Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange broadband problem

• 30-03-2004 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭

I accidently disconnected my broadband cable a while ago.

So I reconnected it and when I went to go back on the internet it wouldn't open a page. So I remembered I had disconnected the cable and re-booted thinking that would solove the problem.

Still wouldn't connect. So I reset the adsl line and ran the diagnostic. Failed the PPPoP and still wouldn't connect. So I tried re-booting and re-setting the dsl and re-setting the tcp/ip settings.. Still wouldn't work. Norton kept giving me intrusion alerts from my own i.p. so I disabled that thinking it was maybe blocking it but it still kept giving me the alerts so I eventually uninstalled it.

Still wouldn't connect. I tried re-setting the tcp/ip settings one more time and re-booted and finally it worked. Anyone know what caused this problem?

Re-installing and updating norton now, again :mad:

BloodBath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Re-installed Norton and i'm still getting the intrusion alerts from norton. Checked up my ip and apparantly I have two, one of which is the ip that comes up in the security alert.

:confused:

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

wouldnt this be better suited to the Broadband forum

? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sorry just so used to posting in this forum for my computer problems. Feel free to move it there Mr Admin..

BloodBath

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You dont say who your ISP is but is there any possibility that you were trying to connect during one of the many service breaks that there has been recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I saw something similar with an an eircom dsl line last week. What had happened was that the dsl connection to the modem had been pulled out. The modem had lost its link and so had to redial. However, it had never been logged out from the eircom server. When it tried to log in, it was getting rejected each time. The modem was giving the user no indication of why it couldnt connect. I had to ring eircom to get them to log out the old instance before it could connect.

Dont know if its the same problem, but maybe this will help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement