Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic atacks

Options
  • 31-03-2004 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wandering is there anyone else out there that suffers from panic attacks (or as me doctor xalls them "depression") i was just wandering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Panic attacks and depression are not the same thing.

They can however go hand in hand.

You need to see a trained psychologist, your g.p. obviously has no idea what hes talking about. Unless of course he thinks your panic attacks are a *symptom* of depression, in which case he should explain to you first exactly what depression is and the potential symptoms / triggers involved.

My advice, tell your doctor you need a recomendation for a good psych consult, and that you realise this area is maybe not his forte.

In my vast experience with G.P.s and doctors, they rarely ever admit they're wrong or that they dont know somthing. Somtimes you need to remember that and take the needed action yourself, like finding another doctor or one who specializes in the area you require knowledge of.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Trust me, try a different doctor and keep trying until you find one that you feel is knowledgeable on the subject and sympathetic to you.

That advice goes for shrinks too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Falkorre
    In my vast experience with G.P.s and doctors, they rarely ever admit they're wrong or that they dont know somthing.
    Well, to be fair there is an easy out there - send you for tests / consultant / etc., so I'm not sure if that's a fair comment.

I've suffered from panic attacks from night terrors to being afraid to cross the road (after an accident) to being (all but) petrified as I pass some building sites. This has largely been concurrent with my depression, but I doubt if depression is the only cause of panic attacks among people.

Keep a diary of when you feel panicked and try to decern a pattern.

www.irishhealth.com and www.vhihealthe.com will detail the typical symptoms of depression for you. I'm not sure if they deal with panic attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thanks all ill kep on fighting them and ill win someday. hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Chauncey_freak

Me and a friend suffer with them, especially after a lot of drinking - cut down a bit and i'm grand now.
    I take rivotril and he takes the occasional xanax, sometimes a good anti-anxiety medicine is a massive help. Good luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I used to suffer badly after a terrible experience. But eventually overcame them. However, have a friend now who cannot. Heavily medicated and seeing a psychologist. They come on at the oddest times. I can't seem to make out a pattern. Any advice here? Learning relaxation worked for me, along with no drinking. Alcohol makes it much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Alcohol is a depressant. Cognitive behaviour therapy might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

seanybiker wrote: »
    thanks all ill kep on fighting them and ill win someday. hopefully

You can most certainly beat this.

I suffered from Panic attacks over a period of about 3 years. I don't know what exactly triggered it but it was sheer hell. I very nearly quit university in my final semester but for some help from a friend of the family.

I would go through every single lecture which involved being in a theatre by starting with a attack that would last about 20 minutes. I would be convinced I was about to have a heart attack. I would always sit at the back of the lecture theatre near the door in case I had to leave which I rarely did. This extended to mealtime in College dining rooms where I would have to get up from the table and go sit in a toilet or somewhere for five minutes because I was certain I was going to vomit during mealtime.

What changed this a hell of a lot was talking to somebody who was sympathetic and who understood. In my case a friend of the family was a nurse who I wrote to one night when I hit rock bootom in college. She actually took time off work as soon as she got the letter and travelled to meet me.

While there was a sudden relief when I was able to open up to her, I have to say what made the difference long term for me was actually speaking with her husband who had gone through years of panic attacks and was able to relate exactly to what I was saying and feeling. He was also able to reassure me that I would be free of them.

So I think what is important to know is that you can and will take control of your life. You need as others have said above to talk to somebody who is sympathetic and can relate to your problem. Your doctor obviously is not the right person. AWARE http://www.aware.ie/ may be helpful to you as they run support groups and simply sharing your experiences may help you on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Many axxxxxxx can cause panic attacks. Said from past experience.
    I used to suffer badly after a terrible experience. But eventually overcame them. However, have a friend now who cannot. Heavily medicated and seeing a psychologist. They come on at the oddest times. I can't seem to make out a pattern. Any advice here? Learning relaxation worked for me, along with no drinking. Alcohol makes it much worse.

Advertisement