Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic Sitemap Builder

Options
  • 30-03-2004 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know of a tool that will build sitemaps automatically? This would be for hard copy rather than online. At the moment I just build them in PowerPoint which works quite well, but it is very time consuming as you have to measure out distances etc manually.

If there was a plugin or something for Powerpoint that would be great. Otherwise, any other software would be considered as long as you can download a trial to try it out first.

I usually do the maps in a format something like:

map.gif

Thanks for any suggestions!

Serb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

apps of the web has a site mapper afair. not sure how good it would be though.

the organisational chart function should be handy enough though in powerpoint. does all that measuring itself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

On a similar topic, does anyone know if a program that will search your website and create a directory free of all the files etc? I keep lots of random files on my site and I want one page with lists of links to all the files. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If I remember correctly Microsoft Visio will build site maps.

You give it a starting URL and it follows all of the internal links to make up your site map.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers, but most of the files are not linked at all, simply put there for storage to download when I need them - usually when I am not on my own computer... I know I can just go in via ftp and find them, but it would be nice to be able to automatically generate a whole list/tree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Do you have access to a scripting language (PHP or ASP)?

It's easy enough to write a script that lists the directories/files.

• Advertisement

nope sorry... I think one way would be to use dreamweaver, on a remove view, and just drag and drop all the files into a page with a link. Might be time comsuming but probably easy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by jabberwock
    would this be of any use.
    How to add "print directory" to windows explorer
    Be careful about doing the above. When you add actions to the "File Folder" file type, search becomes the default action when you double click on Folders. It could get quite annoying really!

To fix it, go to Start -> Run -> type: regedit.
    Then go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Directory -> Shell and delete the actions in there.

oh ya. sorrz
    but instead of deleting all the actions in there why not just copy the explore command from the folder key and make that default in the directory key.
    you don't lose the other actions then.

Advertisement