Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMI wields the axe

Options
  • 31-03-2004 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

EMI are dropping 1500 jobs in an effort to cut costs. Its artist roster will also be reduced by about 20%, mostly "niche and under-performing" acts.

So if you're not on Pop Idol, you don't get signed? Is it just me or does it look like the biz is killing itself on purpose and blaming downloading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Is it just me or does it look like the biz is killing itself on purpose and blaming downloading?

It's not killing itself, it's just killing good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

This is sad news indeed

But am I just being really optimistic or does this not point toward a new breed of indie labels coming on the scene with some success a-la late eighties/early nineties?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by article6
    It's just killing good music.

To all whom illegally file share music – I hate to say some of us told you so (as in, this would happen).

However, this could be a very good thing if the artists to be affected have the sense to release their music independently - like some Irish artists have done quite well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    or does this not point toward a new breed of indie labels

Woops, missed that.

Advertisement