

I honestly fear for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I hear ya Dada!!

I'll be back using the Library in UCD in the summer (got an allumni card).

Its about the only time of the year that you can get wrok done but then the hours are **** and no weekends :(

OBriens coffee is not bad but too far away in Sports Centre and expensive. Perk Coffee gives severe headaches for some reason.

I think, perhaps, a petition should be sent to Brady to get the library opened until 6 or 7 because loads of us Masters students are doing theses through the summer.

Totally uncool. Save the money and stop this idiotic 24 hour thing - get the library opened longer at weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

In DCU the well overpriced Spar shop and the annoying, loud group of Cork girls that chatter on like a pack of hyenas in the library when i'm trying to do some work.

I had to tell another couple to shut up when they decided to discuss what they had for dinner last night. They smirked at me and looked at me as if I was mental. Broef conversations about college work is one thing, but keep casual conversation outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Save the money and stop this idiotic 24 hour thing - get the library opened longer at weekends!

Is there a proposal for 24 hrs ???

L5 is now open 24-5 for the next four weeks. Classrooms have been set aside for a pilot scheme.

Personally, I don't believe students should be encouraged to study all night, but shave off a few hours from that and keep the library open longer at weekends, and until 12 every weeknight.

They should also invest in anti-annoying-people LibroCops for those Ooompa Loompas, Jocks and Boggers.

No, serious, more efforts should be made by staff and students alike to encourage students to be more aware of how they disrupt others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Irrelevant until you have nowhere to live, of suddenly got pregnant but have no money to get the morning after pill, or you need financial assistance to set up a student support group.

I'll give you the fac that most SU hacks are self-obsessed mongs. They annoy me, too. But SU's were set up for a very good reason and they provide important services for students who are in need.

Only irrelevant to people who are cushy enough not to need their assistance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ciaran Weafer, Fergal Scully and that shower of nitwits we had this year seem more interested in their anti-deportation campaign and kicking the **** outta the minister than in genuine student issues. If they didn't spend money on banners and buses for irrelevant demonstrations that no students care about then the union might be able to be more relevant and useful to its paying members.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

TCD

The new photocopiers:First, they want me to pay, then they set up these unreal machines that are supposed to facilitate this but never actually work, then they say paper is free, but it's never replaced when it runs out, add in some incredibly long queues for a computer to print from before you find out that the printer in the room doesnt work, and then you've got a trek to another computer room on the other side of the universe (campus), and a rapidly approaching deadline which isn't going anywhere.

Never mind the red tape involved with tying to access college subscriptions when you're not in college. :(

But other than that, i love my uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

IT Sligo-

notice noone else whinging bout here so i may as well,incase ye think its a great place or something

firstly:minging canteen food,cambells catering once again,although this is their first year here the previous were no better,except they sold homestead water at an extorsionate price instead of their own brand water at a similarly ridiculus price.

secondly:the leitrim bar and envy niteclub.basically there is just one nite club for students,toffs is open on a thurs nite,clarence on tues+thurs but is dodgy.the leitrim bar is a cross between a suicide bombing and a cattle mart-zero comfort and red necks goin "wild"

thirdly: standard of music played in pubs/clubs.theres a few resident student djs,ie grown men who never wanna get a real job and wanna watch young ones with nice clevage dance for the rest of their lives.they play the worst music and teh same music every night.
    im in college 3years and have lost count of the amount of times iv heard "summer of 69" "streets of new york" and "sweet child of mine"
    aaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Photocopiers? Don't get me started on copi-print in UCD. They're even worse than computing services.

* The revaluator in the eng building didn't work - me treks across to the arts block to revaluate my card.
    * /me stays in arts block to do my copying. First machine's sheet feeder is so ****1n worn that it jams with all the pages, and there's no staples in the auto-stapler.
    * /me sees another machine, this one's feeder surprisingly works (/me is not an arts student and hence doesn't enjoy copying stuff the manual way). Still no staples.
    * return to engineering building, nearly time for coffee
    * /me then needs to use the one in the eng building. the stapler surprisingly is full, but the feeder surprise surprise doesn't work properly. Now i've no idea what i copied.

Advertisement