Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folder Names in Windows.....How do I find out?

Options
  • 30-03-2004 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Good Day

Does anyone know how to find the name of a folder that's installed by default by Windows when the OS is in German or French? The folders in a localised OS are named different than the English version, but this is only a label stuck on top of the folder. Where is this info stored in Windows, ie. the "Programs Files" folder = "Programme" in French? I've done searches on the registry but I can't find anything. Maybe there's a DOS command I can run to find this out?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No idea - have a look on technet perhaps ?

you can use system variables in command prompt / start run - eg: type SET in dos prompt and use %'s to use it .

eg: start run %windir%
    %appdata%
    %userprofile%

Don't forget you can use IF EXIST in the autoexec.bat/login script to label them too.

If exist c:\programmi\*.* set LANG=Italian
    (will work even if folder empty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

That depends on the lnguage. Some langs have the folder names localised, others don't.

Is there a specific list of languages you're after?

Capt'n Midnights' suggestion is the best way to dynamically get them from a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Typing %ProgramFiles% in the address bar will redirect you to the appropriate folder.

In fact, any of the folders listed under SET can be browsed to using this method :)

It is what it's.

Advertisement