Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All not well at Old Trafford!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

by way of comparison, this is like arguing who's best between Aldridge and Keegan, Lineker or Duff, Pires or Scholes.
    Is there any point?

For whats its worth, I dont think Henry did anything whatsoever to be proud of in the 02 World Cup, and was hardly a focal point of the 98 winning team. In the PL, he's got to be respected, but I've rarely been impressed with him on the european club or international stage to the same level.
    Van N, by comparison, rarely fails to excel in his game on either level.

The point about "experience" is only valid if you consider Phil Neville a better player than S Gerrard. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

quote: JTurkey
    Are you taking the piss?

RVN scores one goal, did you see the goal henry scored against united at the weekend? Or the one he got a few years ago again at highbury when he flicked it up.....

I think the point is it wasnt just one goal, someone said there'd been only two, and so another was named.
    re Henry's goal last w/end, great shot, power and dip etc, but it should have been saved. Same for the other one you mentioned, Barthez was hammered for letting it in. (Btw, arent they the only two goals he's scored against United? Could be wrong, but .... )
    If it came to it, Van N's was more impressive, and gets my vote. Each to his own though, they contribute in different ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by SanFranMan
    by way of comparison, this is like arguing who's best between Aldridge and Keegan, Lineker or Duff, Pires or Scholes.
    Is there any point?

For whats its worth, I dont think Henry did anything whatsoever to be proud of in the 02 World Cup, and was hardly a focal point of the 98 winning team. In the PL, he's got to be respected, but I've rarely been impressed with him on the european club or international stage to the same level.
    Van N, by comparison, rarely fails to excel in his game on either level.

The point about "experience" is only valid if you consider Phil Neville a better player than S Gerrard. :confused:

Van Nist has done nothing at International level of note so thats half of your arguement out the window.

The other side falls flat too:
    Henry was the top scorer for France in both their 98 and 00 winning teams so I dunno how that equates to "hardly the focal point".
    As for Henry in Europe, he was one of the main reasons Monaco made it to the CL semi final in '98, scoring 7 goals and is the joint 4th highest scorer in CL since it went to league format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by syke
    Henry was the top scorer for France in both their 98 and 00 winning teams so I dunno how that equates to "hardly the focal point".
    As for Henry in Europe, he was one of the main reasons Monaco made it to the CL semi final in '98, scoring 7 goals and is the joint 4th highest scorer in CL since it went to league format.

I think that will shut a few Henry bashers up, I find this board a little silly sometimes.

I can understand people backing players they support but it go's beyond the point of stupid sometimes.

I mean I support Villa and when they played Biringham recently I predicted a draw, some Villa fans asked was I mad and I said no just being real, the result was a draw.

Peoples affections cloud their judgement all too often

irish1 "I think that will shut a few Henry bashers up, "

For the record, Im not an "Henry-basher", and I think the point of a chatroom is to converse / discuss, not try to shut people up(?!).
    I did mention that I didnt see any point in the comparing two players of differing style, and was only expressing my opinion that for what they each do, I find Van N more consistent (is there anything else to base such a comparison on?).

I dont have any reason to "bash" Henry, I just find him frequently dissapointing. Possibly because I hear about him being talked up so much eg Mark T: "Henry is the 2nd best player in the world with the best obviously being ZZ. End of! "

re Monaco, he had a scoring rate of about 1 goal in 5 games, which is hardly stupifying even for a winger, and similarly miserable for Juventus. Yes, he's turned it on big style against poor english defences, but I personally dont find him deserving of some of the a*se kissing he gets.

re French national team, he was pants at WC 2002, very dissapointing, at 98 France's forwards were noted as being the weak point of the team. The defence and midfield were the basis of their success (and the scorers of the Final goals). He scored THREE goals Euro 2000. He's good, but personally I dont yet rank him with the all-time greats, as some people seem to.

Syke, whether or not Van N has / does / will / not win any international tournaments has no bearing on Henry's record (silly "argument"). For what I've seen (and I dont have any affections for teams any more, the last time I did was Barcelona 20 years ago), Van N rarely dissapoints.

I'm not trying to shut anyone up, just putting a different perspective on things, and giving my opinion. Sorry if it ruffles the Henry fanatics, but thats opinions for you.

Syke, whether or not Van N has / does / will / not win any international tournaments has no bearing on Henry's record (silly "argument"). For what I've seen (and I dont have any affections for teams any more, the last time I did was Barcelona 20 years ago), Van N rarely dissapoints.

RVN was disappointing last week against Arsenal, he never got into the game.

This season I think Henry has been the better player, and the stats below from SkySports seem to point that out also.

stats.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by irish1
    RVN was disappointing last week against Arsenal, he never got into the game.

This season I think Henry has been the better player, and the stats below from SkySports seem to point that out also.

stats.jpg

So because he had one bad game hes ****e? Henry did very little apart from his goal in that match too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by NightStrike
    So because he had one bad game hes ****e? Henry did very little apart from his goal in that match too.

Your a neutral?

Vans hardly on form. Something like 1 in 7 or 8. Hardly leathal

re Monaco, he had a scoring rate of about 1 goal in 5 games, which is hardly stupifying even for a winger
    Really, are you just making stuff up or are you living in a fantasy land? He scored 7 goals in the CL finals for monaco. What team playes 35 games in one year? He actually played 10 games for Monaco. 6 Qualifiers and 4 legs over the two CL round. & in 10 is a pretty impressive scoring rate for a winger.

and similarly miserable for Juventus.

Now I *know* you're just making stuff up to argue. Henry never played for Juve in the CL.

re French national team, he was pants at WC 2002, very dissapointing, at 98 France's forwards were noted as being the weak point of the team. The defence and midfield were the basis of their success (and the scorers of the Final goals). He scored THREE goals Euro 2000. He's good, but personally I dont yet rank him with the all-time greats, as some people seem to.

Well now, in 98 he was only 21 and played on the wing. He played on the wing in 2000 as well. Considering he is a winger and the team had no goalscorers, the fact that he managed to finish their top scorer (in a team that had so much talent) means a lot more than a simple poacher style striker. in 2002 the whole french team imploded, and Henry was sent off so didn't play all the games anyway.

You have the least logical arguing style (for the stuff you haven't made up) ever!

Syke, whether or not Van N has / does / will / not win any international tournaments has no bearing on Henry's record (silly "argument"). For what I've seen (and I dont have any affections for teams any more, the last time I did was Barcelona 20 years ago), Van N rarely dissapoints. .

Except when he dissapoints at international level? You throw all your criticisms at one player, but find the other player exempt? Funny how biased that is.

Sorry if it ruffles the Henry fanatics, but thats opinions for you.

Actually its biased opinion based on uninformed an inaccurate information, but hey, we'll all give your argument the respect it deserves.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Henry_14

Vans hardly on form. Something like 1 in 7 or 8. Hardly leathal

Yeah hes off form at the minute but you don't base someone over a handful of games, thats the point I'm making.

Show me where I said he's shi.te?????

Don't put words in my mouth!!!

SanFranMan said he rarely disappoints, I was just pointing out that in one of UTD's biggest games this year, he did dissapoint.

Now I suggest you read my posts in future before posting crap like above:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Actually its biased opinion based on uninformed an inaccurate information, but hey, we'll all give your argument the respect it deserves.
    well said
    i still cant believe some people think van is the better player than henry!?

too much man utd corn flakes for breakfast i think!!

Sir Alec said Ruuud is a serious doubt.

I think he'll play:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Won't make much difference either way imo, Van Nist seems to be more concerned with staying the hell away from Vieira ;)

Originally posted by elbow316
    Won't make much difference either way imo, Van Nist seems to be more concerned with staying the hell away from Vieira ;)

It will make a difference if Diego has to play......

• Advertisement

Yeah, I pity the poor Villa Park ball boys having to keep running either side of the goals :(

Originally posted by Henry_14
    It will make a difference if Diego has to play......

You obviously haven't learned from the indignity of having Ian Hart score against you last season..... mwuhahaha

Imagine being booted out of the cup by Forlan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

surprise surprise Wenger says henry is out fergies says Ruud is out , yet we all know both will play . We should be used to mind games by now.

You obviously haven't learned from the indignity of having Ian Hart score against you last season..... mwuhahaha

Imagine being booted out of the cup by Forlan ;)

Ill give you that one;)

Originally posted by The Muppet
    surprise surprise Wenger says henry is out fergies says Ruud is out , yet we all know both will play . We should be used to mind games by now.

Its theatre more fitting of the WWE to be honest.
    I wonder are they on the phonelaughing to each other about it all :)

• Advertisement

quote:

quote jank:
    well said
    i still cant believe some people think van is the better player than henry!?
    too much man utd corn flakes for breakfast i think!!

Syke, rather than risk sending you off on another deranged rant, I'll ignore your confused jibes, accept the fact that we have differing opinions on Henry's consistency , and refer you (if interested in knowing) to a link that suggests maybe I didnt make anything up about Henry's strike-rate in the French and Italian leagues. http://www.playerhistory.com/soccerplayer_statistics.asp?PLAYID=151
    20 goals in 106 games for Monaco
    3 in 16 for Juve
    not far off the 1 in 5, probably worse than I thought.

Jank, I never said "van is better ......", sigh........... is it possible anymore to question the sublime brilliance of anything remotely to do with Arsenal without being accused of being a ManU fanatic???? The rest of us have opinions too guys, and likely a little less blinkered than you think
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Both players are in and about their prime now playing in the same league. Who has more goals? Who has more assists (and by how much???)? Exactly, Henry is a far better player all around (RVN is still a brilliant player). There can be no dispute. **** all this history ****e, Henry only really matured when he arrived at Highbury.

On the evidence of Arsenal's last 3 games, Henry has hardly risen to the big occassion. He was below ordinary on Sat. There's time for him to raise it a level over the next few weeks and bury that rep, but the jury's still out.

Syke, rather than risk sending you off on another deranged rant, I'll ignore your confused jibes, accept the fact that we have differing opinions on Henry's consistency , and refer you (if interested in knowing) to a link that suggests maybe I didnt make anything up about Henry's strike-rate in the French and Italian leagues. http://www.playerhistory.com/soccerplayer_statistics.asp?PLAYID=151
    20 goals in 106 games for Monaco
    3 in 16 for Juve
    not far off the 1 in 5, probably worse than I thought.

Except that is the domestic strike rate of a winger. Do you want to include the under 8's team he played for too?

You originally referred to the CL and internationals, now when that was shown up you start talking about domestic football. How can you compare a 19/20 year old winder at monaco and a sub-winger for Juve with the mature striker Henry is now?

You can't keep moving the goal posts to suit your argument.

you said CL and internationals. The info on that puts Henry right at the top! My initial comment about your argument being biased and uninformed stands. And now your also trying to change your argument to get out of it.

I should have known you'd go off on one again.
    Your accusations are off, but really not worth arguing anymore.
    I stand by my point (which seems to stand pretty well). Henry's inconsistent.

I should have known you'd go off on one again.
    Your accusations are off, but really not worth arguing anymore.
    I stand by my point (which seems to stand pretty well). Henry's inconsistent.

Translation:
    "All the facts I proposed to back up my argument were debunked for the nonsense they were, but I'm not gonna back down, so I'll just finish off with 'I'm right and your wrong', cos I'm the best" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

Give it a rest Syke, its bad enough watching Henry drown in big games time and again, but this sh!te just antagonises. Admit it, he let us down. Again.

quote:
    ....debunked for the nonsense they were....

okay Gareth/Syke, have it your way, :dunno:
    "I hate the fact that you bring me down to this; I really do, I resent it"

The accusations I referred to as being not worth arguing are too easy to argue. And as this type of posting is quite tedious, I didnt want to engage your nonsense. :rolleyes:

1. I didnt "make" anything up or refer to any "inaccurate information". Any facts I used are referenced. The references to Monaco and Juve stats were made in response to your barking on about his scoring record there. :confused:
    2. There's nothing illogical about my posts, except the inferences you made to distort my point. I never mentioned the CL in relation to Monaco and Juve stats. That was your distortion, and the (p1ss poor) basis for your supposed "argument". You "debunked" nothing. .:rolleyes:
    3. I dont have affections on this topic to blind me to the fact that Henry is far from a complete player, as was suggested. I didnt feel any need to point out Van N's failings because I felt Jank, irish1, and jiveturkey had already done so at length. I "threw all my criticism" (as you put it) at Henry because nobody had bothered to point out the obvious one - he's a choker!! I was balancing the tone, which is not easy around here. .:(

Heres an alternative eye-opening perpective for you:
    A few people, myself, Gandalf, GreatKingRat, and LoneGunMan included, injected an occassional dose of sense into this thread by pointing out that the 2 players in question are not easy to compare. My further point was that for what they both "do", I find Henry relatively inconsistent.
    You lept on my post out of the pile of partisan pap, and decided to rant, claiming to be picking away at my "argument" (opinion), without actually persuading anyone of anything. Your postings on this thread are rambling and blinkered. If you spent less time posting obviously distorted news reports (on which everyone else seemed to manage to smell the bull), and trying to distort other people's points to satisfy your own frustrations, you might find you can make a credible argument sometime (I've no basis for this, true, but Im still giving you the benefit of the doubt).
    The fact that you fail to "respect" my opinion, as you suggest, and engage the fact that Henry regularly flops in big games, is more a reflection on your own mental capacities than anything else at this stage.

Im happy to discuss the relative merits of Henry. But only if you can take your head out of his ars* long enough to talk rationally about it.
    We're too old to waste time arguing this way, and I assume you're too old for b!tch-slapping. ;)

Originally posted by GreatKingRat
    Give it a rest Syke, its bad enough watching Henry drown in big games time and again, but this sh!te just antagonises. Admit it, he let us down. Again.

I don't support Arsenal and was dead chuffed for Ranieri last night. :)
    Henry pulled his hamstring which is why he went off.

Yeah right. People don't walk off that easy when they pull their hamstring, they hobble/limp a bit. He didn't! Its just more bull to save face. What happened to the magical Reyes who would be out for 3 weeks because Scholes ran him over with a bulldozer? Was Arsenal's best player last night probably.

Henry will be involved in the Liverpool/Newcastle games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He Must Have done it in the warm up.;)

Hmm, the words "biased opinion based on uninformed and inaccurate information" are springing to mind Sykes ;)

I know its the official line, but seriously you cant defend his performances this week.
    Or do you just pop your head in here to rattle some cages?...........

"only if you can take your head out of his ars* long enough to talk rationally about it."
    I like that, maybe I'll change my signature again
    :D

1. I didnt "make" anything up or refer to any "inaccurate information". Any facts I used are referenced. The references to Monaco and Juve stats were made in response to your barking on about his scoring record there. :confused:

2. There's nothing illogical about my posts, except the inferences you made to distort my point. I never mentioned the CL in relation to Monaco and Juve stats. That was your distortion, and the (p1ss poor) basis for your supposed "argument". You "debunked" nothing. .:rolleyes:

I think you'll find that you brought up International and European consistancy.
    I cited his CL performances and then as a rebuttal you brought Monaco and Juve in.
    If you originally meant domestic performances for Monaco and Juve in still has no bearing on your initial assertions that he doesn't perform in Europe or Internationally.

3. I dont have affections on this topic to blind me to the fact that Henry is far from a complete player, as was suggested. I didnt feel any need to point out Van N's failings because I felt Jank, irish1, and jiveturkey had already done so at length. I "threw all my criticism" (as you put it) at Henry because nobody had bothered to point out the obvious one - he's a choker!! I was balancing the tone, which is not easy around here. .:(

I agree that he doesn't have a good record in big games, but his overall contributions over a campaign or a season is unquestionable. He has scored consistantly in Europe (he is the joint 4th top highest scorer and one a a few to make it past 30 goals).

Internationally, all I said was, consideringhe was the teams top scorer in both 98 and 00 competitions you can hardly say he contributed nothing (which is what you implied).
    You lept on my post out of the pile of partisan pap, and decided to rant, claiming to be picking away at my "argument" (opinion), without actually persuading anyone of anything. Your postings on this thread are rambling and blinkered. If you spent less time posting obviously distorted news reports (on which everyone else seemed to manage to smell the bull), and trying to distort other people's points to satisfy your own frustrations, you might find you can make a credible argument sometime (I've no basis for this, true, but Im still giving you the benefit of the doubt).
    The fact that you fail to "respect" my opinion, as you suggest, and engage the fact that Henry regularly flops in big games, is more a reflection on your own mental capacities than anything else at this stage.

Im happy to discuss the relative merits of Henry. But only if you can take your head out of his ars* long enough to talk rationally about it.
    We're too old to waste time arguing this way, and I assume you're too old for b!tch-slapping. ;)

This is a rather verbose and length bit of name calling which you really needn't have stooped to if your arguement, which has chopped and changed to suit your needs, was as watertight as you suggest.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    He Must Have done it in the warm up.;)

...yeah to the Utd match :)

...yeah to the Utd match :)

Well he's out for the weekend now and probably miss the 2 games against Liverpool ad Newcastle.

So I think saying he wasn't injured is a tad bit stupid.

quote:
    "I agree that he doesn't have a good record in big games,"
    Well why didnt you just admit it a week ago, instead of tiresomly arguing just because I "find him frequently dissapointing" :mad:

quote:
    "in 2002 the whole french team imploded, and Henry was sent off...."
    Thats a very tidy 180 from originally being apalled at my suggestion that:
    "I dont think Henry did anything whatsoever to be proud of in the 02 World Cup" :(

quote:
    "If you originally meant domestic performances for Monaco and Juve"
    Well, yes that would have been the obvious interpretation had you read the
    post before going off on a tangent: "he's turned it on big style against poor english defences, but ...." If this is some form of apology for your unfounded accusations that I made it up, then its graciously accepted. :confused:

quote:
    you can hardly say he contributed nothing (which is what you implied).
    No, I said that he was "not the focal point" of the 98, 00 teams, and thats hardly a controversial matter. Again you interpret at will to suit this tenuous notion that somehow you've had a clear train of thought on this thread? :dunno:

quote:
    "This is a rather verbose and length bit of name calling which you really needn't have stooped to if your arguement, which has chopped and changed to suit your needs, was as watertight as you suggest."
    Its called a paragraph, and I "stooped" to the tone to communicate with you at your level, after previously refusing to be drawn by juvenile taunts such as the following

quote:
    Really, are you just making stuff up or are you living in a fantasy land....
    Now I *know* you're just making stuff up to argue
    - referenced facts?

quote:
    You have the least logical arguing style (for the stuff you haven't made up)
    ever! ......You can't keep moving the goal posts to suit your argument.
    - from a guy who's done a 180 on his original post, a little hypocritical to
    say the least

quote:
    I'll just finish off with 'I'm right and your wrong', cos I'm the best"
    - possibly your most disturbing interpretation yet most telling piece of writing

quote:
    its biased opinion based on uninformed an inaccurate information, but hey,
    we'll all give your argument the respect it deserves.

- as opposed to these respect-worthy "opinions"?
    quote:
    van nist has only scored the 2...goals requiring agility and close touches"
    or
    quote:
    "arsenal now are the only team to have come close to their (Spurs 61?!) flair
    and pure brillance in england"

Very knowledgable, unbiased, and watertight, Syke. :rolleyes:
    You really have no cause for trying to claim a logical or moral high-ground.

I've now noticed on other threads that this is not the only time you have posted flimsy provocative jibes in the absence of having a rational, coherent point to make, so I guess its a lesson for me, and anyone else who didnt already know, that your quips are not really worth reacting to.

Originally posted by irish1
    Well he's out for the weekend now and probably miss the 2 games against Liverpool ad Newcastle.

So I think saying he wasn't injured is a tad bit stupid.

He *might* be injured now, but he wasn't injured all along so that doesn't excuse his two anonymous performances.

And I'll believe hes out when I see it. Reyes and Ljungberg were meant to be crocked too for a number of weeks and both played v Chelsea and Reyes was probably the best arsenal player.

quote:

"I agree that he doesn't have a good record in big games,"
    Well why didnt you just admit it a week ago, instead of tiresomly arguing just because I "find him frequently dissapointing" :mad:

*sigh* that wasn't the initial point I was making. That is quite differentto saying he has done nothing in Europe or internationally, which is what you said originally.

He has done ALOT in europe and internationally, he does bottle it on big one off matches sometimes but I think its due to over reliance on him than anything else.

quote:

"in 2002 the whole french team imploded, and Henry was sent off...."
    Thats a very tidy 180 from originally being apalled at my suggestion that:
    "I dont think Henry did anything whatsoever to be proud of in the 02 World Cup" :(

That was a typo. I meant to reference wher eyou said he did nothing in the 98 and 00 cups. If you read my post I originally stated he did nothing in 02, so its hardly a 180 now is it?
    quote:

"If you originally meant domestic performances for Monaco and Juve"
    Well, yes that would have been the obvious interpretation had you read the
    post before going off on a tangent: "he's turned it on big style against poor english defences, but ...." If this is some form of apology for your unfounded accusations that I made it up, then its graciously accepted. :confused:

Well seeing as your initial commenst were regarding form in Europe and internationals you'd see where I'd be confused that you start pulling domestic performances on the wing into the equation now wouldn't you? I never defended his league form while at Juve or Monaco, I merely said that he has performed in Europe and Internationals as well as anyone else.
    quote:

you can hardly say he contributed nothing (which is what you implied).
    No, I said that he was "not the focal point" of the 98, 00 teams, and thats hardly a controversial matter. Again you interpret at will to suit this tenuous notion that somehow you've had a clear train of thought on this thread? :dunno:

Fair enough.... again you originally stated that he had done nothing internationally so it wasn't a huge leap, but if you didn't mean that, the I conceed the point.

On first inspection the doctors thought reyes had damaged ligaments but it turned out only to be a slight knock to his ankle, not exactly a conspiracy is it.
    On the evidence of Arsenal's last 3 games, Henry has hardly risen to the big occassion. He was below ordinary on Sat. There's time for him to raise it a level over the next few weeks and bury that rep, but the jury's still out.

Yes because he doesn't usually raise it in the big games? 5:1 away to Inter comes to mind.......

• Advertisement

Originally posted by elbow316

Yes because he doesn't usually raise it in the big games? 5:1 away to Inter comes to mind.......

Not to slag off henry because i think hes a great player, but Inter Milan aren't the force they once were. And that score was only so high because Inter abandoned defence in search of a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

And that score was only so high because Inter abandoned defence in search of a goal

That reminds me of last weekend when arsenal had 5 strikers on if you include ljungberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not to slag off henry because i think hes a great player, but Inter Milan aren't the force they once were. And that score was only so high because Inter abandoned defence in search of a goal

Still to win by that margin at the san siro was unbelieveable. It was also a huge game given arsenals position in the CL at the time. Big game, he performed ok I think.

Advertisement