Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the anamitated seris cannon?

Options
  • 30-03-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Well? Is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I thought it was said thay anything that was on TV was cannon?

Also if they aready declared the animated seris non-cannon then they might declare Enterprise non-cannon.

so there is no point in me watching it then?

Theres notting stoping you watching it just because its non-cannon

Just remember notting that happens said or developed in it exsits in the "real" star trek univirse

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Like "Beam Me Up, Scotty!" :p

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by User45701
    I thought it was said thay anything that was on TV was cannon?

Also if they aready declared the animated seris non-cannon then they might declare Enterprise non-cannon.
    Roddenberry declared the animated series non-canon (it's spelled with one 'n' in the middle by the way, I'm just mentioning it as everyone appears to have spelled it with two). He did the same with bits of Star Trek V. Given that he's now dead, he won't be doing that again. Besides, some of the animated series is quite good.

Some info (last few paragraphs are pretty relevant)
    More
    Interview with David Gerrold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sorry if this is stupid, but what does canon mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

canon is the gospel, if its said on screen the ship is X meters long, the ship is X meters long and nothing contradicts that as its said on screen, so if you have two conflicting pieces of info whatever is canon is what is taken as the truth

Unless it’s a plain stupid throw away line (like tom saying you can’t turn left or right in warp idoit) Theirfore contradicting 30 years of tv .....You can safely ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    canon is the gospel, if its said on screen the ship is X meters long, the ship is X meters long and nothing contradicts that as its said on screen, so if you have two conflicting pieces of info whatever is canon is what is taken as the truth
    That's pretty much it. The rules, the history. Non-canon sources can be ignored when writing new episodes. Roddenberry extended it a bit when declaring the animated series non-canon and basically said that the events weren't to be referred to in new episodes. Despite that they have been - Sarek makes reference to events in Reunification that happened in YesterYear frmo the animated series.

When it comes down to it, it's a TV show. Not necessarily "just" a TV show though - unlike contemporary series in the sixties cast and viewers took it very seriously. I remember reading something about a new writer (or something) being taken on in the sixties and instructing George Takei to press a particular button on the control panel during a scene. Takei protested, saying that pressing that button would blow up the ship. It's a vicious circle in a way - the care that was taken towards episode continuity (as opposed to scene continuity) meant that the core audience took that continuity very seriously. Being protective of their favourite show (and protective of their own knowledge about it), they've always been pretty protective when liberties are taken with it. I'm less pushed myself to be honest.

Originally posted by sceptre
    meant that the core audience took that continuity very seriously. Being protective of their favourite show (and protective of their own knowledge about it), they've always been pretty protective when liberties are taken with it.

That sums me up quite nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

It is a great TV show and the actors tke it serersley.
    I have a vidio of shatner having a "fit" at one of the guys called bob

Shatner: Bob , BOB no cutS!,
    Bob: No cuts?
    Shatner: im going home now and im going to spend 3 hours at the makeup table putting this ****ing makeup back on and its YOUR fault.

Advertisement