Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All not well at Old Trafford!

• 31-03-2004 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

It seems Van Nist may miss the FA cup match with arsenal after he picked up a knee injury on international duty.

He may have to return to England early for treatment.

Meanwhile, Saha has claimed that Van Nist isn't as good a player as Henry, lacks big match experience and doesn't contribute enough to the teams play.

I'm tempted to think this is a ploy to lull Arsenal into thinking Utd are caving in, but if its true, there may be a big summer fallout at Old Trafford!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by syke
    Meanwhile, Saha has claimed that Van Nist isn't as good a player as Henry, lacks big match experience and doesn't contribute enough to the teams play.

Id like to see the source on this but if it's true it's very much the kind of thing that would cause ructions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Ahhh come on....

Saha's comments are nothing more than pure mind game type tactics....how can a striker get away with making comments lke that about his other fellow striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    Id like to see the source on this but if it's true it's very much the kind of thing that would cause ructions!

Source

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

And there was I thinking this thread was going to be about the report saying Old Trafford was unsafe!

This smells of bullshit to me. I fully expect to see RVN starting on saturday, with no hard feelings in sight.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I wouldn't believe everything that the Sun tells me... :rolleyes:

I'm not going to believe that until I hear him say it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

GOD... simple fact is Saha was asked to compare Van Nistelrooy and Henry, so he did, he simply stated that Henry has more experience, arguable, and that Henry plays a different game, true.

Now Saha isnt the brightest spark and certainly isnt equal to VN, im also sure he didnt want to put his newly acquired Old Trafford career in doubt, and i dont think he meant any offence to his team-mate.

On the one hand, he was making a simple, objective viewpoint on the comparison of two players whom he has played with, and on the other he was being stitched up by the media to LOOK like he was shooting VN down.. i doubt Man U players or any Utd fan with a few cells of intelligence believe this... i for one, dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=295802&cc=5739
    another source!

Who is Saha to talk. He has been crap for United this season and was a fine example of a 'panic' buy as I have ever seen. The highest level!!!!!!! Fulham!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

here too

people seem to forget that saha is french and could be in for a call up for euro 2004 and licking henry's ass is one way of doing it :)
    seems to be putting his national side before his club side imo

anyway he is just confirming what 99% of footballers and fans know so i dont see what the big deal is to be honest

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Morphéus
    GOD... simple fact is Saha was asked to compare Van Nistelrooy and Henry, so he did, he simply stated that Henry has more experience, arguable, and that Henry plays a different game, true.

Now Saha isnt the brightest spark and certainly isnt equal to VN, im also sure he didnt want to put his newly acquired Old Trafford career in doubt, and i dont think he meant any offence to his team-mate.

On the one hand, he was making a simple, objective viewpoint on the comparison of two players whom he has played with, and on the other he was being stitched up by the media to LOOK like he was shooting VN down.. i doubt Man U players or any Utd fan with a few cells of intelligence believe this... i for one, dont.
    Spot on.

"Ruud never scores from outside the 18-yard area and never takes free-kicks. It is very rare to see him trying his luck from distance," he said.

"Ruud doesn't take much of a part in the team's collective play. His game is all about finishing."

spot on too
    ruud is a one dimensional player all he can do is finish(which he does very very well)
    but henry has the whole works(bit weak in the air though)

maybe its a hint for ruud to score from outside the box for once!! :)
    bad news too if he misses the fa cup match

forlan and bellion up front!! llol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I agree with what he's is saying and agree its been sensationalised by the media but in fairness he's a bit stupid to be saying anything like the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

If what Saha said is true and I was RVN. I would be pretty upset that a team mate would say that.

If I was Alex ferguson reading that, I would be very annoyed with those comments.

I for one, hope he was not stupid enough to say that cos if he did, that is the most stupdi thing anyone could ever say.

On another note, I wonder where f365 and bbc sport get all this **** from. Just the other day Wenger apparently said henry and Lauren(or was it pires or ljungberg? Well one of them anyway) will not be playing on Sunday against Utd. Then yesterday I read, Henry is bashing the utd players for starting rumours about himself and lauren having a bust up and how he does not respect them as men or players and urging people to watch him play so well this sunday. What is the story? Which one is true? Did Henry say that?
    Does he really not respect utd as players or men? Sometimes the bull**** and rumours contradict themselves and overlap each other. It pisses me off.:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm watching Sky Sports News the last hour and it hasn't been mentioned so its probably just people trying to make something out of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

it just a load of media crap to fill the gap in the page imo

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭gudpony

Hes not crap he scored 5 goals in 5 games like. But he has brought us bad luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I'm watching Sky Sports News the last hour and it hasn't been mentioned so its probably just people trying to make something out of nothing.

It was on it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just been announced a while ago the injury is not as bad as first thought and has cleared up well and might even play a half of the friendly tonite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

sky sports

it seems 2 b true and even tho his comments are fairly accurate in my view i would be surprised if Alex Ferguson hadnt somethin 2 do wit d comments. He wants to build a high pedestal for Arsenal and then try knock them off it. Of course no-one listens to what he says anymore cos its all "mind-games" so he gets people like Saha and Nevielle to say what he wants.

if i'm wrong(which is possible:eek:)Saha will be in the sh1t at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL its mind games.

As for Henry and Van Horseface they are two very different players both excellent at what they do. It was incredibilly silly of Saha to say what he is supposed to have said you never bad mouth your team mates (unless your Roy Keane of course ;)).

Van Divesalot will play this weekend.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Scammo

Saha will not be **** at OT
    he has scored more goals more goals than Ruud since he joined(and he's been injured) and as for bringing bad luck if it wasnt for saha we would have lost to arsenal and fulham and instead of trying to finish the season in 2nd place we would have been looking over our shoulder worrying about 5th and 6th place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There wouldn't be a game on the weekend by any chance would there? Its all media build up.

As for Ruud and frogface Ruud is the better Striker , henry does more than finish he assists on a lot of goals takes set pieces and probably cuts the grass and washes The kit at highbury.

Roll on saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

instead of trying to finish the season in 2nd place we would have been looking over our shoulder worrying about 5th and 6th place.

hardly bit of an exageration there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by DEG viper
    hardly bit of an exageration there

Don't think so mate, Saha has scored goals to win points for United since he joined.

These are the points that currently mean United are in 3rd place, well ahead of 4th, and not worrying about finishing in 4th position, or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if these were actually saha's words, It's not like it's a big secret that henry is a better well rounded striker and probably the best in the world (said as a utd fan)

They are both different players and they both do different things very well but I agree with saha.

He didn't put rudd down he was just honest and I'm sure rudd knows this and I'm sure it was said this week to fire rudd up. he has gone a few games without a goal and he'll probably go out on saturday with a point to prove

lets hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

To say that Van Nistlerooy can only finish is just stupid imo. I've seen him in many a game hold up the ball so his team mates support him . He then lays the ball off and runs towards goal for the return. One dimensional my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A bit like what Sparky Hughes used to do for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Goal against Fulham last year.....and the one in Champions League against Basle.......pure class....Van the Man can do more than just finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Saha and Henry are FRENCH.
    Saha wants into France team for Euro 2004. butter up Henry, Henry talks to coach (Santini?), Saha plays in Euro '04. simplistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Aliminator
    Saha wants into France team for Euro 2004. butter up Henry, Henry talks to coach (Santini?), Saha plays in Euro '04. simplistic.

Crap ! what sane international manager would pick his team on such criteria (mick obviously excluded).;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

He'll have a hard time to get into the team IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

cheers lads.

well Trezegoal isn't the same anymore. nor is Wiltoord, or Cisse.

why not? too simple a mind game for a Fergie protege?

or complex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Goal against Fulham last year.....and the one in Champions League against Basle.......pure class....Van the Man can do more than just finish

but thats the point,

henry has scored dozens of goals like these requiring agility and close touches, van nist has only scored the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I still feel henry is totally over-rated. I'll admit he is the best striker in the Premiership but what has he done outside of it? Hasn't exactly set the world alight for France and was very poor in Italy where he wouldn't have gotten as much time or space.

Hes a great player but not best/second best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I believe he spent his time at Juve on the wing (or on the bench)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I always thought that Henry is an absolutely amazing Winger, I think thats where he really should play, can you imagine if they had Henry on the wing with a pure striker in the middle!!

Most of Henry's goals are from outside the box, or break away finishes, thats a winger quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

Thats what I always said PHB.

If he goes to Real Madrid, he will be taking Zidanes place on the left side of attacking midfield. With Ronaldo in the centre as the striker.

But he is not going to Real Madrid so thats that equation out the window just like this thread as Saha never said that stuff about van Nist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

Apparently I'm the only Arsenal fan on this thread to remember back beyond the last 12 months, and the goal that Van N scored at Highbury, making muppets out of our defence & keeper in the process.

Its a nonsense to say VanN is limited to tap-in finishing. He is the best around at it, but I've seen him beat players, hold the ball up, and link-up creatively with Giggs in particular. He's probably the tightest marked player in the PL, as he plays the lone target man a lot of the time, and thats probably why we havent seen more of the deep runs, but he's well capable of it.

I'd suggest Saha has been at OT for the Van N's poorest run of form in his ManU career, and that he has yet to see the best of him in person.

At the same time, no-on could deny Henry's on fire in the PL the last couple of seasons. He scores goals few others could. One advantage he has is being surrounded by players who link up so well. When teams play Arsenal, its impossible to man-mark them all. Henry gets more licence and space to play deep and roam. I'd be worried if he wasnt scoring his quota of long range efforts.

Different players playing in different team formations, but very similar strike-rates, so there's nothing definitive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

That one can go round in circles, Van N is far more proven and prolific in the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by doozerjack
    That one can go round in circles, Van N is far more proven and prolific in the CL.

Has he played in a world Cup Final??

Henry has more experience, simple!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

So if Portugal get to the final of Euro 2004 and Ronaldo plays he'll be more experienced than Roy Keane because he played in a major championship final? One match!

Thats a load of crap. Henry may have played in the WC final but its one game out of how many will he play in his career? He didn't exactly set it alight. At least Van Nistelrooy plays regularly in the CL and has some kind of scoring record in the competition. Henry has never really set the CL alight for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I hate all these comparisons between VanN & Henry. They are 2 completely different types of player, so there is no point in comparing them!!

And if any supporter of either team was to be honest, they'd love to have them both in their team [Henry with his pace & movement - VanN with his hold up play & finishing]!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    And if any supporter of either team was to be honest, they'd love to have them both in their team [Henry with his pace & movement - VanN with his hold up play & finishing]!

they would be lethal mmm maybe spurs might go in for them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MarkT

cheers lads.

well Trezegoal isn't the same anymore. nor is Wiltoord, or Cisse.

why not? too simple a mind game for a Fergie protege?

or complex

Cisse is absolutely banging them in, in the French league! Pity he's suspended though..And in fairness there is no RVN/Henry debate. Henry is the 2nd best player in the world with the best obviously being ZZ. End of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Just on the RVN vs Terry Henry, you look at the goal RVN got last year against arsenal in highbury, cant see Henry scoring a goal like that, i dont believe he'd have the same strength to out muscle the likes of campbell.....I think the saha comments have been blown out of proportion, what he was asked i believe wehre a seris of true or flase type questions, comparing the two, RVN got 48/50 and Terry Henry got 50/50 or something like that.....hence the "more complete" comment. Media will always piss about this kinda comments, trying to sell papers & fire up the game on saturday.....

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bazkaz

The papers will say and twist anything they can to sell more copies to the people who read the paper from back to front.... Saha needs more time to settle etc and as for the comparisons between RVN and TH, well i for one would love to see them both in banging them in for Man Utd.

At least Van Nistelrooy plays regularly in the CL and has some kind of scoring record in the competition. Henry has never really set the CL alight for me.

and yet henry has 31 goals in the champs league the 4th player ever to go over the 30 mark along with
    raul, ruud and (i forget...sevchenkio!?!).

what do you want him to do score ten goals a game!?
    and dont forget how many assists he will have gotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by johnor
    Just on the RVN vs Terry Henry, you look at the goal RVN got last year against arsenal in highbury, cant see Henry scoring a goal like that, i dont believe he'd have the same strength to out muscle the likes of campbell

john

Are you taking the piss?

RVN scores one goal, did you see the goal henry scored against united at the weekend? Or the one he got a few years ago again at highbury when he flicked it up. RVN couldnt score half the goals TH scores FACT. RVN is a stunning player but he is an out and out box finisher. I dont think anyone here can name a goal he has scored from 20+ yards.

And appartently TH hasnt cut it in the CL? Can someone get stats? Id say hes not too far off RVN considering he has probably played less games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by NightStrike
    So if Portugal get to the final of Euro 2004 and Ronaldo plays he'll be more experienced than Roy Keane because he played in a major championship final? One match!

Thats a load of crap. Henry may have played in the WC final but its one game out of how many will he play in his career? He didn't exactly set it alight. At least Van Nistelrooy plays regularly in the CL and has some kind of scoring record in the competition. Henry has never really set the CL alight for me.

Sorry is Henry not still playing the champions league while RVN is out??

Saha was correct Henry has more experience!!

Is he a better player?, well thats an different question all together.

IMHO, yes he's got class that can turn nothing into a goal, just last week against United, I couldn't see RVN doing that TBH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement