Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you most about your college?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

WIT-
    -overpriced food in the canteen and the student bar
    -we got a fantastic new IT building this year and a library a few years back but the opening hours are useless
    -library staff- they've got a major chip on their shoulder
    -price of photocopying and printing
    -lack of availablility of printing facilities

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

library staff aren't all bad - they're very nice, you just need to get to know them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Red Alert
    library staff aren't all bad - they're very nice, you just need to get to know them :)

Maybe I've just been unlucky with the ones I've had runs ins with, some fairly cranky women in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

well i guess for me in UCD it has to be:

~the stereotypical southside girls
    ~the entire C&E Society
    ~una......first years will know who i mean
    ~dickwag
    ~2nd and 3rd years who say they hate first years (very short memories there lads)
    ~the minging coffee on campus
    ~the so-called social events that are ALWAYS in poxy anabels or bloody coyote!

i pinning a lot of faith on cashman! he better sort it out next year!
    (god imagine that ciara one had've been elected!!! oh my gawd like it'd be the best year EVER!!!!!! but only if u wear boat shoes and ur dad owns a yacht!)

well, i voted for ciara but i don't really care who gets that gig. neither of the two recent ents officers have been anything to write home about. only thing i worry about with cashman and his cashmen is that he doesn't seem to have very much interest in other music styles and doesn't plan to include House, HipHop or Jazz in his manifesto. although that said, if he does manage to pull off the UCD ball it just might kick off an annual tradition.

yes, we all indeed hate the C&E Society. I quote from Ross O'Caroll Kelly "We're all there chanting 'WE HATE C&E' and the loike commerce and economics society goys are loike totally bulling". why don't they just re-name it D4Soc? at least like engsoc they do actually organise decent ents which is very welcome.

Why do you hate coyote? Annabels is kinda a sixth-year going into first year thing, but coyote's the business! A nice loud clean sound system, 2 decent sized bars, lovely little intimate hideaways.... what's the deal man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

WIT-
    Almost impossible to find a computer during the day, and when you do find one, it probably doesnt have to software you needed anyway. grrr!!

Hence, I bring my laptop with me everyday.

Also - the "laptops shouldnt be connected to the college network" thing. Whats with that. From reading other people's posts it seems to not be a problem in other colleges around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Originally posted by peachypants

i pinning a lot of faith on cashman! he better sort it out next year!
    (god imagine that ciara one had've been elected!!! oh my gawd like it'd be the best year EVER!!!!!! but only if u wear boat shoes and ur dad owns a yacht!)
    I know Ciara, used to play squash with her when I was younger. She's not D4ish at all, and as far as I know her dad doesn't own a yacht! She's doing sports management which isn't very D4ish either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

red alert: just not a coyote fan i have to say. loads of student nights organised there for UCD so now to me it just represents "you've been tangoed" heaven.

and blondie: blonde by name blonde by nature eh?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

Originally posted by Kalina
    WIT-
    -overpriced food in the canteen and the student bar
    -we got a fantastic new IT building this year and a library a few years back but the opening hours are useless
    -library staff- they've got a major chip on their shoulder
    -price of photocopying and printing
    -lack of availablility of printing facilities

id agree with everything you said but the IT building is absolute ****e-there is no software of any significance. the software they have on it is office and some german and french languages ****e which is off great help to a "I.T"student.being an IT student my self i find it crap because whenever i go over to get a computer, im kicked out by a lecturer who is teaching the first year business/recreational mangement classes how to type a ****en letter.

i hate those eejits in the chemical engineering department in UCD - they're always booking the big computer room as well as their own one even just for tiny classes. what a shower of feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Studying.

Assignments and labs I can do, but when it comes to pulling out the books of got the lethargy of an arthiritic sloth on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Another annoying thing about Maynooth-
    The group hobby for bored Arts students, cleverly disguised as The Anti-Coke campaign.If it was even an original idea, but no, UCD had been doing it long beforehand.The referendum result was a big fat NO...that's the power of Science students for ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Grrr

Have just found out that in summer NUIG's library only opens from 9 am to 5:30 pm Monday to Friday. Nice to see they care about postgrad students who have tons of things to research in there during the summer.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

TippInst :
    so many things..
    head of which: language classes - consisting of 5 people _at most_ taking up a computer lab... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

just noticed this subject....

ITBlanchardstown..

Tis a cool collage and all, but the library cannot be forgiven. It has the sh*tist policies ever, heres 2

1) This annoying person who goes around and tells u u cant have drinks or food, and wants to see ur student id.

2) Wait for it now.. WE. THE STUDENTS. CANNOT. BRING OUR BAGS INTO THE LIBRARY.

Yes u heard right, we arent allowed to bring our f*cking bags into the library. We've to get our pens/pencils (shud really buy a pencil case, havent had one since, 2nd class in primary) and books and bring em in. cos. NO BAGS ALLOWED.

sigh........... roll on 2nd yr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Stupid idiot jocks and jockettes who feign "posh" accents and dress hideously (nee naaa - fashion police)

Fake tanners

G19 (i detest the seats)

Besides these minor imperfections, UCC is a cool place to be with a good atmosphere and 80% decent people!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

In UCC, having to park about 5kms from campus and walk. About time for a mutli-storey, i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

Ya G19 is terrible alright just like that rest of the Kane Building. Hate the way that even thought they put loads of new computers in the boole basement it seems to take longer than ever to get to one!
    Ok there are some jocks in ucc but I'd say no way near as bad as ucd.

Totally with you on that one. UCD is way way worse.
    Also about the car parking - TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! The Lough is the nearest palce to park so I just walk. UCD always has spaces, why not the same in UCC????
    I am actually afraid of G19- its the seats - they defy gravity!!!!!!!!!! Scary ****!

I'm terrified of G19, it goes so far back, those steps look kind of dangerous too,only had 1 class a week there, even that was too much!It looks so comfortable on the outside!Couldn't believe that people went there to study on Sundays when the library closed during the exams. Ever had a class in one of the engineering buildings? The seats went back so steeply you'd get altitude sickness!
    You could park in that place near dennehys cross, ucc even have a bus that will take you to the college from the carpark.
    That art gallery is annoying too, I've nothing against art but I think the college could have used it for something better now that they have got all these budget problems.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind the steps- it's the seats that get me! I'm always terrified that they'll collapse n the whole room will turn around and laugh!!!! I Love the booles - so comfy! What course do you do so we can bitch about lecturers?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Originally posted by DawnMc
    What course do you do so we can bitch about lecturers?!!!

careful - I've been known to lecture in G19 and in the boole ... :)

The Boole reminds me of being in the cinema, Boole 3 on a Friday morning for management, sit up the back in against the wall, put the head down on a jumper and you got yourself a nice little place to sleep!
    Me be going into 2nd year government, the GPP lecturerers are not that bad, not as stuff as you'd think, when I first started thought they would be all wearing tweed jackets with the leather patches and dickie bows!The head of the department was dancing on a chair at the government ball for the whole of GPP to see, sound man he is!Most of the others were crap though especially the management ones who were talking out their backsides for the whole year, they run their classes like a secondary school, telling grown ups that they can't sit next to each other and all that.
    As for lecturing in the boole and g19, you are a bigger man than me, having all those peope looking at you, I cant even do those stupid presentations in front of my own class.

those stupid little fold down desks in g19 that are way too small to hold anything or take proper notes!the seats in g2 as well, not good!

I know what ya mean bout the Booles being like a cinema but seeing as I'm a lazy bum of an arts student the booles usually ARE a cinema for me - for american cinema! I went up to college yesterday and it's completely covered with people studying for the repeats - scary stuff! I'm going into 3rd year but my friend is starting GPP this year - any advice I can pass on?

Kinda wish I was doing arts now!GPP 1 is ok, easy enough in 1st year, easier again next year, 10 subjects instead of 12 next year. Watch out for local gov and public and private sector management lecturerers, could make life hard!Everyone else is ok. leaving cert history also is a big help, you'll touch on it a lot so keep the notes. There is not much politics stuff in 1st year. Not many really like the course though, not what people expected it to be but thats the way it goes. Repeaters, poor people, glad I'm not one of them, at least the weather is crap which should make the study more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

When I was in first year in UCC, I actually had Irish lectures in the kino cinema - very comfortable!

I think the nurses have class in the gate cinema.Would not mind that or the kino myself!

Hmmm.....Kino.......very interesting. It is really comfy - went to see monster there. So how are ye all feeling bout the big return to college which forever looms in front of us???

• Advertisement

Don't really mind going back. The sooner you go back the sooner it will be over again. Not even 6 months of lectures last year. We still got 2 months off, only half way through. Never thought I would get sick of it.........

Advertisement