Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand National

• 29-03-2004 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

...any decent early tips for the National???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

i got a tip for hedge hunter.i heard he will take a hell of a beating.i got him @25/1 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

yah i got that tip too... imo bindaree will do it, so i've money on both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Tip? For the G/N?

Here's a tip. Buy the paper on Saturday morning. Open the middle page (normally the one with the race course outline and fence names). Cut out the section with the horses and riders. Hand that to the nearest 18mnth old. The piece he/she does not eat contains the name of the winner.

or

Back a few, with long odds.

or

Save your money and don't go near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Amberleigh House @14/1 and Bindaree @ 16/1 would be a good bet each way

timbera is out of the grand national.
    he didnt scope well.

• Advertisement

i have recived a tip for exit to wave.hes about 33/1 in the betting ruby walsh will ride it.

i heard he has been set up for this race by running over the wrong trip.

you can get him @ 40/1 on the paddy power site here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Creon

i got a tip for the JP McManus horse First Gold so i'm going to go wit that amoungst others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    you can get him @ 40/1 on the paddy power site

75/1 on Betfair.......... 14/1 for a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anybody know who Tony McCoy will be riding for the National?

Will it be Juracon or is somebody else pencilled in for that?

I'm guessing part of the reason behind Juracon moving from 14s to 9s is that McCoy will be on him - but that doesnt seem to have been confirmed anywhere.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Anybody know who Tony McCoy will be riding for the National?

Will it be Juracon or is somebody else pencilled in for that?

I'm guessing part of the reason behind Juracon moving from 14s to 9s is that McCoy will be on him - but that doesnt seem to have been confirmed anywhere.
    yes AP will be riding Juracon but i wouldnt advise that you back it.
    hey thats just my opinion,i think that exit to wave,bindaree,and bear on board have better chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Paddy Power are paying out for the 1st 5 horses.

The doubt I have with Bindaree is that no horse has carried more than 11 stone and won in the last 20 years. I suppose there can always be the exception to prove the rule and at 22/1 as he was a couple of days ago he certainly was worth an e/w punt. 12/1 isnt good value though.

Anyways I nearly always bet on either Geraghty, Walsh or Carberry! If Montys Pass was 10-7 again this year I'd be on him big time again, but at 11-10 he's been handicapped out of it, so I'll be going with Ruby and Paul.

I had an awful lot of money on Moskow Flyer today, got him at 6/4. I feel safe sticking a fair bit on toptipster's tip, Control man in the 4.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    You do know that that tip is the Each-Way tip. The win tip was Isio which lost!
    Yeah, I know. Cheers, I should have said.:)

Bloody good day for the Bookie's so far the winners are a 9/1, 25/1, 33/1, 14/1 and Moskow Flyer. Control man came nowhere.

Rooster, good post. Very interesting. You're someone who knows what he's talking about.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    I'll be going with Ruby and Paul.
    Yep, always a combination to seriously consider. But this time around I'm a bit unsure about their horse ............. never won beyond 2 1/4 miles. And, I'm not certain the animal is as good as he once was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Clan Royal is who im going with.

i won a nice few pound on amberleigh house which i predicted to win!!! did anyone else back him?

• Advertisement

Not me. I went for Clan Royal and I feel a bit cheated. Leo Cooper (a supposedly experienced jock) taking the wrong course on the run-in when ahead, then having to stop the horse amd make a 90 degree corrective turnabout !!

I reckon you had a rub of the green with Amb. House, but, a win is a win I guess. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

i disagree pro_gnostic_8. Liam Cooper didnt take the wrng course, and the manouvre cost him far less than the winning distance. Amberleigh house won the race on merit, eventually Lee didnt have to throw the kitchen sink at teh horse to get up. Clan Royal was running up with a quick pace for teh most of a circuit and was liable to find a stronger finisher. It is to his credit that they had burned everything else off everything else bar Amberleigh House. Clan Royal lost more ground by not jumping the last properly than anything else. Best horse won on the day.

I'd also blame Liam Cooper for Clan Royal losing.

He was 4 or 5 lengths clear of Lord Atterbury after jumping the last. He took the wrong course because he was too busy looking behind him and not at where the horse was going. But solely because of taking the wrong course he was level with Lord Atterbury at the elbow.

Plus it opened the door for Amberleigh House. Suddenly it had a chance of winning, and it took it brilliantly. Won by 3 lengths.

Losing the whip early on was a big hinderance for Cooper, and would perhaps explain why it took so long to get back on the right course.

Unlucky or incompetent - take your pick!

By the way I'm completely impartial in this. Between my other half and myself we had 7.50 e/w on AH and a tenner to win on CR. We got back €146 (I'm not bragging - we spent €100!). We would have got back €144 if 1 and 2 were reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I'd check that again. Lord Atterbury landed about 1.5l down at the last. That is even being generous to your arguement. Clan Royal lost some ground but never the 5l you suggest. Cooper was foolish not to realise that the course moves towards the elbow, and didnt best serve his horse but I dont think it effected the result one bit. I can see why supporters would be a bit peeved at the ride, but Amberleigh house won snugly in the end. Had Cooper kept a truer course, he would have been slightly closer to the leader but the second and third were legless from the last. The stronger stayer would have won.

Advertisement