Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning Smoking Outside Pubs

Options
  • 31-03-2004 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

got a Waterford Today through the letterbox last night and on the front page it mentioned that the city council are now talking about banning smoking outside of pubs and betting offices etc. etc. is this what they are doing now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Okay I was totally in favour of the smoking ban inside pubs, but this is totally rediculous. You're just going to have people smoking inside the toilets 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

obviously they are referring to the 'litter problem' it will cause - which anyone with a gramme of common sence knows could be solved by putting a litter bin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

a lot of these places already have cigarette bins but when people are drunk or lazy they'll just feck the butts on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

then it's up to the business to keep their patch clean.
    They have been whinging about this too - but how long does it take to sweep 2-3 meters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Depends on where the business is located, on a fri or sat night you could end up with 20 or 30 people standing on the footpath outside a premises and this could
    cause an obstruction to others.. id say thats where the concern is..

But then again, they should have thought of all this before the ban went into effect..

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well I can see where their coming from... 20 to 30 drunk people standing outside a pub is going to lead to trouble.

However I find it totally rediculous that if you wanted to smoke, you'd have to walk 100's of metres away from the place. It would make chain-smokers fitter though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

well you should enjoy them before they are completely outlawed. by the looks of it, it wont be too long. this country gets more rediculous by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Of course they are going to have problems with people outside bars,pubs, discos etc. It was inevitable.
    What amazes me is how damned polite everyone is. A bit of civil disobedience might make the government change its tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

People generally only get in fights when they've got nothing better to do. Most of the people outside the pubs will be concentrating on smoking. ;) What we actually need to watch out for is fights inside pubs caused by drunken smoker withdrawl.

In any event I'm for the smoking ban.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I am very surprised that none of you noticed the date of this article. March31/ April 1st

Yes this was an April FOOOOOOOOOOOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Leonard
    I am very surprised that none of you noticed the date of this article. March31/ April 1st

i was had. time to boycott the free paper every monday :D

a handy read though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Leonard

Was it? Considering the kind of crap being spewed by the current government and its minions it would not surprise me in the least if they were serious about this.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i was had. time to boycott the free paper every monday :D

a handy read though

Dont you mean every Wednesday. It comes out on wednesdays

i get mine every monday evening through the letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

maybe yours is 5 days late??

that's what i thought but this week it arrived on Tuesday

I would assume that you have a good man/woman delivering your copy. Mine arrives on Wednesday mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

The Waterford Today seem to be the best at this April fools stuff. Last year it was housing for asylum seekers to be built in Walsh park, the year before the clock tower was being moved to another point on the N25, just on the other (Kilkenny) side of the bridge.

Classy :)

Advertisement