Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to 1942?

Options
  • 31-03-2004 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who is starting to think about abandoning BFV and returning to BF1942? Things I miss about '42:

1) Wide open spaces which discourage the quake-style BFV playing of running around like a loony with an m60 gunning down anyone you bump into as you turn a corner
    2) Less OTT weapons that require more skill to use
    3) Getting into a tank without hearing Jefferson Airplane
    4) The 'Liberation of Caen' map, which rocks

There's just something about BFV that's a little too like COD/MOHAA in multiplayer...

Also, has anyone else noticed the frankly laughable translations (presumably from Swedish) as BFV loads levels? Try reading/making sense of some of that gibberish...

Yours in an Old Skool stylee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

only just got BFV but have to say the best map i have ever played is on the road to rome mod
    Monte Cassino.... Its pure hell try to get up that hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Well hopefully they'll tone down the m60 in due course.

I do miss the more integrated style of warfare that DC + 42 give.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by magpie
    Am I the only one who is starting to think about abandoning BFV and returning to BF1942?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

To be honest, I agree. The refined engine is nice, but the game sucks. Need patching. Course not as much as BF1942 1.0 - we should all remember how god awfully bug ridden that game was.
    But BF-V is spamtastic - racked up the kills with those stupid homing missles. Insanely lame. And yeah, what moron thought a rocket launcher and heavy machineGun was a good and balanced idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

'42 had better levels, better weapons and was more team-based fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I dunno guys,at first i hated BFV then after forcing myself to play for 2 hours i found myself in front of PC 7 hours later and loving it.
    After a week or soone night i simply was not enjoying it at all.
    The following night i was loving it again,Lastnight i had a blast also.
    Firstly not just the M60 but all automatic weapons are FAR TOO EASY.
    Yes the M60 is beyond a joke but the M16,Car15,Ak and the NVA equivilent of the M60 are all terribly easy to kill with and have little or no recoil.
    It is just hold the fire button at almost any range .
    Compared to COD,Red Orchestra,Forgotten Hope,DC and even BF 1942 it is just far too simplistic for it to be fun.
    I normally use the rifles or snipers and usually only resort to automatics when im spawning with my sniper and keep getting killed by someone lying it wait over and over again to kill me,then to get rid of this guy the autos are best option.
    Its a real shame and one that EA/DICE need to address very soon with a patch.
    The engine is absolutely superb for such vast maps ,i think they got the flying and vehicles more or less spot on but as i said the autos are too easy.
    BF 1942 will always be superb plus it offers my favourite War period WW2 .
    I do really enjoy BFV mostly because i stay away from the auto weapons [Immense fun is to be had with the sniper class and the engineer setting traps]and playing along side the TIG clan guys and the many regulars is just a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

blasphemy!

sure I'll go back now and again as it was my first true online gaming experience but BV is my new mistress :D

and aye the patches will sort a multitude of sins out I recon as well as add new maps, rumour has it a tunnel map is on the go and even another rumor says in game voice chat will eventually become a feature!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

3) Getting into a tank without hearing Jefferson Airplane

Turn off music, or put your own music on.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I know Tanks aint really effective in a Jungle setting but I miss the tank battles I enjoyed in BF '42.
    It seems in BF 'nam that your life-span in a tank is very short indeed and even worse if you decide to pop your head up to use the Heavy machine gun on top!.
    I havent had a good tank battle yet.....even when I do fire at a tank its pointless,
    the occupant of my target tank simply hops out and fires a rocket at me.
    Is there a sweetspot on a tank that can blow it up quicker?.
    I'm sure it used to be the rear of the tank in '42.

The map's design is the main reason I die so easily I reckon.
    Maybe a more open map would lend itself to those long range tank battles.
    Not very Vietnam warlike I suppose..but I still miss it.

As an infantry guy in the game its great fun...and will be even better when the M60 gets toned down a little.

oh and I wish I could fly a helicopter..or even land one!.

DemonBaby/Nem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

even when I do fire at a tank its pointless, the occupant of my target tank simply hops out and fires a rocket at me.

Yeah, that's a bit annoying alright.

Have to say I had a pretty fun game last night, was flyig migs and attempting to fly the Hind with rocket pods, managed to shoot down a few hueys with the rockets but the b*stard pilots always bailed out then started opening up with an m60 while dangling from a parachute!

Also had good fun driving around in an m103 after gunning down its inhabitants after it got stuck on some stairs.

Gotta say, I'm coming around to BFV, but the not being able to see more than 5 feet in fornt of you as an infantryman is kind of freaky. I've had to develop a more cautious style of play, lots of sneaking, ducking, hiding behind bushes and trees etc.

Which class has the punji stakes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Which class has the punji stakes?

Its one of the engineers loadouts, the same one as that carries the mortar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I actually enjoy the close combat action of BFV more than the long range bunnyhopping of BF42. Its much more satisfying lying in the bushes watching 2 or 3 infantrymen pass by on the way to your spawn, then leap out behind them and let them have it with the AK.

And setting up mortar ambushes for vehicles on bridges is class :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Nemesis
    oh and I wish I could fly a helicopter..or even land one!.
    How the heck are you unable to fly a helicopter in BF:Vietnam?

The helicopters are DAMN easy to fly in Vietnam. You should try Desert Combat. :)

I actually enjoy the close combat action of BFV more than the long range bunnyhopping of BF42. Its much more satisfying lying in the bushes watching 2 or 3 infantrymen pass by on the way to your spawn, then leap out behind them and let them have it with the AK.

Tried this tactic the other day and it worked a treat... except I didn't leap anywhere, just lay motionless in the tall grass by a flag, occasionally letting off a short burst into some unsuspecting m60-goon's back, and on one occasion lobbing a grenade into a group of 4 guys, getting 3 off them and sending the other one running for it. Sweet...

I've got to say, BFV has really grown on me. I'm converted.... now if only there was some way to stop the queues of idiots waiting for choppers/migs and get other people to take flags on foot....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive never played 1942 as I only got Broadband and a good gfx card recently , Got vietnam today and DEAR JESUS its good ! I might try 1942 aswell after reading this thread . Dont know how anyone could complain about vietnam though. Sooo much fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Nah. Vietnam Rocks.

Only reason I'd play bf1942 again is to play the mods, and they should be on this engine soon anyway.

Originally posted by fluffer
    Nah. Vietnam Rocks.

Only reason I'd play bf1942 again is to play the mods, and they should be on this engine soon anyway.
    Dont count on it - word from the inside is - BF:V tools suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yer, theres not enough brown in bfv and the rockets are too slow

theres not enough brown in bfv

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by JustHalf
    How the heck are you unable to fly a helicopter in BF:Vietnam?

The helicopters are DAMN easy to fly in Vietnam. You should try Desert Combat. :)

i actually found em lame/boringly easy...no real fun, twas liking having to use s to bring the chopper down, both choppers and aircraft don't seem very responsive either.........game seems too newbie orientated or something, there is no level of skill to aspire to with the vehicles that i've noticed anyway........................

maybe a DC port to BF:V would be nicer................

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    i actually found em lame/boringly easy...no real fun, twas liking having to use s to bring the chopper down, both choppers and aircraft don't seem very responsive either...game seems too newbie orientated or something, there is no level of skill to aspire to with the vehicles that i've noticed anyway...
    I think that sum's up how I feel about BF:V - there's no sense of skill to using any of the vehicles or weapons - it's nice to have a real "pick up and play" feeling, but if you're not being jammy with your heat-seeker missiles or "driving" the choppers across the land, you're spamming with your M60 or Vietcong equivalent. And of course every johnny skillZ0|`newbie gets his 15 minutes
    It encourages loner play even more than Bf42, and they should have expanded on the objective modes of SecretWeapons; would have at least made the maps feel less aimless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

After reading all the posts raving on about 1942 and its mods Im really tempted to buy this game. I have Vietnam and trust me, i love it, but I watched all 2 hours 40 minutes of "Battle of the Bulge" today and it has really put me in the mood for some hardcore WWII online action. I also like the modern setting of Desert Combat which seems to be really popular.
    Point is, should i go out and cough up €40 or whatever it is to buy this game or will i sit it out and wait for a Vietnam mod?
    Any replies will be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

As a game it is well worth the €40 or there abouts.

Id say go for it ... but i get paid to say that*

* I dont actually get paid to say that, but if you would like to pay me for saying so contact me for account inforamtion. Donations welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

BF V is a nice step forward but even tho it looks nice i prefer 42 for the team element and fun. Theres a balance in 42, 2 tanks come together who ever gets the 2 direct hits wins ,Bfv makes that fight crap somehow. But alos the game is very (Bfv that is) but the levels just dont play well best way to put it "everyone is bigger" and maps dont have the flow of 42s.

I will play both but 42 is king for me ,best online game ever made and never gets old.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Shank

yer, theres not enough brown in bfv and the rockets are too slow

lol, too funny my man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Buying 1942 today, do I get the expansion pack edition or stick to the cheaper original? Reply quickly, im leaving soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

original only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i just really hate the city maps(HUE and Quang tri). they're ****e. The ones in DC are a bit better both these ones r well crappy. I prefer the open maps more. it is kinda stupid that they u can have a rocket launcher and big massive machine gun at the same time. when i first saw it i was kinda suprised to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i like hue i have to say, there has been some good fighting on the kinda fortress connection tower type thingy going back and forward across it in the variant where there is two flags to capture on it. its also fun trying to take the bridges. hopefully the patch will sort the balance issues out.

• Advertisement

I have to say I loved the wide open spaces of 42, especially the desert maps... miles of room to manouevre. NOw I know Vietnam wasn't like that, but the maps do seem to encourage the running around aimlessly killing anyone I bump into style of play.

I have had some class games of BFV though.

If only the punji stakes lasted longer, they would really be the equaliser for the VC.

Advertisement