Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which News/Media type do you prefer ?...

• 31-03-2004 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

News/Media comes in many forms. Newspapers, TV, Radio, and my favourite the 'Internet'.

Which do you consider or prefer as the most honest/entertaining and un-biased, or not under some megalomaniacs thumb ?....

P. :ninja: :dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Channel 4 news, or BBC.
    Don't really look at news sites on the web.
    Avoid Radio.
    Irish Times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I enjoy reading the paper most (the Independent), but I know that sadly it is under the control of big business, as is most Irish Print Media.

My favorite non-bias source would probably be RTE or BBC, I feel they give the best coverage with no or little bias

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As most foreign media/news sources are now available/on sale to the general public in Ireland. May I suggest that this News/Media forum should not be only Irish News/Media targetted.

P. :ninja:

why would it be?
    something tells me that there are very few who regularly read the Hong Kong Times, and even if they do, whats the harm in them posting about it?

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Exactly, exactly. I agree, I agree. :cool:

P. :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by flogen
    why would it be?
    something tells me that there are very few who regularly read the Hong Kong Times, and even if they do, whats the harm in them posting about it?

Flogen
    Not that there's really a Hong Kong Times:)
    (there's a news aggregator at hongkongtimes.com run by the Chinese News Agency that's pretty good for business news from HK and east Asia though)

Hong Kong does have the Asia Times and Singtao Times though. First one's available in English, online as well. Second one is Chinese only.

As for most unbiased (obviously anything produced by the Chinese news Agency doesn't count), I've a soft place in my heart for newspapers that aren't owned by someone with interests that can be furthered by the tone taken in their newspaper. Guardian and IT come to mind then. BBC as well, even with the slight hold the UK government have over them they make the effort to be unbiased.

Obvious non-candidates include anything owned by News Corp, anything owned by CanWest, INM and so on. It's not that I mistrust them - it's that they do have something tangiable to gain and one has to keep that in mind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Up until last week I read the Indo, but I feel it's going more and more down hill, acting like a red top etc, so I've switch to the Irish Times. Get the Guardian on Mondays, as well as most Fridays and Saturdays. Flick through local papers the Western People.

Sundays it's the Sunday Tribune, the Sunday Business Post, and the Observer. The Sunday Times for ‘the Month’, or free music CDs, I sometimes find the time to read it too.

My random online news reading is random, or to find out more on news just braking.

I listen to Today FM news as it’s on in work. And randomly watch news on Channel 4, RTE, TV3, BBC, ITV/UTV, SKY.

As for prefer - paper or online.

Up until last week I read the Indo, but I feel it's going more and more down hill, acting like a red top etc

interesting you should say that, because Ive begun to notice more and more bias in the Independent, albeit a liberal one (which would appeal to me more that a conservative one, but its still a bias). Perhaps this metro edition is doing some damage.... but I'll stick with it for now.

how reputable is the Times? from what I know, its under Mr. Murdock (although its not listed on his newscorp site, but neither is the Oirish Sun), and if it is under him, i would suspect a right wing bias..

the sad fact is that I struggle to think of any Irish paper that doesnt have a bias, and thats mainly because theyre all owned by either O Reilly and Murdock, and they both have their private interests to appease.

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by flogen
    how reputable is the Times? from what I know, its under Mr. Murdock (although its not listed on his newscorp site, but neither is the Oirish Sun), and if it is under him, i would suspect a right wing bias..
    Times is indeed owned by NewsCorp (Rupert's baby)
    the sad fact is that I struggle to think of any Irish paper that doesnt have a bias, and thats mainly because theyre all owned by either O Reilly and Murdock, and they both have their private interests to appease.
    Irish Times isn't owned by either (it's set up under a trust). Examiner isn't owned by either either (TCM have their own interests). Princes Holdings/INM (O'Reilly's baby) do own most of the local papers but there are a number of exceptions (Limerick Leader is the one that comes first to mind). The easiest way to see whether O'Reilly owns a local paper is to check the unison site - there are online editions of them all available from the page.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by sceptre
    Times is indeed owned by NewsCorp (Rupert's baby)...

Irish Times isn't owned by either (it's set up under a trust).

It's amazing the amount of people who wrongly think the Irish Times is owned by NewsCorp/Rupert.

“The Irish Times Trust and its Articles of Association give the newspaper a special status among newspapers of the world by protecting its editorial content from commercial and other unhealthy sectional interests. We are the only independent newspaper in Ireland

– from a message from the Editor on the Irish Times’ website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pic' n mix is my motto! Sunday Times, Tribune for the papers (given up buying dailies) BBC news as a rule with a fair ammount of Sky News. No ITN on ITV but some on Channel 4. Occasional forays into BBC News 24.

Lots of radio - RTE 1 and Five Live mainly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Print: Irish Times when I buy a paper (rarely), Evening Herald every other time just because it's there.

Online: BBC

TV: BBC, RTE, and Sky News when I'm on the computer because it's the only 24 hour news channel I have in this room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Newspapers: Irish Times, Sunday Tribune, Sunday Business Post.

Online: BBC News, Ireland.com, NY Times.

TV: BBC News, RTE, CNN

Don't Read/Watch: The Times, The Sunday Times, Fox News (or anything else from Murdoch) and the Indo for their lack of coverage of anything that would effect Tony O'Reilly's interests.

Advertisement