Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pen drives in NUIG - any hassles?

Options
  • 29-03-2004 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

I'd appreciate it if any NUIG heads could answer the following:

GF's in NUIG (or you see gee as I still tend to call it (sorry)) and I've sold her on the handiness of a pen drive for moving data in and out.

I've no idea what version of windows they're using there, presumably win2k on at least most of the machines. She'll be accessing the ones in the library presumably (I'm assuming the CS students get their own area in their own building)

Is there any hassle using the things there?

(ta muchy)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

All the newer LAN's are Win2k. There are some older NT4 LAN's around the campus but the majority is 2k.

Most of the 2k machines should work fine with USB storage devices. All the newer Win2k machines have front facing USB ports. NUIG Computer Services have a page about it:

http://www.nuigalway.ie/administration_services/computer_services/documentation/usb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks leeroy, much appreciated. The newer UL machines have the front USB ports as well - very handy.

I see that page is helping to propagate the myth that NT "doesn't support USB", cough splutter, SP6. Useful link for the students all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

In most of the labs they work seamlessly i.e. everyone i have loaned mine to has had no problems saving onto it in nuig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Finnegan / McKenna / Corrib Suites all are great (some are backloading USB)

Check the computer services site to see which ones are 2k, there are a few old labs with NT on 'em that it wont work with.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They're the machines that need a running jump-kick to boot....

Portable hard drives etc. (all USB removable storage which doesn't require proprietary drivers) work perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement