Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legality of burying animals

• 29-03-2004 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Ok, my dog is sadly dying of cancer at the moment, and because of the state shes in and the chance that its only going to get worse, we decided to speak to a vet about putting her to sleep (i hate to do it, but if it means shes releaved, then its for the best)

Anyway, my mam spoke to the vet, and they gave us options (basically one involved communal cremation, and the other was a private cremation where you could take the ashes home). I was speaking to my mam afterwards, and i told her that I dont want her cremated, i want her buried out the backgarden. I never got a chance to ring the vet back today, but my mam thinks it may be illegal to do so nowadays...does anyone know anything about it??

chances are we'll do it anyway, unless the vet refuses to put her to sleep unless they also cremate the remains. I'd just like to know as it would be ideal for the vet to come out rather than us go to them and have to bring the remains home via car, which i dont think anyone would be in a fit state for (it'll be hard enough doing it and burying her, but i'd regret it otherwise, and want to show her respect.... you know?)

anyway, any help on this would be much appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

i am very bad with giving my condolenscents(spelt wrong i know) but i am sad to hear that your dog is very ill.

i never thought of it been illegal to bury a pet in your back garden (except of course if your pet was a cow or faqm animal).
    but you've got me thinking. when i was younger we buried our pets in the garden, my dog was buried on my brother in laws farm land.
    my boyfriends family dog died there a couple of weeks ago and they buried the dog in the back garden.
    personally i don't think there would be any problem with this, but in saying that i could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Adam 3000

thanks trilo,
    afaik there is at least 1 dog out or back, buried when i was v. young... but there is a possibility that laws have changed... and just wanted to see really, it could be something to do with disease prevention.... you never know....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Doctor Spoc

I doubt that it is illegal, recently my cat was buried in my backgarden...Sniff... and I wasn't told for 5 days where he was and what was going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

my front garden has a dog(jack russel) and three rabbits in it. However my Golden retriever will be a diff story however. :'(

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Golden retriever will be a diff story however. :'(

What happened?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it was more of in the future kinda thing, he's 9 at mo. But for the first time ever he had to take a rest during a walk at the weekend. Reminded me how old he is. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

sorry to hear about your dog. but as far as i know its only farm animals that are not legally buried. They have to be cremated. Pets dont fall under this category. Recently buried my adorable dog under my bedroom window : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Adam 3000

thanks for that, just wanted to see is all

uberwolf, i feel your pain, my doggies a lab/retriever.... so sad... :(

thanks again

You have my smypathies uberwolf

You too L5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We have planted a small garden of remembrance over the Cavy.

We still have 8 others. But he was bursting with personality and affection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

I'm really sorry to have to tell you this but it is actually illegal to bury an animal over a certain size in an urban area. Silly law brought in after the foot and mouth thing.
    I feel your pain though, I have a 13 year old golden lab who I had to take to the vet on Friday because his breathing was erratic (fine now though).

On the bright side who the hell will know. I your vet threatens to call the dept of health tell him to shag off and go to a vet outside of Dublin where its not illegal at all.

Hope all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Walter_Sobcek
    I'm really sorry to have to tell you this but it is actually illegal to bury an animal over a certain size in an urban area. Silly law brought in after the foot and mouth thing.
    Pfff, who's gonna know?
    Can dogs even carry F&M?
    We burried our dog down the garden a few years ago, it's nice to know he's still around in a way... burried in his own territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

I think its not an issue till your selling your house, then i think you have to tell the people buying it about the place that it is buried and they may request you to dig it up ... like imaging the owners start to put in a pond and start digging and find some bones... they might freak out (as you do when you find bones) and ring the gaurds not knowing what type of bones they are.

it would be a funny site, all the blokes in there white hazard suits diging up your old dog with toothbrushes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Pfff, who's gonna know?
    Can dogs even carry F&M?

IIRC they can be carriers of F&M but they don't actually 'have' the disease.

I don't understand people who bury their pets in their gardens, what if you move house? My lovely cat who i've had for 19 years has cancer and I doubt she'll make it through the summer, i'm pretty sure i'll have her cremated then I can have her with me wherever I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by eth0_
    I don't understand people who bury their pets in their gardens, what if you move house?
    Yeah never thought of that actually, but it's just a matter of preference, I prefer to think of him as having returned to the earth... still with us in spirit and so on.
    Besides, the whole idea of cremation freaks me out, but that's just me, and I have a serious phobia of that whole area.
    Although I think it's really nice that you'd keep your cats ashes like that, out of interest what do you think you'd keep them in?
    Maybe like Mel Gibsons charicter in Air America that keeps his own cremated toe in a keyring thing.
    Or did I mis-understand you when you said "where ever I go"? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by SantaHoe

Although I think it's really nice that you'd keep your cats ashes like that, out of interest what do you think you'd keep them in?

I guess in an urn...or maybe in a soft toy like Courtney Love did with Kurt Cobains ashes! heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I'm sorry to here about your dog Adam.

One of my rabbits died a couple of months back. Burying her was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I buried her in the back garden, but I never thought to check to see if it was legal to do so. I don't really care either way!! She's still near us, which means so much to my Mam.

Th funny thing is, when we let the other bunny out she made a bee-line straight to where Chewy is buried [which is on the other side of the garden from where she (Nosey) normally goes] and lay down there & didn't move for about 2 hours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Family Retriever was 17 when she was put down , she was blind and could'ent walk it had to be done, its always for the best

Advertisement