Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rise of Anti Semitism

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by Ajnag
    ... Is it not also true that there are ultra orthidox Jews who belive that the messiah can only return once greater isreal has been established ie Palistine has been destroyed...

It sometimes really astounds me that people still believe this stuff. I realise religion is important to some people but to believe something that is so easily proved wrong is bizarre.

Imagine all the palestinians left Israel just to see if the Israeli messiah would return. They all leave and there's no messiah....I bet there'd be some who would claim that the palestinians leaving wasn't good enough and obviously didn't appease the messiah, hence the no-show. They'd have to be 'forced' out, whatever that might entail.

I love the idea of it being the 'promised' land too. If half the stuff that supposedly happened years ago was suddenly reported as occuring today, only the deranged would believe it and I'm sure people would laugh at the nutters involved. Imagine:

1) Yes my name is Moses and a burning bush told me to go to Egypt and free the slaves. No seriously, it was burning and spoke to me.

2) The red sea was in my way so I parted it and we all legged it through, then it all came back down and drowned the bad guys who were chasing us.

3) Isaac begat Jacob who decided to change his name to Israel after fighting with...an angel. Like you do.

4) My name is Abraham and I've left Ur and am wandering around here cause God told me he would make me a great nation if I left. By the way he also told me to kill my only son Isaac and I was just about to do it when he changed his mind.

5) My name is Solomon, I murdered my own brother and I'm the third king of Israel. I also worship alien gods but don't tell anyone.

Then in 722BC Samaria fell and that was it for Israel. Except god said (sometime after speaking from a burning bush and telling Abraham to kill his son) this land is yours, I promised it to you, so go back there and take it....the guys living there now don't even believe in me so it's cool, don't worry about it.

Obviously all relgions are full of events that some people read as fact while others interpret as allegory and I know I'm being facetious but to think some people still justify Israel's existance with this stuff. It astounds me.

Advertisement