Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with f*$*@?* Windows ME.

Options
  • 31-03-2004 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

every time i switch on my pc it goes through the initial startup, then freezes as its about to start windows

its about three years old 1.2Ghz AMD, 256MG ram 40 GB hard drive,

now it will start up in safe mode but that about it...any help would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Windows ME is crap. Time to change to a new OS. When I used to use ME, it wont let me add any hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

How did I know that the first reply would be to tell the poster to get a new OS? :confused:

Read the charter neokenzo, pay particular attention to the following:

No Off-Topic Advocacy: When someone asks a question about their current browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin

And on to the topic itself...
    Originally posted by giftgrub
    every time i switch on my pc it goes through the initial startup, then freezes as its about to start windows

its about three years old 1.2Ghz AMD, 256MG ram 40 GB hard drive,

now it will start up in safe mode but that about it...any help would be greatly appreciated?

Have you changed any hardware settings recently? I messed around with my GFX card settings recently and the computer wouldn't boot for me. Took the card back out, replaced with original to boot up and remove drivers/software to be on the safe side, then reinstalled the newer card. Worked a treat.

Or possibly its a software problem. Any new software installed?

Only other suggestion I can think of is a reinstall of the OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Check your Autoexec.bat & config.sys files from within Safe Mode.

See if they have anything weird in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

you could try running a restore to your most recent restore point. You wont lose any data (and I have never seen it work successfully) but you may have to repair a program or two.

Advertisement