Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trust 960 5.0MP Digital Camera

• 30-03-2004 3:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per this link on: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=123980&view=detailed

This camera is on special offer this week in Superquinn for Euro 99.
    Sounds good- whats the difference between interpolated and native resolution?
    3.1 is decent- is it just a marketing gimmick to describe it as 5.0 mega pixels?

Regardless- its nice

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Interpolation is a gimmick alright. It's equivalent to taking a 3Mpixel photo into an image editor and resizing it to 5Mpixel, the editor will guess at the values of the new 2Mpixels. This operation doesn't add anything to the quality of the image. All 3Mpixel cameras can produce any amount of Mpixels of interpolated images if you take the image into a photo editor and resize it.

This camera doesn't have any optical zoom. A digital zoom is also a gimmick, no different to bringing the image into a photo editor and throwing away all the pixels except for the ones at the centre of the image, i.e. you're left with a "zoomed" image but it has much less Mpixels than you started with, e.g. if you had 16 pixels

90AB
    CDEF

and threw away all pixels except the centre four:

0A

then you now have "zoomed" in four times but you also have a quarter of the number of pixels. Basically the camera is adding nothing to what you can do with a very simple image editor. An optical zoom is a different story.

Dunno if this is a good explanation but I'd be a little wary of the Trust camera. I would contend that a camera that records 1Mpixels of high quality colour will print out better photos than a 3Mpixel camera that records low quality colour, e.g. if you compare the 640x480 images recorded by a camera phone and then set a good camera to capture in 640x480 mode you will see a world of difference in quality.
    All these cameras are scrambling to up their MegaPixel count and quality often suffers, particularly with manufacturers whose business is not related to professional photography.

Mike

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They say its a Canon Charged Couple Device (CCD)- so in theory it could be nice.
    At 99 Euro you can't really argue with it.
    Have rang Superquinn in Lucan, they have 150 of them- so they're not going to run out in a hurry.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Here are some reviews
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Trust_960_PowerC_m_CCD__Review_5382744
    http://www.piratesoftware.org/showarticle.asp?intArticleID=42&page=1
    Seems to be a good buy allright.
    I bought a Canon A60 last month from Amazon.
    Fantastic camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Superquinn had a batch of these for sale last November also for €99. Not 100% sure they were identical, but the going rate at the time was about €180 for these.

Was tempted to buy one at the time, but reviews I read were not good esp about taking pictures indoors. Decided to go for a second hand 2MP Nikon instead for similar money

Though I'm sure €99 is very good value for that camera :)

They did sell quicly the last time, so ring up and reserve one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have the one they sold a months back in Superquinn. I don't think its that great. I think something like a Canon A60 would be a much better buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I have a fujifinepix camera (F410) that uses that same sort of technique, and the pictures look brilliant (the only downside is a lack of light in indoor shots).

fujii do this more professionally, and trust, not exactly pioneers in the technology department, are they?

Advertisement