Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More active inaction from the Minister ?

Options
  • 30-03-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

From the RTE website.

Nice to see that the single billing will be available from to-morrow....

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Draft Policy Directive is Here

Then there was a consultation up to 1/03/2004 followed by the Final Directive which is Here .

/me is damned if he can find a single difference between them, not even the typos.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by Muck

/me is damned if he can find a single difference between them, not even the typos.
    M

Who can spot the difference?

Draft: The Goal is to be at or better than the EU average for end-user access to and usage of broadband by mid 2005.

Final: The Goal is to be at or better than the EU average (excluding accession countries) for end-user access to, and usage of, broadband by mid 2005.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

They raised the bar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Jorinn
    They raised the bar?
    We need MoveOn in Ireland, and we need them to wrap excellent TV adverts around statements like that.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by Jorinn
    They raised the bar?

A directive – as in the draft form – asking ComReg to bring Ireland up to the mid 2005 EU average with regards to "end-user access to, and usage of, broadband" would have been a disaster. The new entrants, with the exception of Estonia and Slovenia will bring the EU bb average down to such a low level that ComReg could have leaned back and done nothing and still had succeeded to satisfy the directive.

Excluding the accession states from the equation will have ComReg at its toes. While the bar is damn low – Ireland as an English speaking "Northern" country should not need to aim for average in this field – I like the honesty of the goal-setting.

The e-hub and 5Mb/s for every household by 2005 "plans" have all been squandered. The damage is done and even if Ireland had bb pricing and coverage as the best of the rest, it would take a while to recover. It's akin to a plant whose growth got stunted at an early stage of development. It'll need a lot of extra care to catch up somewhat.

To achieve even the modest aim of the directive Comreg would need to start acting differently from tomorrow onwards. And I can't see them doing so.

What I am interested to know:
    How to define and measure the directive's two terms "end-user access to broadband", and "usage of broadband"?
    Suggestions?

Peter

• Advertisement
Advertisement