Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -v- Chech's *Spoilers*

• 31-03-2004 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I might as well open up a new thread for the match. Before I tell you the team, it looks like were going to lose.:( Carr is injured!

Given

Maybury
    Cunningham
    Doherty
    Harte

Reid
    Holland
    Kilbane
    Duff

Keane
    Morrison

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    it looks like were going to lose.:(

Have to agree with you there unfortunately!! That team looks piss poor! Although he is playing Duff on the left, which is a good thing.
    I think the Czech's 20 game unbeaten run will be increased to 21 after tonight's game!! :(

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Thats a brutal looking back line. And Kilbane in midfield? He's energetic and enthusiastic and all but he's ahardly a central midfield general...

3-0 to Czech Rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Come on the boys in Green!!!! not the best of sides I must admit but hopefull keep it to 0-0 and we make a few changes....bring on Delap in the centre.....Reid will prob some on for Duff.....and see where we can go from there

Me dyin here cause have to fly tonite and planes takes off at 7.50.....wont see any of the game:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Erm kilbane is our best midfielder in the last couple of games and is bang on form in the prem.

Only two non-premier players isn't a bad line up, you guys are either very young or have short memories.

I'd say the team will line up as

Given

Maybury
    Doherty
    Cunningham
    Harte

Holland
    Reid
    Kilbane

Duff

Keane
    Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Although he is playing Duff on the left, which is a good thing.
    I should 've said, that is just the team, there was no confirmation that those are the exact positions the players will be playing but it is the most likely. I was one of the majority of people that wanted Duff on the left but the more I think of it the more I say, whats the point? If he plays on the left for Chelsea he gets by a couple of players and crosses it. There's no use in crossing a ball to Keane and Morrison as they can't head it. If Duff played in the middle maybe the through balls to Keane and Morrison would work better.

lafortezza - Kilbane plays in he middle for Everton.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by syke

Holland
    Reid
    Kilbane

Duff
    That is probably more likely as they are all in their current club positions AFAIK. This is Holland's last chance to impress me. He really has to put in more work. If he's his usual self, Delap has to overtake him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

3-1 to Ireland.:)
    Keep the faith ppl!
    Is RTE (Robbing Theiving Ejits) showing it?

Holland out.....replace him with Delap........needs to put in a good performance.....also get the Miller lad stuck in there

Sky

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Holland out.....replace him with Delap........needs to put in a good performance.....also get the Miller lad stuck in there
    Neil, the team has been named and it is the one in the first post. :D

• Advertisement

sorry meant to say at half time

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    This is Holland's last chance to impress me. He really has to put in more work

As an experiment, check out tonight how many times he passes the ball back to defence. It is absolutely shocking the amount of times he does it. He is such a negative player.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

2-1 Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

looks like not a bad team under the circumstances. Im really looking forward to seeing Kilbane in the middle as i rate him as a worker. Hopefully he might add to the effort of a midfield that has been sorely lacking in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

its not a bad team considering and i think we will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

We can win

1-0 or 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Just leaving now to go to the match, please god we play well. I reckon Holland might say bye bye to Irish football tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

I'll say 0-0. The lads will have to be at their best and Ian Harte mustn't be allowed take a freekick until his confidence rises.
    Originally posted by woosaysdan
    its not a bad team considering and i think we will win.
    If we played Brazil with this team we'd all say we are going to get destroyed. Playing Brazil in a friendly is a lot easier than the Chechs. What we have to do is keep the central midfield pairing quiet to have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Has he actually named people in positions.
    It could be

Duff - Holland-Reid-Kilbane

with Reid operating as the more attacking central midfielder

Originally posted by kida
    Has he actually named people in positions.
    He hasn't but I'm nearly sure they'll line out the way Syke's has it. Kilbane and Reid play in central midfield for their clubs and AFAIK Holland plays on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Stiltskin

1-1

Hopefully Miller will come on at half time and not just for the last ten minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I agree with Stiltskin, 1-1 draw.

I hope Delap and Miller get a run out.

/Kone

Ireland leading 1-0

Ian heart free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Doherty appears to have been hurt pretty bad.

Miller is on for the last 20 minutes, lets see how he competes.

Oh England are losing to Sweden, how sad ;)

Bah duffer and reid off :( Douth we will see much from millier in 20 mins tbh

hold on for the last 12 mins lads.

Oh well 1-1 milan baros

balls

Am i haveing a nightmere or did kerr put on a non legue goalkeeper against the 6th best team in the world

Originally posted by bizmark
    Am i haveing a nightmere or did kerr put on a non legue goalkeeper against the 6th best team in the world

Pat Kenny? he plays for Sheffield Utd...

Originally posted by bizmark
    Oh well 1-1 milan baros

balls

does he not play for Sheff Utd???

Ah ok sorry football newbe exuse my faults ;)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2-1 robbie ya great man ya!

bye bye 20 games unbeaten :D (i hope)

• Advertisement

2-1 keano

theres only 1 keano!!

brillant... :)

From Sportinglife.com

"90 mins: Full-time. The longest unbeaten international run in Europe is over and the Republic of Ireland deserve the victory for a fine second-half performance. "

You'l never beat the Irish, Draw with Brazil and Beat Czech Republic!!! bring on France in the qualifiers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good Result and it looks like we may have some good young players coming through too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by irish life
    Ian Harte mustn't be allowed take a freekick until his confidence rises.

I agree!

Just back from it, great atmosphere and a nice scalp.

Holland was anonymous in midfield, really he went missing so many times it was unreal.

Poor Morrison, felt so sorry for him, was hilarious when he told the camera man to feck off.

Cunningham was the best player on the pitch by a long sea mile, he put in an absolutely magnificent performance overall (defence went to bits a bit after Doherty went off)...how Duff got it over him, I'll never know.

Cunningham is so much better than Birmingham though, it was worth going just to see a masterclass in marshalling a defence.

On the downside, what the hell were the FAI thinking letting the Eurostar guy sing at half time.... he was mortified and booed for alot of the song. Felt bad for the guy, but jesus, talk about a lamb to the slaughter.....

Oh and HArte wasn't bad, although it should be noted, the Czechs don't play with wingers.

• Advertisement

I'd love to know where everyone who posted on the Ireland-v-Brazil game are. It had about 5 pages.

The first thing i'd like to say is, everyone said that selling the 3 matches in a block would stop the rubber hammer fans going, in fact it has done the opposite. The atmosphere for the last 2 games has been diabolicol, the worst in years. There has to be something done about it.

The match. What the hell does Holland actually do to avoid getting the ball? I couldn't do it if I tried. If he plays again soon I will be absolutely shocked. Lee has to play with Robbie for the next game, we need someone like him just for his head alone. Harte's confidence is back and I will feel safe with him on the team sheet again, he went through a bit of the Kilbane syndrome.;) O'Shea has to be getting a bit worried.

I didn't learn much about what the team will be for the qualifiers other than Holland shouldn't be in it and Lee has a good chance because of his height (Quinn still hasn't been replaced, AFAIK other than Keane Doc is the only player to play 2 consecutive games up front {edit: and now Morrison}).

All in all, I'm delighted with the result and I'm also delighted that Holland played as he usually does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Was at the match myself. we played well for the most part. we started to slack a bit when we scored the first goal. but did well to come back. Holland, duff and cunningham played very well. Delap had a good game and miller was influential on his debut.Maybury had a good first half but made silly mistakes in the second

Ratings: Given 7, Maybury 5,Doherty 6, Cunningham 9,Harte 5, A.reid 5, Kilbane 6, Holland 8,Duff 9, Keane 7,Morrisson 6........ Lee 6, Delap 7, Kinsella 6, Miller 7

Holland 8
    He got more touched in the 20 minutes at centre half then he did for the 70 in midfield. He got his job done at the back but that was only becuase he was forced to touch the bloody ball.

my ratings:

Given 6 - Didn't have very much to do.
    Maybury 6 - cleared the ball off the line and didn't have a bad game overall.
    Doherty 7 - Every corner was going to him, without him we had no height at the back.
    Cunningham 8 - He was his usual outsanding self. Held the line well forcing Baros offside.
    Harte 6 - He handled the presure well and his free kick was superb but he needs to run with the ball more.
    A.reid 5 - Not his night unfortunately but he won't be going home to unhappy.
    Kilbane 6 - Worked hard and kept Nedved at bay.
    Holland 5 - Anonomous for the first 70 minutes and only worked when he was forced.
    Duff 9 - He had a great time out there tonight and he is the man the Chechs will remember.
    Keane 8 - Worked extremely hard and never stopped running, showed a few good touches.
    Morrison 6 - Didn't have a bad game and was the player who won the free kick. He always holds up one or two players which gives Keane more room.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    As an experiment, check out tonight how many times he passes the ball back to defence. It is absolutely shocking the amount of times he does it. He is such a negative player.
    I looked out for it but unfortunately I didn't see him actually touch the ball. He just looks like he doesn't want to play for Ireland. He loks a completely different player in a Charlton shirt.

Gah....I'll put my ratings in too:

Given 6 - Made on good reaction save first half, but will be unhappy with the goal, he should have come for iit

Maybury 6 - Not a bad introduction to Kerr's set up, was caught a few times on the ball and was probably helped by the fact the Czechs don't play wingers

Harte 7 - Again, helped by the lack of Czech wingers, still has inconsistant distribution, but can reflect on one of his better Irish performances and a good goal to boot!

Doherty 8 - Very solid in handling Koller and always looks dangerous on the set piece, did himself no harm in the running for centre half.

Cunningham 9 - Absolutely outstanding. Marshalled the defence and coped with everything. His covering, reading and distribution was excellent.

Reid 6 - Gave the ball away a little too easy and had a few stray passes, but linked up well and his vision is a breath of fresh air in the team.

Kilbane 7 - Some terrible passing choices and ran into dead ends up front, but basically manned the midfield tackling and tracking by himself in the first half.

Holland 5 - Went missing, lost Nedved more times than can be counted and just didn'tget involved. Ironically, played better in defence. May be in jepordy of losinghis place.

Duff 9 - Pure class shone through tonight. Had a good game, linked up so well with the attack and tortured the Czech defence.

Keane 8 - Good workrate, really should have scored more but did very well for his goal.

Morrison 7 - Played well, still not convinced his partnership with Keane is as sharp as it could be. Ran for everything but looked a little out of sorts after his "knock".

Subs

Delap 7 - Good return to the team, will feel unlucky that the loss of Doherty disrupted Irelands game but imposed himself much better than Holland.

Miller 6 - Not much time to shine through and some terrier like chasing but he should get another chance soon.

Lee 7 - Very powerful and asked alot of questions of the Czech defence, chased well for the goal and may now be a very real option up front.

Kinsella 5 - No real time to contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

so could have been 3-1 had that throw-in been nudged even the slightest before hitting the back of the net - what a goal it would've been!!!
    Originally posted by irish1

Oh England are losing to Sweden, how sad ;)

and how were they supposed to not lose with a squad depleted of their best players as well as playing away to Sweden for which they havent beaten in 36 years (last 11 games) at either home or away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Only managed to catch the first half but Duffer was impressive as always and Keane didnt do too bad. I enjoyed the first half and kinda sad i missed the second. Still fair play to da lads.

naitkris i think your missing the point :)
    England lost.

That is all.

Originally posted by naitkris
    and how were they supposed to not lose with a squad depleted of their best players as well as playing away to Sweden for which they havent beaten in 36 years (last 11 games) at either home or away?

Well just thought given their strength in depth they would manage a draw at least.

Just pointing out they lost:D

Sorry but for some strange and silly reason that makes me feel good
    Just like when Celtic beat Rangers or Villa beat Liverpool, or even Kerry Beat Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by syke
    Maybury 6 - Not a bad introduction to Kerr's set up, was caught a few times on the ball and was probably helped by the fact the Czechs don't play wingers

....v. kind words imo,
    the poor lad was shakey the whole match,
    the only time i had confidence in him was when he was taking a throw-in,
    looked good in sky news highlights though!
    please god carr and finnan are never both out again.

cunningham and duff were class in their own ways.

we were v. dodgy when doherty went off, no shape to the team,
    lucky to get a winner but over the 90 deserved it

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great second half and a good win for Ireland, fully deserved too. I couldn't get over Baros diving, he dived about 5 or 6 times during the game. I would have expected it from a non English based player but he was the only one doing it. :mad:

Anyway, here's my ratings...

Given, 7: Played well, didn't put a foot wrong. Could have saved the goal when he was expecting a free kick though.

Maybury, 7: Played well. Cleared the ball off the line in the first half but his distribution was poor.

Cunningham, 9: Another player who didn't put a foot wrong. He is playing really well for Ireland at the moment.

Doherty, 8: Played well, and done what he was asked to do. Didn't put a foot wrong.

Harte, 7: Played ok but was caught on a few occasions. Made a few good tackles. Scored a great goal.

Duff, 9: Best player on the park by miles. And that counts for the two teams. Nedved is nothing compared to him.

Kilbane, 4: Worst international player I've ever seen.

Reid, 8: Played very well, made very good runs and played some great passes. Definately should start every game if possible.

Holland, 3: Was he playing?

Keane, 8: Very very good game from him. Done what is expected of him.

Morrison, 6: Apart from a few flicks here and there he really didn't do much.

Subs:
    Alan Lee, 8: Played really well and didn't let the defenders push him around. Should start beside Keane if he plays like this again.

Liam Miller, 7: Only got a few touches but he looks like he can play well if he plays a full game. Should start in place of Holland or Kilbane.

Delap, 7: Played really well. Like Miller should start in place of Holland or Kilbane.

Kinsella, unrated.
    Kenny, unrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

It was a good game (well a good 2nd half at least), I agree with eirebhoy, the atmosphere at the game was the worst I have seen in a long time, the north terrace was completely silent for most of the 1st half and a lot of the 2nd.

It was nice to get the win and even better to see Miller, Delap and Lee get a game.

So next Poland, Romania and then the Dutch, it should be an interesting few months to say the least! ;)

Originally posted by Kone
    It was a good game (well a good 2nd half at least), I agree with eirebhoy, the atmosphere at the game was the worst I have seen in a long time, the north terrace was completely silent for most of the 1st half and a lot of the 2nd.
    Yeah, I was in the North Terrace aswell. The only ones doing any singing where the Czech's up until Ireland's second goal. The rain didn't help though. :(

Originally posted by naitkris
    Shouldn't you have said, how were they not supposed to lose with a manager like that? He put Heskey on up front when everyone knows what he can do and sticks Alan Smith on the right of midfield. He also gave Parker 10 minutes and he was out of position. He took Thompson off after 60 minutes and it was probably the only chance he'll get. There are so many things about the match last night that shocked everyone. What did SGE learn from the game?

Yeah, I was thinking the same last night. What is up with SGE? If Roman Abromovich wants to get rid of CR because of his “tinkering” with the Chelsea team, God only knows why he wants Sven to replace him!! He chops and changes his team like there’s no tomorrow and he always tends to play players if they’ve had a good game in their last match regardless if it suits the shape of the team. Surely he should use friendly matches to play the strongest team available and only play new players in positions where he would actually have to use them in competitive games to see how they work with the rest of the team!!
    Another thing about Sven, he always plays the players that the press tell him to play, I think he a weak manager managing a team of underachievers!!!

B.

Lads this is an Ireland vs. Czech Republic thread...

• Advertisement
Advertisement