Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Mexico sets up gay football league

Options
  • 31-03-2004 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Mexico sets up gay football league
    Gay.com UK

Mexico has set up a gay football league for gay players.

All match officials will also have to be gay, reports Mix Brazil.

The league is made up of five teams: The Clan, Fashion Team, The F***ers, G Strength and Your Mother.

They will compete for a cup and the chance to represent Mexico at the World Gay Football Championship.

What are the chances of a 5 a side LGB football league here in Ireland I wonder ?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Seems a tad silly to me - can they not just play in the regular team? And, if in Ireland, would this even be allowed with the Equality Act? I know there's a gay rugby team but, from what I recall, anyone can join (if they wished). It's not offensive just seems kinda... pointless. I'd be interested in seeing though if it's taken seriously in the end, or if it's an excuse to further reinforcce stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

thats some nice segregation there, not to mention making all the guys playing look like fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Some questions:

How many gay footballers are out ?

Name any gay footballers in the Premiership ?

How many non-camp, non-over-the-top, just plain ordinary gay role models are there ?

The football teams can smash the stereotype that gay men can't play football. It can be used a positive display that we don't have to all be into Kylie and afraid to kick a ball.

Some gay men might feel more comfortable being themselves around people of the same sexuality. Christ knows not every gay man is confident about his sexuality and being "out" around a bunch of straight footballers is probably intimidating for some.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well the fact one of the teams is called "Fashion Team" doesn't fill me with a whole load of confidence that they're out to smash stereotypes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Judging them by just a name without seeing them play or know how they came up with that name is very narrowminded.

They may have a sense of humour when naming the teams. Theres another team called Yore MA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement