Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find a new martial art

• 30-03-2004 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hey folks I've studied Ninjutsu for a year and dipped my feet into a little Krav Maga (which I loved but can't afford)

I'm looking for a martial art/martial arts class in Dublin that meets a few criteria:

1. Is free of trying to emulate Japanese/Chinese/etc culture, ie no bowing, incantations etc. (I'm not trying to be rude, or start a debate on this, it's just not my personal thing).

2. Is as free of fancy foot work as possible (a lot of surgery)

3. Is as unarmed as possible. Staffs and swords don't interest me and really put me off Ninjutsu.

4. Isn't shotokan or TKD. They're just not my thing again.

Fussy eh?

I was thinking of Aikido but want to avoid the constant religious/spiritual thing that people often teach here (often with no understanding of it either).

Better get back to work, thanks in advance to everyone!

Ross

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Is there any martial art tai chi chuan classes about? The martial one rather than just the slow breathing one. I've been interested in this for a while but all the classes i can find (ucd included) never delve into the applications.

Thanks again.

Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

One word: Judo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Give taekwondo another shot - maybe a different style to what u did..
    it seems to meet all your criteria there (apart from #4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Check out all you can on WWII Combatives, Defendu,PUC and the work by Geoff Thompson, Carl Cestari et al. Probably no classes available but a worthwhile and viable area of self education.

Thanks all. Judo would be interesting but not enough striking for me. It also seems very reliant on brute strength, NOT my best idea. I gotta join a Gym soon.

TKD just ain't my thing, and would not be a good idea with my feet. The Krav would be ideal but 1,440 for a year is a little much for me! (eek!)

Maybe some form of Karatae wold be a good idea, just not Shotokan. Or a non-religious Aikido class. Or a decent striking Tai Chi Chuan class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

umm theres no actual religion in most aikido classes. Various levels of "spiritual" training from the usual budo philosophy to all out wakka eco-friendly tree hugging. Also if you had a problem with the whole cultural ethos and weapons training in ninjutsu then aikido probably isnt the best idea

if you liked krav maga you migh tlike something thats reality based, for want of a better term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

You should try Kenpo karate, its a sort of westernised version of old Chinese kempo. It has a lot of strikes in it, and you don't do any work with staffs or anything like that - although you do learn to defend yourself from someone trying to hit you with a glass bottle or something like that. There is bowing, but it's more out of respect, then out of trying to emulate Asian culture. A bit of foot work is involved, but it's on a simpler level than that required in ninjitsu. There is a good club on Leeson Street that does it, used to train there. Let me know if you need any more info!:ninja:

Kempo does seem to be the most likely. I've a friend who did it for about 5 years but left out dislike of his teacher more than the art itself. Obviously the teacher can often be more important than the art at times.

So the real options now are:

Kepmo: Striking, self defense and no weapons use.
    Tai Chi Chuan: Tends to be taught like yoga, but a good class woule be awesome.
    Shaolin Kung Fu: apparently there's almost wepon free versions of this. but i'd say there's a lot of chancer teachers in it.

My only concern with the Kempo thing is that it would be taught as moving from one pose to another rather than as a fighting style. I'll have to shop around. Will look up the one on leeson street and see what it's about.

Thanks everyone! :ninja: Like a ninja.

Just watched some clips:

Kenpo clips

Looks like my kind of thing. I especially like the fact that they do the stuff in the chair and the knife fight that has the counters is good too. I'm quite quite interested now.

When and why did you stop blondie?

Ross

I stopped about 4 years ago because of the leaving cert and all that. Also if I'd wanted to keep going I'd have had to start sparring and I was afraid I'd get injured doing that. It was a good martial art though, I really enjoyed it. I'd have done it in UCD if they had a club, but they don't. Doing ninjitsu now though which is pretty good too I think, but in a different way. Kenpo is about reacting to a set pattern of different attacks, whereas ninjitsu seems to be more about instantaneously reacting to any sort of attack. It's interesting really, and I'm glad to be doing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

Originally posted by blondie83
    Kenpo is about reacting to a set pattern of different attacks

Keep your opinion to yourself
    -Repli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

The UCD Tai Chi club is a practical Tai Chi club its the real deal full contact fighting all the way but they do internal training as well

if you want to totally get away from emulation of chinese/ japanese arts and culture
    perhaps you should try out Vale Tudo (anything goes) training with the infamous John Kavanagh its very practical to say the least they train stand up, clinch and ground
    hes very welcoming and a proven teacher try www.irishbjj.com

or you could try www.fianna.5u.com

Theres a Karate Club in Johnstown Cabinteely but they are very progressive the instructor also trains in bushido kick boxing its quite good

quote:
    Originally posted by blondie83
    Kenpo is about reacting to a set pattern of different attacks
    Originally posted by colincarnate
    Keep your opinion to yourself
    -Repli

Now I'm intrigued. What did he say Repli? If he has a problem with something I said then I'd like to hear it. But if it was just a pointless insult then I really wouldn't be bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 geoffer

Originally posted by RossFixxxed
    2. Is as free of fancy foot work as possible (a lot of surgery)

Go to a good sports physio and ask their opinion. When it comes to your health I wouldn't recommend trusting the opinions of strangers on the net.

Watch out for the following:

(1) training barefoot on concrete. Bad for the joints.
    (2) kicking air. Bad for the joints, timing, power and balance.
    (3) depending on your injury, leg locks. Talk to whoever's taking the class first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Boxing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 geoffer

Originally posted by Sico
    Boxing??

Thought that too - then I reminded myself how much the average boxer runs :P
    Depends on the injury I suppose

Boxing is out tbh.

It narrows down to: BJJ, the Fianna one linked above, Kenpo, practical Tai Chi in UCD.

I must pop out to the Tai Chi and have a look see at what they do. Half the people seem to think it's great. The other half think it's basically yoga.

Thanks for all the help everyone, there's been some REALLY interesting links and advice here.

Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

You could check out the Kung Fu classes in Newpark: the SCMAA classes.
    We practise long fist and white crane and have recently started Yang style Tai Chi, which I find complements the harder styles of the arts.

Our Tai Chi focuses on the marital aspects (we're a Kung Fu club afterall) but for me it helps to balance the hard work of our long fist/white crane traning. Drop into Newpark in Blackrock on a tuesday after 7.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

you could do Judo as it rocks heh in it you do have to bow and things though isnt majorly strict. You could do Modern Kenpo its is kenpo reformed by an american(Ed Parker) its more street smart i love it and it isnt heavily disaplined , there are a few weapons used in it though mind you(but in later belts isnt a huge part of training).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

if you want to totally get away from emulation of chinese/ japanese arts and culture
    perhaps you should try out Vale Tudo (anything goes) training with the infamous John Kavanagh its very practical to say the least they train stand up, clinch and ground
    hes very welcoming and a proven teacher try www.irishbjj.com

or you could try www.fianna.5u.com

I'd definitely recommend either of these clubs. JK runs a very good intro to MMA class on Thursday nights 8-9.

Also, Pearse at Fianna Fight School runs an excellent class. And if you're looking to get fit, Pearse is da man when it comes to Cardio and Conditioning.

If you're out Tallaght direction you're always welcome to try my club.

As far as Judo try to look for a light weight coach, in my experience these will be the more technical fighters/trainers since they can't muscle you about like a big man can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you want to study an art that is actually proven to be effective regardless of your size or weight, study BJJ (brazilian jiu jitsu). For stand up defense, I'd study muay thai and/or boxing.

Nod @ the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

in america, unsurprisingly, gun-kata is being taken on in a big way (because japanese people don't like it). it was featured in the film "equilibrium" and "teaches that the gun is just an extention of your arm"...

of course you need guns and a death wish to do it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

You could try Mugendo or bushido
    Both modern styles of kickboxing and fairly informal
    The level of training you do can be up to you.

Best to sort out injuries if possible, it would help for any sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Invent your own one!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks all. Judo would be interesting but not enough striking for me.

Jiu-Jitsu is similar to Judo but emphasies more on strikes, not a lot of fancy foot work required, there is bowing out of respect.

ps. The bowing out of respect is also a way to get your head set in a mode for rules of conduct while in the dojo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Thanks all. Judo would be interesting but not enough striking for me. It also seems very reliant on brute strength, NOT my best idea. I gotta join a Gym soon.

TKD just ain't my thing, and would not be a good idea with my feet. The Krav would be ideal but 1,440 for a year is a little much for me! (eek!)

Maybe some form of Karatae wold be a good idea, just not Shotokan. Or a non-religious Aikido class. Or a decent striking Tai Chi Chuan class.

Hi RossFixxxed,

I'm a little late on this thread but as a Shotokan Instructor I'm just wondering why not shotokan.

I'm not trying to start a debate on whats good and whats not, just interested from an instructors point of view what turns people off shotokan and how I as an instructor can improve.

Please be honest, you can mail me privately if you wish.

Thanks

Damien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There are a few Kyokushin Karate clubs around the north side, might be worth checking out. Kyokushin is karate for Hard Bastards (TM), much more like kick-boxing than traditional karate, but they tend to have a bee in their bonnet about the whole 'osu' thing. But all clubs are different, maybe the guys over here are a bit more relaxed. Definitely a style to check out if you're interested in the action side of things.

Judo was originally a 'safe' version of Jujutsu (although it might have evolved since Kano's days, I'm no expert here) - it was created so people could practice certain jujutsu techniques without crippling each other! Jujutsu would be well worth a look IMO.

To Damo, my 2c would be that most people tend to think of Shotokan as a much less action-oriented style than the likes of kempo, kyokushin, etc. It's a bit technical for some - I'd say a lot of people want to get into the sparring stuff quickly and have a bit of fun. Plus I gather shotokan has a rep of being more traditional and full of bowing-osu-perfect-character bullcrap (obviously this depends on the club more than the style). Ah well, their loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Originally posted by Sico
    To Damo, my 2c would be that most people tend to think of Shotokan as a much less action-oriented style than the likes of kempo, kyokushin, etc. It's a bit technical for some - I'd say a lot of people want to get into the sparring stuff quickly and have a bit of fun. Plus I gather shotokan has a rep of being more traditional and full of bowing-osu-perfect-character bullcrap (obviously this depends on the club more than the style). Ah well, their loss.

Hi Sico,

Thanks for your reply and yes it can be quiet technical. Other points accepted.

Cheers.

Damien

• Advertisement

Damo W I sent you a mail, can't seem to PM you (?).

Am thinking maybe JuJutsu. Still trying to avoid classes that have move names that include: Falcons of Force, Leap of Death etc... And any class that thinks it's in Japan makes me cringe a little.

I still think it'd be like 100 japanese students studying an irish martial arts class sayin: "Bleedin rapih" when a move is done. Or I'LL BLEEDIN BURST YA for Kiai, or Cheerz bud with a dig on the arm instead of a bow.

Just my 2c.

Ross

[edit] also I feel there's a difference between 'technical' and 'wooden'. A lot of classes seem to confuse the 2.

Advertisement