Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Lan Monitor / Firewall

Options
  • 30-03-2004 2:07pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there *free* software out there whereby I can monitor network internet usage & block certain sites (domains?).
    Config:-
    20 x Win 2 K Pro SP4 on star network - each connected to hub which has a Ethernet ADSL modem (€ircon / Netopia)
    TIA
    Killian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Use IpCop

It's a firewall in the bargain, does everything you want it to do. and more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

looks like a good app but really only for Linux (am I wrong?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Not only that, but it is an entire OS, and runs on it's own PC (low spec pentium does the job).

It's a piece of piss to install, stick in the CD and follow the on screen instructions.

It acts as your networks gateway to the outside world, and because all the data passes through it, it can give you any report you want.

It uses two network cards, one for LAN, and one for your DSL. Becasue the packets of data HAVE to go through it, you can allow and disallow anything you want.

If you have a spare PC lying about, throw 2 network cards into it, and fire it off. IpCop will do Routing, Firewalling, VPN, Proxy caching, Intrusion detection, DHCP and make you nice coffee.....

DSL without firewall = Disaster waiting to happen.

The Ipcop version is 1.3, but the 1.4 Beta 2 is fine, I use it in here. It also has support for wireless, if that's your thing.

Advertisement