Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pete McGrath - New International Rules Manager..

• 31-03-2004 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

from Rte
    Down's McGrath handed international reins

Former All-Ireland winning Down football boss Pete McGrath has been named as the new manager of Ireland's International Rules team, succeeding Kerry's John O'Keeffe.

McGrath has an impressive backroom team of selectors in former Dublin goalkeeper and Wicklow manager John O'Leary, former Cork player and manager Larry Tompkins and former Galway player and Galway and Roscommon manager John Tobin. Another Down great, All-Ireland winner Mickey Linden, has been named as the team's runner.

Ireland have not won a series since Brian McEniff's team's victory in 2001, suffering consecutive defeats in Ireland in 2002 and last October in Australia. However, McGrath certainly possesses the credentials to reverse Ireland's recent fortunes.

Part of the backroom team that helped guide St Colman's to two All-Ireland Colleges titles in 1986 and 1988, McGrath was also involved with Hogan Cup successes in 1993 and 1998 with the Newry secondary school.

He guided Down to only their second ever All-Ireland minor football title in 1987 and was appointed manager of the Down senior team in 1989. He enjoyed outstanding success in the early 90s, helping Down to memorable All-Ireland victories in 1991 and 1994 before finally stepping down as manager of the Mourne men after the 2002 championship.

The first test of the 2004 series between Ireland and Australia will take place in Croke Park on October 17 with the second test a week later on the 24th.

GAA avoid picking Mick O'Dwyer again... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox

and by all accounts he is less than happy about it, turning down the assistant manager position to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

O dwyer wast suitable the only suitable managers according to the rules was Pat ONeill ( my personal choice) or yer man from down.

Mick'o Was offered slector role and refused it.... screw him John Leary will do a grand job IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Surely that's because he has a job at the moment and most (if not all?) of those selected don't.

Weren't the Irish team training 3 or 4 times a week for a few months for last years series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I'm sure if Micko said he could do it.............he could do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The job is Mickos once he finishes managing country team, albeit Laois or whoever afterwards.

Fair play to Pete McGrath getting the job, congrats. However, can anyone imagine Micko being someone elses assistant? That would be like asking Alex Ferguson to be Wengers assistant!!!

I believe Micko will take job once he is finished with couty teams!!

--laoisfan

Ps. Good win for Laois over Wexford. Wexford are a good team, they had wins over Meath, Sligo and Galway. Then again, it is the league!! I thought Tyrone were very dirty yesterday against Kerry and were lucky to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 joey#10

O dwyer wast suitable the only suitable managers according to the rules was Pat ONeill ( my personal choice) or yer man from down.

Mick'o Was offered slector role and refused it.... screw him John Leary will do a grand job IMO.

Micko wasnt suitable?? Yeah i guess the greatest Gaelic Football manager in the history of the game wouldnt really be suited to managing the best players in the country..!! As far as O'Leary and O'Neill are concerned, well they shouldnt be even mentioned in the same sentence as Micko (i realise im doing that now so dont bother pointing it out!)

micko wasnt suitable because he is involved with a county team. Im sure he would make a grand intl. rules manager when hes finished with laois.

Micko is not " all that " in my opinion and John O leary ( the greatest gaelic football keeper of all time) is more than worthy to be named along side the fantastic micko and he will do a fine jobe as selector.

I dont know all the recent " We love Micko " attitude is comming from .. the Media I guess but its getting a bit tiresome now.

Joey#10 you seem to have a real hard one for micko so I presume your from Laois....or something. Im sure you would rather him giving his full attention to one job at a time ?

I've a hard 1 for micko? (what are you on about man!?) well albany you know, hes not really my type, what with him bein a bloke and all! You sound like youve a hard one for johno' if you ask me! But im not here to make fun though. Yeah granted your right John O'Leary was a fantastic captain and goalkeeper, but he has a long long way to go if he ever wants to emulate mick o dwyer as a manager.

He is all that, his record speaks for itself and any true gaa man would have to respect that. I also think that he would more than be able to look after both jobs, the team is only brought together at the end of august where only the semi finalists for the all-ire should be left. That would give him a lot of players who would be free to join up to prepare for the tests. Its a fact the gaa have never properly given him the respect he deserves, shame on them. Im a Tyrone man by the way.

in all fairness to the gaa the guidelines they set down for the slection of an intl rules manager cant be bent just cause mucko might like a go at it. I agree he is one of the GAA greats and I agree hes doesnt get the respect he deserves by the gaa... but who does. the point Im making is that there seem's to be a " We love Mick O" bandwagon all of a sudden. By all accounts he threw his toys outta the cot when he was offered the selectors role so I wont be shedding a tear for him

As for john O leary. Being a Manager of a small county team, and now being a selector of the Ireland team are all steps towards his real goal. Bringing Dublin to all Ireland Glory !
    it will happen, he will become a great manager ( i have no Doubt) and when the time is right he will be dublin Manager.

a tyrone fella that wants Micko in charge of the Ireland team.... very clever... cause laois and tyrone are sure to meet via the back door system early on ...I see your cunning little plan now.

Well tis' too late Joe.

Yeah sure i guess the dublin ladies team could do with havin a man of his experience at the helm! Well anyway we'll find out when the real action starts in the summer wont we!

• Advertisement

I think he did ok at wicklow and things could be better with the jackies ( Dublin ladies football) but all in all I think he will make it ..

We have to beat those bleedin auzzies.... nothing worse than an arogent auzzie ..

Yeah very true, seein them celebrate after nearly every score they got last october wasnt too nice to see. Good luck to the management. If we prepare well enough we'll take them i've no doubt, we'd have the better footballers. What would your best Compromise fifteen be?
    This is my choice if i had the job:

1. Enda Murphy
    2. Paddy Christie
    3. Darren Fay
    4. Sean Lockhart
    5. Seamus Moynihan
    6. Graham Canty
    7. Kieran McGeeney
    8. Dara O'Se
    9. Dermot Earley
    10. Ciaran McManus
    11. Tadgh Kennelly (c)
    12. Sean Cavanagh
    13. Stephen McDonnell
    14. Setanta O'Hailpin
    15. Declan Browne
    interchange: Devine, Gormley, Joe Bergin, Rainbow, Declan Meehan, Tom Kelly,
    Joe Higgins, McGrane, Pauric Clancy, Connell, Kevin Hughes, Pauric Joyce, Devenney, Corkery, Beano McDonald.

Advertisement