Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax & the Postal dispute

Options
  • 31-03-2004 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Motor tax is up today so I was going to renew it online but the website says
    "don't use this service if you're in Dublin"

I really don't want to go down to the motor tax office cos it'll be more nuts than usual so what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I'm in the same boat. I headed down to the tax office in Nutgrove on Monday afternoon, and there were 114 people ahead of me in the queue. I ended up having to go back to work rather than waiting hours to get called. I then rang the head office in Shannon and they said not to use the online either as they're not posting any new disks out to Dublin drivers.

I'm just going to post the stuff to them and whenever it gets back it gets back. I'm sure that with the numbers of people caught by the dispute the guards will have to be understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'm in a similar situation but am actually stuck in the middle of it. I sent off all the documentation and cheque in the post a few days before the postal strike. I couldn't renew my tax online as it's a new car. So now my tax application and supporting docs are somewhere in limbo in a sorting office somewhere.

I called the Motor Tax office in regards arrears which would be needed if this postal strike continues into next month (which it will) and was told that the strike will be taken into account which is all well and good but it still leaves me with no tax. I can only hope that if I'm stopped for not displaying a tax disc that the Garda also takes the postal strike into account :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well they'd feckin better take it into account. Although I'm sure some of them will be aholes about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by Mick L
    I'm in a similar situation but am actually stuck in the middle of it. I sent off all the documentation and cheque in the post a few days before the postal strike. I couldn't renew my tax online as it's a new car. So now my tax application and supporting docs are somewhere in limbo in a sorting office somewhere.

I called the Motor Tax office in regards arrears which would be needed if this postal strike continues into next month (which it will) and was told that the strike will be taken into account which is all well and good but it still leaves me with no tax. I can only hope that if I'm stopped for not displaying a tax disc that the Garda also takes the postal strike into account :rolleyes:

Afaik - you won't get caught for arrears. They'll take your cheque and issue a disk covering the period from whenever the car hit the road, not whenever they processed the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Originally posted by aodh_rua
    Afaik - you won't get caught for arrears. They'll take your cheque and issue a disk covering the period from whenever the car hit the road, not whenever they processed the application.
    That's what I thought with my FIRST application. That was returned to me because the date for the start of tax was in a previous month and I was informed that they can only issue tax discs from the stat of the current month. Previous months must be entered as arrears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

We should all complain about the state of the MotorTax syetem. I went down there today to get a new car (first registered) taxed, I couldn't find the RF100 so went down with VRC and Insurance Cert. Assumed that they would be able to see that the VRT had been paid.

Not a chance.

"You don't have the RF100"
    I know, can you look it up on the system?
    "You'll have to ring the VRO, Next!"
    Rang the VRO - can you fax a copy, you can - great, here talk to the Tax office...

Eventually...the tax office tells me that they refuse to take the fax and will only let me register for tax if I present the original, no exceptions. Another day off work then.

Blatent bureaucracy - why the hell they can't move the VRO office (that NEVER answer the phone) fron Dun L to Dundrum so that it is a one-stop shop is beyond me.

Anyone understand why the Vehicle Registration and Vehicle Tax depts are two separate depts????!!??GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MadsL
    Blatent bureaucracy - why the hell they can't move the VRO office (that NEVER answer the phone) fron Dun L to Dundrum so that it is a one-stop shop is beyond me. Anyone understand why the Vehicle Registration and Vehicle Tax depts are two separate depts????!!??GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
    If by Dundrum you mean Nutgrove, Nutgrove is run by Dublin City Council, whereas DL is probably run by DL-R

Advertisement