Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the big rollout : fact or fiction?

Options
  • 30-03-2004 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

all,

about 6 monts ago Eircon promised that a lot of towns would be live by march 2005. I cant recall where i heard this but i think it was in response to a comment from Ahern.

now when i express an interest with the eircon register an interest in dsl they say the town is planned to go live by , amazingly march 2005....

is this all yet another small pile of poo or is it based on any 'plan', rough or otherwise

i suspect its not true but hope springs eternal.....

anyone know...Muck...you there...???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

is this all yet another small pile of poo
    Has it ever been anything other than this with eircom.

For Eg: The DSL trigger level for Killaloe is set at the max of 499. I know of 10 people who have registered yet the count remains at 0.

Killaloe shouldn't even be on the trigger list as it has a population of >1500. Throw in Ballina (off the same Xchange) and the population is >3500 and growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It IS true but the town MUST have had a population of at least 1500 in the April 2002 census. Therefore some dormitory towns of the main cities that have grown a lot in the past two years .......say Kinnegad with a population of 1700 or 1800 now will not get DSL enabled while Moate which clocked in at about about 1520 and with static population growth since 1996 will get DSL in the next year.

There are some local issues here and there but the bulk of these exchanges will be done by the end of 2004 .

Certain most helpful persons 'in the know' post regularly in the BB forum when the exchanges have been done or are imminent.

The rest of us have been presented with risible trigger levels as you can see on this site Here . Ballyhaunis has a trigger of about 110% of households ISTR . These figures are never updated by Eircom , surprise that or wha :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

The DSL trigger level for Killaloe is set at the max of 499. I know of 10 people who have registered yet the count remains at 0.
    According to eircom, "the site is working correctly and we have received your vote [...]. It was never envisioned at the time of the launch of the site that there would be immediate feedback as to the number of votes cast, however that information will be there we anticipate within a couple of weeks and it will be updated frequently thereafter. "

Its been updated since I received this response and Kinnegad now has 6 registrations out of 304. I think we may have some way to go to reach Eircom's trigger level...

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

It IS true but the town MUST have had a population of at least 1500 in the April 2002 census
    Both Killaloe and Ballina had 1500+ in the April 2002 Census, yet Killaloe has been set a trigger level. So if the trigger level of 499 is not reached the exchange will never be upgraded.

I have been on to eircom (good contacts too!) to get them to include the xchange on their March 2005 DSL rollout schedule, even pointing out that the population off the xchange is 3500+ and growing, alas to now avail.

In addition both towns will be excluded from the GBS. Basically eircom and the DCMNR couldn't care less about rural broadband, I mean 20% / 30% funding for Tipp and Clare under the GBS is laughable.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

okay, since i am obviously a thicko...

if you have trigger levels you only get it when the trigger is met or the trigger kicks it in earlier...or is this one of those classic eircon 'it depends'

the reason i ask is that where iam from in the arse endo of wicklow seems to say there is a trigger level AND i am due to get it by march 2005.

also i aint on the above xDSL list...bugger

• Advertisement
Advertisement