Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hold'em home game friday

• 30-03-2004 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

I feel like a home game this weekend. I can seat 11 or so people, and we'll be playing hold'em. PM or reply here if you're interested. (thanks to MrPudding for the copy/pasted template :)

Date/Time- 2nd April/20:00

Organiser- quozl

Venue- His gaff in Donnybrook

Seats- 11

Game- No Limit Texas Holdem

Buyin- €20

Rebuys- Either one rebuy or one topup

Topups- Yes. One at end of rebuy period (Either one rebuy or one topup)

Payout- 1st ½
    2nd 1/3
    3rd 1/6

Players:
    1: Quozl
    2: TwoShedsJackson
    3: lafortezza
    4: DapperGent (to be confirmed)
    5: karlh2001
    6: Spiritus
    7: Iaga
    8: henbane
    9: MrPudding
    10: Hyzepher
    11: Decker

(Note: If it turns out you can't make it, please give as much notice as possible so someone can replace you, thanks)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

One thing to take into consideration - especially if you are starting at 8pm --- make sure the blinds go up quickly or it will be the very late hours of the morning b4 you are finished. We started at 6:30 in Pud's game - had 3 hours of rebuys and didn't finish until 3am (we had 10 players)

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'd certainly be interested in playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

yeah i'm aiming for a 3am finish hopefully, so I'll put the blinds up fairly steeply once the freezeout begins.

I'd be starting the game earlier but a colleague is finishing up on friday, so I have to go for a few good bye pints :)

Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    didn't finish until 3am (we had 10 players)
    Hyzepher
    Everyone was playing as tight as a virgin that night though, nobody was willing to bet on drawing hands or risk it a bit especially right after the freezeout started.

Count me in though for friday!
    Where (roughly) is your gaff in Donnybrook? near the 46A?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Hi ya,

Can I sign up for me and Spiritus? (I'm Karl and he's Ken)

We were at Mr Pudding's Game on Sat last and had a great time. (might know ya fro the Fitz too)

I agree about the blinds having to go up quicker. Might be an idea to have them going up a little quicker early on rather than very quickly after the freezeout to avoid the 'blinds lottery' which usually ensues.

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

DapperGent (the bluffmaster from last saturday) wants in as well, provisionally, he'll confirm in the next day or two.

Originally posted by karlh2001

I agree about the blinds having to go up quicker. Might be an idea to have them going up a little quicker early on rather than very quickly after the freezeout to avoid the 'blinds lottery' which usually ensues.

Yeah sounds good.

My house is on eglinton road, 3 minutes from the 46a bus stop at the rugby grounds.

I'll PM people the address and my mobile no. once everyones signed up.

Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Hey, count me in for Friday!

Raging that I missed Mr P's last week, definitely going to make this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Sign me up.

Mr Pudding would also like to go on friday. Please reserve him a space as I might get a lift home if he's driving. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Mr Pudding would also like to go on friday. Please reserve him a space as I might get a lift home if he's driving. Thanks.

Ok. Is he a definite?

We're down to 1 free space now.

Greg

Originally posted by quozl
    Ok. Is he a definite?
    We're down to 1 free space now.
    Greg
    I'd say 95.72% definite. I texted him the details asking if he wanted me to sign up, he texted back yes. I'm sure he'll be on this evening or maybe tomorrow morning to confirm.

Put me down

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Everyone was playing as tight as a virgin that night though, nobody was willing to bet on drawing hands or risk it a bit especially right after the freezeout started.

Except me. I was super loose. I was all in willy nilly. That my new super loose style. I will go in on anything you know.

PS. I am good for Friday, cheers.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Decker

Hi,

can you add me (it's Alex).

Thanks.

Would people rather have a larger initial buy in and either 1 or no rebuys instead of as many rebuys as you like for the first 3 hours?

I was thinking 20 buyin and max one rebuy for the same. Do you think this would encourage better play? I'd rather a night more similar to a freezeout tournament than say the fitz on a thursday.

Opinions? Unless there's a large majority behind my idea we'll stick with the current plan :)

Greg

1 buy in, 1 rebuy sounds great but to be honest the standard of play at Pudding's game seemed fine. Nobody seemed to be 'Thursday Fitzing' it as it were.

The more rebuys, obviously the better prize fund and since it's a home game it's probably better to give people the option of playing for the whole pre-freezout period once they have the money to keep rebuying.

Originally posted by quozl
    I was thinking 20 buyin and max one rebuy for the same. Do you think this would encourage better play? I'd rather a night more similar to a freezeout tournament than say the fitz on a thursday.

Sounds like a decent plan. 11 people adds up to €220 to start with and then after the obligatory topup you would have near enough to €440 which makes for a decent 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize. I assume you mean one rebuy/topup and not both cos that starts to make a it a little more expensive than it usually is.

I reckon people usually spend €30-40 at a home game so you're probably pitching it at about the right level. It's up to what people want but the final say is yours given it's your gaff.

If it's one rebuy/topup max, everyone is going to take it very seriously from the start cos busting out will be a serious problem. It should make for a very tight game with a decent level of poker being played by all.

Maybe have a 2nd table somewhere for some cashgame madness for those of us who get knocked out on our asses awful early.

You've got my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Even though I'm not in this one -- I definitely think it's a better style of game having the €20 buyin and max one rebuy/topup. In the end, the prize money is actually higher than what we had at Pudding's house last week, and I think you'd have less all-in situations in the first five - ten hands ;)

Personally, I go to a home game expecting to spend €30, so a change to 2x€20 is reasonable, and I think it would change how the game is played .. I look forward to seeing that sometime soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

I'm voting for the max 1 rebuy plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

In fact how about a freezeout with small blinds increasing slowly.

ok changed the structure to
    One 20e buyin
    One 20e rebuy OR one 20e top-up

I'll start the blinds off small and try and make it similar to a freezeout. Plus I've a second table that people can play on if they're knocked out early.

If anybody feels they won't enjoy this structure then it's no problem dropping out, but please give as much notice as possible so I can get a replacement.

Greg

That sounds like a good plan, the €20 buy in and only 1 rebuy OR topup.

I'd also suggest a bigger starting stack for everyone. I think we started with about 1500 chips in Puddings? Maybe keep the blinds small and have a bigger starting amount of chips, means you can take a few hits but still have enough chips to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Decker

I'd agree with this too. Either a re-buy or a topup (should these be for the same amount).

How long do we expect to play for (need to figure out if I'll need a nap before hand)?

Would it be a good to work out the blinds and their periods before hand?

Alex

I would recommend starting chips of 2500 (2x500, 5x100, 6x50, 8x25).

Blinds increase every 20 mins

Hour 1
    25/50
    50/100
    75/150

Hour 2 - take in the 25's
    100/200
    200/400
    300/600

Hour 3 - top-up here
    400/800
    500/1000
    600/1200

Hour 4+ - take in the 50's
    800/1500
    1000/2000
    2000/4000

This gives us at least 4 hours of poker - probably an hour or two more at the most. Not too long and not too short.

Hyzepher

and we even have a proper tournie clock to track it. you got net access at home greg?

http://download.com.com/3000-2647-10261894.html?tag=lst-0-1

myself and Spiritus checked it out and it rocks!

might be able to organise a laptop if you havent got a setup at home.

perfect structure Hyzepher, got my vote!

i already have the poker clock setup and the structure worked out :) Don't worry. Only thing I don't have planned is food, figure we can order pizza and have a break for them.
    Greg

nice one, never doubted ya for a second ! :D

i have a rucksack of powersauce bars so ill be fine.

"A bushel of apples packed in every bar, plus a secret ingredient that unleashes the awesome power of apples!"

Originally posted by karlh2001
    "A bushel of apples packed in every bar, plus a secret ingredient that unleashes the awesome power of apples!"

Dung Xiao Ping died???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Cheers Greg! Had great fun.

Advertisement