Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISA Server 2000

Options
  • 29-03-2004 4:05pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever use this????

Ive come across this in some work ive been doing and to be honest Im not
    sure where to begin.. Ive gone through all the documentation and such
    but I dont want to go messing around with it as its been setup by someone who
    looks like they didnt have a clue what they were doing and its all over the place..

So does anyone want to give me a qucik overview of it and where to begin as im
    kinda lost here :confused:

Some handy links would be good or even a recommendation for a good reference
    books...

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What are you looking for Specifically?
    We use it.
    Works a treat from what I can see!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Initially I was trying to setup OWA for Exchange 2K..

So I was looking through it and everything seems fine.. I have the OWA working
    internally but when I sat down and looking carefully ISA there are rules all over the
    place setup on it and someone of them make no sense whatsoever..

As in there are rules allowing for specific applications out but not allowing the
    same channel back in, FTP out on port 21 but no rule to allow back in on port 20
    etc etc etc.. so Im kinda half afraid to go near this thing as knowing my luck it will
    fall over and Ill spend the weekend rebuilding the whole bloody thing..

Ive never used it before so I guess im a little nervous at getting stuck into something
    thats not been setup correctly in the first place with me having no experience at
    all in this area..

Tox

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Was looking at the isaserver.org site.. good site.. well impressed with that one

cheers Chip..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

"OWA for Exchange 2K.." Forgive my ignorance but whatis OWA?

Our ISA server is specifically for (Proxied) Internet Access.
    Sorry man you've kinda lost me!
    Anyway. I would say if your in any doubt dont touch it!

• Advertisement

OWA = Outlook Web Access

its a web front end for the Outlook that all allows you to view your work based email
    through a web browser using a standard internet connection... fecking dead handy
    thing..

Tox

Originally posted by Gillie
    "OWA for Exchange 2K.." Forgive my ignorance but whatis OWA?

Our ISA server is specifically for (Proxied) Internet Access.
    Sorry man you've kinda lost me!
    Anyway. I would say if your in any doubt dont touch it!

Im thinkin the same myself.. but what I may propose is that I suggest that i rebuild
    the whole thing before I add anything new..

That way, I can properly document all rules etc and to be honest half the things
    setup are not required, FTP etc..

Tox

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OWA - is web => port 80 like any normal web server - unless you have ssl or something running (port 445 or something)

ISA - Is a filewall so I assume you have to open port 80 on it to allow the litttle darlings get at your web server.

And you are right to be afraid if you dont' know what your are doing and it is the only thing between your lan and the big bad internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

ISA isn't over complicated to configure...what are the requirements that you are looking for in the Firewall/Proxy?

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    OWA - is web => port 80 like any normal web server - unless you have ssl or something running (port 445 or something)

ISA - Is a filewall so I assume you have to open port 80 on it to allow the litttle darlings get at your web server.

And you are right to be afraid if you dont' know what your are doing and it is the only thing between your lan and the big bad internet

Ive configured Firewalls before, Checkpoint and Gauntlet and yes Ill be running SSL
    certs on it so port 443 is required for the connection.. thats not the problem tho, I
    dont know exactly what this guy who set it up before me so its a case of where i
    could set it up and walk away and then get a call a few weeks later telling me
    someone has hacked their network or something because of this last guys crap
    work.. so I end up getting the blame for his stupidity.

I dont know how it hasnt been hacked before..

I was thinkin of running something like kerio on the server so act as a second firewall, disable ISA services so its not actually running and then configure kerio to allow OWA and all the various applications run successfully.. then I can spend time over the next while going through all the various applications they use adjusting ISA.. this way I cover myself..

Tox

• Advertisement
Advertisement