Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to connect a broadband modem direct to a standerd hub?

• 30-03-2004 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Just got Eircom broadband yesterday, but can't connect it via ethernet to one of the systems in the house. The system works fine connected to teh network, but for some reason the Cayman modem Eircom supply will not make a connection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi

Im not exactly sure if what I will tell you is relevant but here goes.

I have my IOL router/modem connected directly into my network hub via 100/10mbps cable. The router has a static IP 192.168.1.1 and I allow that to assign the other comps on the network with their ips 192.168.1.x. With this config all comps can access BB no need to install anything on any of the computers. Works great.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not 100% sure on this, but you need to be careful when plugging BB modems straight into hubs, as file and printer sharing can give everyone on the net access to your files and printers.

afaik, you need to have a broadband router/firewall between your network (i.e. anything plugged into your hub) and the BB modem to avoid this problem.

a simple way around this without spending any more cash would be to plug the modem into one machine that is left on (at least when the other PC's are in use) and have a software firewall like zonealarm and internet connection sharing (ICS) set up so that all your other PC's connect to the net through that one PC.

it's not too hard to do with win98/2k, and if you have XP on the ICS server it's a doddle, as you can use the network setup wizard to do the whole thing and create a bootdisk for your non-xp machines if you have any.

as i said AFAIK. maybe someone more con fident in this area could confirm (or deny) what I've said just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Its cools got it sorted, ended up using PPPOE to connect the modem direct to the hub. Cheers anyway.

Advertisement