Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Question] Getting BB installed

• 31-03-2004 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I have a question on the installation of a broadband connection.

I'm thinking about getting it installed. The room where the computer is is a good distance from the telephone line coming in. For ordinary dial up I ran a cable myself to the room and it's all ok. What would the situation be with a Broadband connection? What would I need to run a connection from the line coming in to the actual computer?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I've run my BB (temporarily) over a 50 foot phone extension cable with no problems, so you should be OK with your existing setup. It would be neater, though, to install an extra socket, tacking the cable down properly, as I have now done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by alleepally
    I have a question on the installation of a broadband connection.

I'm thinking about getting it installed. The room where the computer is is a good distance from the telephone line coming in. For ordinary dial up I ran a cable myself to the room and it's all ok. What would the situation be with a Broadband connection? What would I need to run a connection from the line coming in to the actual computer?
    If your line passes the test for broadband, then you should have no difficulty using the broadband "modem" supplied in the computer room. (Sometimes DIY internal wiring will cause problems with getting broadband, but if you did a good enough job, then it won't be a problem)

Advertisement