Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters and Commanders:: Help me become one!

Options
  • 30-03-2004 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Coding software for a living for last 6 years or so, I am tired of waiting for the light at the end of the code... err, tunnel.

It’s about time I step ahead of competition and I am hoping to learn some more ‘tricks of the trade’ in the process. I have been looking around for a while now on various University/college websites for a part-time program that to help me become 'Master' or something, but couldn’t find anything substantial.

So far I came across Oscail’s MSc in Internet Systems and Athlone Institute of Technologies’ MSc Computer Science program. Both programs are pretty close, yet not exactly what I am looking for (a bit more project management and more design/process related topics etc would have made AIT’s MSc CS ideal for me).

Now are there any other Part-time Post Graduate degree programs out there in IT/Management area (even an MBA with emphasis on IT sounds great) that you know of?

Thanks in advance!

Pos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

.. I work/live in Dublin.

Cheers,

Pos.

not a popular corner of boards.ie, I see!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'd love to help you out but I know nothing about programming courses. Where the hell is ecksor when you need him?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm here, but I've not done any masters courses. I'll ask a bloke who has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres a Masters course over in DCU, 2 yrs part time.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ecksor
    I'm here, but I've not done any masters courses. I'll ask a bloke who has.
    Yeah well, shape up anyway.

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Ricardo, thanks a million for the input, but is it this one? If it is, it wouldn’t work for me unfortunately, as they will only admit DCU’s own Graduate Diploma in Information Technology holders (which is a 2 year part-time course on its own)!

Cheers,

Pos.

I know people who have done their primary degrees =from other colleges. So maybe thats a new rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I did the MSc. in Griffith - but no management stuff there, I'm afraid (thank God). All techy.

Originally posted by tom dunne
    I did the MSc. in Griffith - but no management stuff there, I'm afraid (thank God). All techy.

What are the hours and cost of that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Currently doing post grad level with OU..
    twill be either
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01D69_8_0

or

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01C02_8_0

depending on what other subjects i take..

The Software engineering module covers process, and there is a project management module too..
    It is distant learning- which may not suit you, though there are res schools and you are assigned a tutor.
    They also do a MBA (tech management) as well..
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01F03_8_0

Jd
    (I'm still in work so I'll come back to this later!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    What are the hours and cost of that one?

The cost (two years ago) was 4000 Euro. The hours are typically two nights a week, with the option of some Saturday classes for those that need extra help.

Thanks a million for the input, Tom, JD, Ricardo and others! :)

The one at Griffith looks interesting (and convenient). Meanwhile, someone from work gave me this link, MSc in Management of Information Systems at Trinity (tcd.ie). Looks good to me (though it’s a bit too non-techy, can I make-up that bit with some Sun/Oracle certifications?)

Open.ac.uk looks good too, but not too sure how degree from an ‘Open university’ is perceived in other parts of the world – Some open universities have successfully managed to spoil the image of the entire system, I am afraid.

Cheers!

Pos. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I wasn't aware there was more than one. What do you mean exactly?

I presume he's using open university as a catch all term for degrees by distance learning.

Positron the Open University (open.ac.uk) is as far as I know held in high esteem both academically and by employers. At least I hope it is.

Well it better be, it's hard enough work!

Originally posted by DapperGent

I presume he's using open university as a catch all term for degrees by distance learning.

That’s right. I was referring to the ‘Open University’ model of education, there are thousands of Universities around the world (especially in Asia) that award degrees over mail/internet or other mediums, and all of them are generally classified as ‘Open Universities’ (as against normal (taught) universities), and there is a credibility question in some part of the world when it comes to degree from an ‘Open university’. Try googling for ‘Open University’ and you will be surprised how many are there – some of them exist only in paper (okay, in harddisks may be)

Positron the Open University (open.ac.uk) is as far as I know held in high esteem both academically and by employers. At least I hope it is.

Absolutely!! I know it for a fact that Open.ac.uk is a highly regarded organisation, and its syllabi and exams are top-notch, and well respected. No question about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

I'm actually living in Dublin at the moment but I'm moving to Cork and am hoping to start an MSc in Software Development in CIT (full time - 2 days a week).

Is it worthwhile doing a masters in software development? I want to be more employable.

It's also a nighmare getting part-time IT work down there ...

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Hi,

Am currently doing - half-way through second year, of two - the AUA MSc (tri-university - UL, UCC, UCG) distance MSc

http://aua.arobis.com/content.asp?id=327&did=7

Covers management, manufacturing, marketing, project management, new product development, leadership, change and innovation management, strategy, business and operations management: a combo of MBA and MSc, really. Very well executed indeed.

Degree is awarded by institution you submit your thesis to, so in my case it'll be UL, rather than Dr Bob's Internet University.

May exactly fit your needs: further intake in July (second batch - we're the guinea pigs) PM me if you need more info ...

Originally posted by zenith
    - half-way through second year, of two - the AUA MSc (tri-university - UL, UCC, UCG) distance MSc

http://aua.arobis.com/content.asp?id=327&did=7

That sounds good – how difficult is it to get admission into this course? ie. Once you submit the application and 250 quids, (and meet their basic criteria), what are the chances that you will get selected/rejected?

Thanks in advance!

Pos!

Advertisement