Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Land Rover Series 2

Options
  • 31-03-2004 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about getting a Series 2 Land Rover? Anyone got one sitting around their farm they want to sell? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I'd say there's not too many of those knocking about, and those that do exist are really knocking....maybe place a wanted ad in the buy and sell.. all the farmers and the like read that. It's unlikely that a farmer will place an ad over the internet too.
    Otherwise you may have to try through the north as the Land Rover was always way more common in the UK than here... And irish people hack their jeeps into the ground!!!

Hope thats of some use. ( A fan of 4X4's)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by magpie
    Anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about getting a Series 2 Land Rover?
    Why look for something so old?
    Here is a series 2 collectors club webpage. They have one or two for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

There's a very large number of them in the UK and you could probably import them cheap enough - especially a Series 2 or 2A.

I've had 2 - a standard LWB and an ex-British Gas 6 cylinder which was a gas guzzling monster. Both needed quite a lot of work on the chassis so I'd suggest you check that carefully....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I thought the chassis were aluminium as well?

Chassis are all mild steel - rots badly but all in all not too bad because a new chassis is only about £1500 and good examples are sometimes available....I have a Haynes manual for a Series 2/2A if that is of interest.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer, but I reckon if I was going to get one I'd try to find a reconditioned one. I'm trying to suss out if there is anywhere that does recons.

The midlands rover owners club does lots of that sort of thing and it is only a short flight to Birmingham International. This one looks like a bargain but bear in mind it wont have synchromesh on first.

Yeah, that looks like just the thing.

Synchromesh doesn't matter as I'm not intending on offroading, just cruising!

Synchromesh would be a good idea as otherwise you have to double de-clutch to change gear between second and first which is not at all easy.

Also if you can get one with free wheeling front hubs you will save quite a bit of money on petrol and tyres. In the standard Landrover even though the 4WD is disingaged the front wheels still turn the half shafts and propshaft which uses up energy.

Can you just buy one for me? :)

• Advertisement

My wife has officially banned me from looking at Landrovers for sale after I was really close to bringing home a 101/FC (very large ambulance based on a land rover) - even this thread would constitute a yellow card offense :)

See LR Mart for yet another good source.

Yes you do have the demeanour of a reformed Land Rover junky about you! Have you considered LRA?

I'll have a look at that site. Thanks for all the help!

(What car are you allowed to drive now then?)

What car are you allowed to drive now then?

I have a Triumph GT6 (1973) currently being expensively restored in the UK which should be finished by late spring/early summer.

Nice. Always fancied a Triumph Stag myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I bought mine from the classifieds on http://www.clri.net/

I got the following from www.buyandsell.net/classifieds and typed in land rover in the search box.

there's a lot more series threes about than twos but most of em are post 74 which would mean taxing it like a grown up vehicle.

Land Rover Dsl '71. Series 2A, 109", Wexford reg, lots of money spent, needs more work, Price: €1,000 Contact: 087-6851202.
    Conn and Leinster

Land Rover Series 2A '70. Swb, 7 seater, 2&1/4 petrol, turner winch, fwh, new fuel tank, exhaust & battery, historic vehicle Price: €2,100 Contact: 0402-36093 & 087-2722553.
    Conn and Leinster

If you do get one, I'd strongly reccomend at the very least joining the web forum of the series 2 club at http://pub2.ezboard.com/bwittsendsystems

You'll find various pics of mine at www.johnlanigan.com

in particular How it looked when I first got it (for €250)

and how it currently stands as a 85% restored chassis. (just the chassis is 85% done) but at least from here on in it's a case of putting bits back on as it's pretty much entirely stripped.

chassis150304.jpg

If I can be of any further help feel free to ask.

John

Hmm, seems like the ones here are in ****e order for the money. Was looking at some classifieds in the UK and you can pick one up in decent order (MOT etc) for about 1500-2000 sterling. Just a question of getting it back here tho'

Good luck with the restoration, looks like a big job TSTL

TSTL??

if you're importing one, it should be fairly straightforward, but I'd reccomend trailering it home (which will need another decent sized 4x4 to tow it)

if the vehicle has it's paperwork right then it should be a simple enought formality to get it registered here.

my restoration is a big job, but not complex. it's like giant meccano. and it allows me to spread the cost out over a long period of time, basically if I have a good month financially I buy parts, if not I don't. plus I love this stuff.

for two grand sterling if you're careful you should be able to pick up a very tidy 88 needing very little work for the next few years.

pity but the weekend just gone was the old sodbury sortout near reading. it's a giant landy autojumble and generally there's loads of vehicles with for sale signs in the car-park. I went last year and filled the back of my 405 estate for £200

if you do buy it's an excellent place to get cheap parts.

check out land over owner international and land rover world too as good magazines.

John

To Say The Least. TSTL.

http://pub247.ezboard.com/fwittsendsystemsfrm12.showMessage?topicID=554.topic

This may be of interest.

dunno whereabouts in the UK it is, but it can't hurt to ask

Keighley is near Leeds, Halifax and Bradford - you can Ryanair to leeds bradford airport pretty cheap..

• Advertisement
Advertisement