Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ha Iolbb Gone Tits Up - I'm In Clare??

• 30-03-2004 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Been out since 1pm today and when I got back cant get BB with IOL!! Has it gone completely or have I been disconnected?? No one is answering the telephone!! Now back on dial up!! What with the postal strike, a bad chest infection, car pranged last week in uk, how bad can it get!!!

Anyone with same problem and anyone know the telephone opening hours? And I hope I have not been disconnected as it will probaly take ages to get back on!!

Woe is me.

gb--

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Midnyte Rambler

Yep..I'm down again...for the umpteenth time..in the Dublin area...back on Dial up too....no calls tonight..!!

Here we go again... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I'm in Blanchardstown, and a chap I know is in Ashbourne, and both of us cannot connect to IOLBB.

How ****ing wonderful.

I shall **** in an envelope and courier it their complaints department in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by Kegser
    I'm in Blanchardstown, and a chap I know is in Ashbourne, and both of us cannot connect to IOLBB.

How ****ing wonderful.

I shall **** in an envelope and courier it their complaints department in the morning.

I may partake in the same ritual... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm on dunlaoire exchange and it's been fine all day..

speeds are a bit slow now..around the 28kbps mark..but apart from that no issues

Down in Kildare too.. Not impressed!

PLUS Iol charged me €57 this month WTF!??:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

52kbyte/sec here right now... no outage...

has been a bit flaky over the past few days though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

JASUS..................

This is cruel. Only down for the last 2 hours but WHY is it down at all. Any why not everyone?

Is it only IOL? And what areas?

I'm in Stillorgan.

Cal

This is my first time on dialup in about a year. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

NO ONE can connect,

ESAT are ****ing idiots, i needed to finish off my project today and i couldnt even check my email to get the attachment and here i`m trying out different dial up numbers.

idiots !

Went in to the Telnet managment thing in the Prestige to try figure out what was the problem.

Got this from the error log

PP10 WARN netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=80470de0

I googled this and it means:
    remote node is connecting

Not very helpful at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to get back on if I disconnected. I'm on the Roachestown Avenue exchange still connected fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Gone in Wexford too. IOL is getting beyond a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

IOLBB Up all day here... no issues at all............

I hope it stays stable here.. I've got to present a project that I am hosting on my IOL BB connection :S

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Down for HOURS. No way in hell im renewing my contract with these clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bonglord

It's been down all evening in Stillorgan.

Just started working again now and the speeds are fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

IOLBB back up again in Wexford, and I notice that their DNS servers have changed. From 194.125.2.240/241 to 192.111.39.1/4. Perhaps this was part of the problems?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yep...let me join the club, was down for hours today. This is bizarre...i was downloading the Far Cry demo for 2 1/2 hours...it came down for me OK.

551 megs @ 51.1K downstream...then after 6pm the server exploaded again!
    This is the issue...IT IS NOT CONTENTION!!!

It's the damn servers or the BAS or some idiot messing about, this is why speeds are pants since the server exploaded last Thursday.

I was beginning to think i was mad, thank god i'm not the only one!
    Yet another call to complain tomorrow......

:rolleyes:

Possibly. Although the errors seemed to be with the Router loggin in to the exchange.
    Before you go blaming IOL, eircom basicly provide the service to IOL and last time this happened it turned out out to be Eircoms fault.
    If you were to jump to conclusions you could say eircom might be doing it to rubish the competition..

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    Been out since 1pm today and when I got back cant get BB with IOL!! Has it gone completely or have I been disconnected?? No one is answering the telephone!! Now back on dial up!! What with the postal strike, a bad chest infection, car pranged last week in uk, how bad can it get!!!

Anyone with same problem and anyone know the telephone opening hours? And I hope I have not been disconnected as it will probaly take ages to get back on!!

Woe is me.

gb--

At least you guys were smart enough to keep your 56K modem. Mine is gone...anyone care to make a donation in times of crisis?

:(

Originally posted by Cal67
    JASUS..................

This is cruel. Only down for the last 2 hours but WHY is it down at all. Any why not everyone?

Is it only IOL? And what areas?

I'm in Stillorgan.

Cal

This is my first time on dialup in about a year. :eek:

I still think it's an issue with a certain sever or BAS, which is why not everyone is being effected. Same as how the issue last Thursday with username/password did not effect all IOL customers.

Esat need to sort this or i am off and they can whistle for their CONtract.

Originally posted by kmurph
    IOLBB back up again in Wexford, and I notice that their DNS servers have changed. From 194.125.2.240/241 to 192.111.39.1/4. Perhaps this was part of the problems?

I think that's automatic, it changes every time you reconnect. Like how you get a new IP every time.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ronoc
    Possibly. Although the errors seemed to be with the Router loggin in to the exchange.
    Before you go blaming IOL, eircom basicly provide the service to IOL and last time this happened it turned out out to be Eircoms fault.
    If you were to jump to conclusions you could say eircom might be doing it to rubish the competition..

Problem is, every time i call Eircom they blame Esat...then i go to Esat and they blame Eircom.

This issue goes back to the Eircom monolopy, as long as you have hardware mixed with other service providers you're gonna have problems.

If Esat were allowed to own and operate (listen up ComReg) there own network we wouldn't have this blame game.

The problem last Thursday related to both Esat and Eircom, both sets of hardware failed.

Altough in fairness xDSL is in its infancy in Ireland at this stage and the last few months have seen a large amount of people coming online via DSL so its not surprising there are a few problems.

It will all iron its self out.

It's up and running a year now, i think it's about time they got their act together...don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Ronoc you are being too kind.

I work in a company where if this sort of thing happened to its staff let alone its customers, heads would roll.

It's all about customers and if you want to keep them or not.

Whether you blame esat or eircon doesn't matter. From an eircon point of view they don't care and have their customers. From esat's they'd want to be able to work on a way of notifying their customers directly about these sort of outages or they wont have any customers in a years time.

IOL are going the way of Netsource and the "no cap" fiasco and capping speeds. It will effect them like Netsource....alot of people read Boards and follow people's advice.

If potential customers keep reading about problems with Esat they will choose some other provider...

It's called competition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is an appalling lack of communication from all the ISP's with their customers. At times it seems to border on contempt.

Seems to me that there is an urgent need for some sort of consumer group to represent broadband users that would have to clout to be able to get onto the ISP's at the appropriate level to make representations and to find out whats going on where theres breaks in service etc.

Its disgusting to think that UTV and IOL have had major issues over the past few weeks and there has been no statement (AFAIK) in plain English stating something to the effect a piece of equipment belonging to X exploded or whatever on such and such a date. The effects of this are blah blah. Normal service will be affected for approx blah blah. We apologise to all users and rest assured we are working etc.

Would the world end or something if that type of statemen was to be issued? At least we would all know what was going on and it might even take some of the pressure of the support lines.

The lack of communication (coupled with the reported very poor service and long waits associated with the 'support' lines) is leading to a lot of frustration for customers and I can't think of any other industry where it would be tolerated.

Maybe we should all suspend our direct debits until we get certain assurances from the ISP's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yep back up here after being down all evening... pings are still ~300ms to boards.ie with 50% packet loss.
    Downloads are better then they were earlier today, which isn't saying much really.
    We need a way out of this contract, this regular downtime and rotten performance is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I have yet to read the contract, but it is null and void if they are unable to provide the service they advertised when you signed up.

I seem to remember 24/7 access was one apparent feature..... which, lets face it, has not been happening. Not since I got BB anyway that's for damn sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Mine was down from around 5 to 11,30

happening alot now adays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Same here only came back about 12am

Advertisement