Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YPDs leading equality campaign - Duggan

Options
  • 31-03-2004 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Taken from Politics.ie

http://www.politics.ie/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4226

Speech given by Diane Duggan at YPD workshop on Same Sex Civil Unions at PD National Conference in Killarney - Saturday March 27th 2004

"Minister McDowell, Councillor Lynn, fellow YPDs, guests and friends. Thank you for attending our discussion workshop this afternoon. My name is Diane Duggan and I’m National Chairperson of the Young Progressive Democrats. I was elected in November, as the first female chair of this current organisation and the first national chair from outside of Dublin. I am the embodiment of the Young Progressive Democrats promoting gender Equality and decentralisation.

I’m a postgraduate student in the University of Limerick, reading law, having completed my undergraduate degree in psychology from University College Cork last year.

In organising this workshop we had hoped to get a high profile spokesperson in the arena of equality. Unfortunately Nelson Mandela wasn’t available so we went with the next best thing: me. Our workshop is entitled ‘All different, all equal’. This encompasses a variety of issues in the realm of Equality, but the most significant one for us, as we adopted it as official YPD policy at our own conference in November, is that of rights for homosexuals. As we explored this notion in greater detail, we discovered that one of the most fundamental areas which is lacking is that of the status of partnership among homosexuals. In this country, homosexuals are not allowed marry or even engage in a civil ceremony, which aside from all the emotional issues this entails, means that homosexuals are discriminated against in the areas of tax, inheritance and workplace rights. The unofficial and indistinct standing of homosexual couples relates to many issues on a broader spectrum, it encapsulates many sectors of society, including cohabiting heterosexual couples. The role of the Nuclear family, as enshrined in our constitution, while admirable in its aspirations, unfortunately neglects and often does not reflect the realities of contemporary Irish society.

The perception of homosexuality has tread a varied and often troubled path throughout history. I won’t go into great detail, as I’m sure there are others in this room more finely versed than I on such a topic. I will say however that the last century, particularly the latter half has seen an assuagement of the stigma that was homosexuality. Examples of this are extensive. Ireland, while somewhat behind other countries, finally decriminalised homosexual acts in 1992 after Senator David Norris brought the issue to the European Court of Human Rights, having previously lost his case in the Irish courts in 1983. Senator Norris sends his best regards to us today, apologies that he can’t be here and congratulates us on taking on this issue. The DSM III (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders used for psychiatric and psychological classification) removed homosexuality from the realm of disorders in the late 1970’s following a general and widespread belief for many previous years that homosexuality in realistic terms was entirely distinct from any classification of disorder. Thankfully, heightened research in human sexuality and disorders has progressed and developed to an extent where the singular concept of ‘homosexuality’ is far removed. In an enlightened society, homosexuality is increasingly being welcomed to the norms within which it truly belongs. As trends, ideas, notions and customs change throughout time and across the world, we have reached a point where it now only makes sense to implement Equality, that truly renders people equal. In a political climate of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism, where individual freedoms have never been so appraised, why not let all individuals enjoy that freedom.

Having looked at historical, psychological and political motivations for such a move as to implement enhanced Equality for homosexuals, it may be worth our while to examine the moral implications of such an issue. While discussing morals at a political conference may appear to be a fruitless endeavour, I will proceed nonetheless. I don’t mean to preach or give a sermon, I’ll just tell ye a little story about the preparations for this workshop today. I have been in contact with many Lesbian Gay and Bisexual Societies in colleges throughout Ireland over the past number of weeks, informing them of our campaign and inviting them here today to be involved in the process. Now, being actively involved in politics at the age of 23 isn’t always the most light-hearted or jocular of pastimes, but I have to say, it was truly heart-warming and inspiring to receive the reaction I did. People were genuinely excited about this event, overjoyed to have been asked to partake in a process that would ultimately improve their standard of life, their enthusiasm was truly gratifying. Until unfortunately, as I began to confirm numbers in the last few days, I was informed (and while I understand, some couldn’t make it for practical reasons) that despite the initial fervour to be involved, many were reluctant to attend as they were nervous about speaking out. They were scared to unmask themselves on such a personal level, as mere attendance would exemplify. They were fearful to demonstrate who they truly are. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am saddened that I live in a society where individuals are afraid to openly discuss such vital issues of personal implication, that they would rather stay quiet than be judged, purely on their sexuality. Its time we did something to change that society.

This is not just an issue for homosexuals or bisexuals – it is an issue for all of us. Heterosexuals live in a society where they are privileged among others, with more rights than others. I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t feel comfortable about that. It is imperative that in-depth discussion on this issue occurs across various sectors of society, as it is complex and there are a million different ways to approach it, either through minor legislative reform, or on a larger scale – through constitutional amendment. The Young Progressive Democrats have been instrumental in initiating this process. Its not a simple issue, it cannot be fixed by the stroke of a politician’s pen, but this did not dissuade us. We are not naïve enough to believe that this can be a straightforward campaign, but we have the courage of our conviction to believe, we will not let this one lie. For the first time in Irish history, homosexual and bisexual groups have been invited to partake in a political process that will ultimately affect them. Might we even hope, that such minority groups will no longer be forced to seek such recourse in the courts in single-issue cases and have long overdue reforms sluggishly implemented. When homosexual acts were decriminalised in Ireland, it occurred through the intervention of the European Court of Human Rights. Why, ladies and gentlemen, should modern Ireland, the bastion of economic growth, with a vibrant and progressive people leading the way and allowing new European countries imitate our success, why should we have human rights issues implemented from outside our own jurisdiction? The time is nigh for legislative reform of our own invention.

A complex path lies ahead, and a long path at that. The Young Progressive Democrats believe that implementing a civil partnership registration scheme may be a suitable beginning. There are many options to explore, many opinions and ideas that need to be heard. Dialogue is the key to proceeding in order to reap optimum rewards and today is the beginning of that process. They say that all change begins as a small idea, often met with scorn, frequently disregarded, but as it grows, becomes the change that everyone wonders afterwards, how they could have progressed without. That change can begin in the strangest of places, even in a small conference room in a hotel in Killarney.

Through such dialogue as can occur today, we can exemplify how boundaries can be opened up, how minority groups should not feel they have to shy away, instead, we can engage in a process where we celebrate our diversity. All different, all equal."

Minister Michael McDowell reacted favourably to the YPD motion and has said that it is an issue that is being taken on at government level.

Guest Speaker at the conference included Caoilfhionn Dunne from 'Out in UL' who spoke personally, passionately and most impressively.

Advertisement