Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Smartphone on the way...

Options
  • 30-03-2004 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

was taking part in a focus group for one of the operators, during the discussion it was mentioned one of out operators is planning to introduce a Microsoft Smartphone handset (as distinct from the Pocket PC Phone Edition already available in the XDA/XDAII)... a Motorola model was mentioned...

have used an MS Smartphone for a few months now and find it a pretty capable device, and the easiest / most compatible sync with Outlook I've experienced so far (on a handset)

will be interesting to see if/when it is released how much it will retail for with a contract/upgrade and if it will suffer any major branding...

BrianG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

please god let it be the Mpx100 :eek: :eek: on the Meteor network preferably

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

BrianG what device are you currently using

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

MS Smartphone I'm currently using it the HTC Tanager - wrote up a post about it here if you're interested in some details

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I know Brian has a lot of experience with all different types of phone, he was able to get my smartphone up and running on the vodafone network.

Model: Original SPV (Sound, Pictures, Video) made by HTC

Looks different to the standard SPv 'cos I sprayed it black and changed to blue LED's

Pic here ~150k

thanks a million

• Advertisement

PS Were u get it

i got the HTC Tanager (i-mate Smartphone) from the PPCW.net Shop, they now stock the latest model which integrated Bluetooth and a camera and the newer version of the Smarphone OS

Tanager is the reference design name for this device from HTC, there were a few versions sold by some operators and device suppliers/resellers, the brand name us the i-Mate Smartphone

[think I should say (as anyone checking out their forums will notice and might ask) I help out / moderate on the forums on PPCW.net also, but to date have no links to the business elements of the site - I purchased an i-Mate Smartphone and i-Mate Pocket PC Edition from teh site as a regular customer just like everyone else, and would recommend them to anyone]

BrianG

SO my last question the latest model or a P900 mate

it's a bit of a toughie (but definitely asked a lot)

P900 is a bit closer to the XDA II type of device or the upcoming Motorola MPx, these are known as Windows Mobile for Pocket PC Phone Edition devices, a touch screen based input requiring two handed use for specific tasks (although the P900's jog wheel tries to allow one-handed use as much as possible)

The P900 is definitely a 'Mobile Professional' device, the Pocket PC Phone Editions are also aimed at that type of user. the Smartphone is increasingly crossing over into the (higher end) consumer market so more closely comparable to Series 60 device, designed to allow one handed operation and a keypad/joystick type if input, lacking the touch screen type of operation

Best to look at your tasks and what you want to do on / with the device to see which type might fit closest to your needs

there are several new MS Smartphone / Symbian devices coming on stream from the likes of Motorola, Panasonic, Samsung, Sagem... if that's more the type of device you are after so could be worth checking on release dates and what it on offer compared to right now...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I got one of the original XDA's when they were first released and returned it for my money back after about 2 months. Had terrible problems with alarm function, missing calls etc due to OS hangs and not knowing it had hung which has put me off these type of devices for good.

• Advertisement

yeah the XDA could be very temperamental alright - a few patches (ROM Updates) down the line they did settle down a bit though - your right it can be a big challenge (with a lot of grief) becoming an 'early adopter' with a brand new types of devices

at least we are now onto the second revisions of the hardware design and more reliable software (to a point!) - so as the device manufacturers and operating system developers work on future versions things should (hopefully) keep improving

BrianG

Advertisement