Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HW Tweaking - Feedback time

Options
  • 31-03-2004 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Can you post here any suggestions you may have for this forum ? Want more stuff added to stickies ? Want things changed ? Want more rules or less rules ?

Let myself and Phaxx know by replying here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

I've found some really useful information here as I start down the path of doing "stuff" to my PCs, and people have been very generous with theeir time. However, like the majority of people, I probably tend to ask alot more than I give :). Personally, I think it'd be great for people to be encouraged to post up tips, tricks, things they have tried that worked well/were ok/turned out crap. This has a few good points.

1. A good converstion starter.. (as if you needed it)

2. Everybody can learn something without having to ask...

3. This could become an even better source of information..

It may not be appropriate (might be more suited to a website), but I'd like to post up some simple things that I have found out about or tried. For example, I'm currently spraying some CD drives to match an Aluminium case, but I want to make it stand out a bit so will be trying a combination of chrome and Alu paint. I intend posting up some pics just in case SOMEONE might find it useful. I know its fairly simple, but there are things about it I probably won't do again (plastic primer = plastic melter in some cases )... :)

What do ya's think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Maybe a propper case''mod'' gallery thread on the main page.

CombatCow

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Maybe a propper case''mod'' gallery thread on the main page.

Yep, I second that. (Certainly want to see more of that Thundercats case!)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

1. Case Mod Gallery: Only pictures, no "Oh cool man" or "That looks Crap", and severe restrictions on size of images, nothing over 800x600, and only 3-4 images allowed per member/mod

2. CPU spreadsheet: A spreadsheet with all the standard data about all Intel and AMD CPU's, handy for when youve pushed your 2500 a bit far and want to reset and start again. I havethis somewhere, i'll see if i cant slap it up

3. Regularly Maintained Reference List. For all the newbies who arent sure what drive stealthing is, they look here, see a definition/explaination and hopefully a link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Thread/forum entitled 'Beginners guide to...'

that allows posting of pdf's or threads with moderated comments for a range of standard procedures ie 'how to overclock' 'how to update firmware' 'how to flash a bios' etc etc

Agree with above that access to threads of this nature should be limited ie for a case mod forum just pictures without comments etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

a sticky to nf7-s' overclocking guide from the forums on www.overclockers.co.uk

tis a good guide imo and will help people starting off, i've linked people to it a load of times so it would be handy to have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

A to Z of how to install watercooling (or phase change cooling), plenty of threads about it, plagarizing some posts may provide all the information needed. People (read: me) want the performance but are scared of their lives of leaks and whatnots....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Drazhar
    1. Case Mod Gallery:

2. CPU spreadsheet:

3. Regularly Maintained Reference List.

these are all great suggestions.

i was thinking of a sticky with a list of hardware and a recommendation for each category. each would have a performance and budget category.

say for graphics cards it might be:

performance - Radeon 9600 xt

budget - GeForce 5200

each item could be changed over time by the mod.

another similar idea would be to have a hardware list with a benchmark score beside it. make it simple and just have one score for each component. this will save people a lot of time by not having to ask "which is the best...." etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

A guide to how powerfull a powersupply you need,, PSU related topics seem to come up a bit so power consumption of various components and a guide to picking you PSU would probably be good.

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

How about a sticky with peoples RAM timings, specs over (or under), type of RAM etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unfortunately I only found this forum a couple of months ago. The name is clear in what it is supposed to be, but seeing a lot of posts here that belong in technology and vice versa. I suppose this is inevitable. I suspect a lot of boards members interested in the one would also be interested in the other as you can see from the names of people posting in both.

To make it a lot easier for everyone, I'd suggest a MERGER of the two boards

I kinda agree with unkel on his point. I find myself switching between the two forums all the time. There's alot of crossover.

Something else that'd be handy for newbies like me, and probably others interested in OCing, would be an "Overclockers Toolkit". Links to stress test tools like Prime95 etc all under one roof. List tools good for checking memory, benchmarking, comparitive tools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I agree with Adeptus & unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

perhaps we could have a sticky with out best benchmarks as well, 3dmark, aquamark pifast whatever people use and then we can all cry becuase neokenzo's machine will beat ours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

A couple of stickies to do with overclocking, benchmarks and definetly something on PSU's (majour ammount of questions about them).

I like the way there are seperate HW and tec forums, on the Tec you will get alot of stuff not to do with software, general Tec etc..... on the HW forum its all to do with computers, its slightly slower moving than the tec which is nice if your gone for a week, and it seems to be a little more technical. I post on both forums but generally find the topics here more interesting TBH :)
    sticky with out best benchmarks as well, 3dmark, aquamark pifast whatever people use and then we can all cry becuase neokenzo's machine will beat ours

lol, sounds about right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    perhaps we could have a sticky with out best benchmarks as well, 3dmark, aquamark pifast whatever people use and then we can all cry becuase neokenzo's machine will beat ours :)

LOL :)

I think the HW forum is great. Just that it doesnt seem to have much feedback. I agree with the stickies on overclocking and stuff. There is a lot of potential here. Although when I was trying to overclock my machine, being a noob and all, I find it hard to follow the general overcloking guide as it is a different cpu/mobo. But at least it gave me some idea.

[Edit]:I'd suggest that we also include other websites/forums where we find the information helpful[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok looking over the feedback im going to look into some of the suggestions and see what i can do :) , never thaught id be the one doing this but hey..... its all good !!

Well one thing is an Overclocking guide, that is definetly needed possibly a general one with mabye a more in-depth post following.

Another one that tends to confuse people is power supply's and id like to know if a sticky on this would be an advantage? The one on the tec forum is a bit outdated and this area had me confused for a while until i went and researched it..... have a few tips and recomendations that might save people alot of grief and money. I just tend to answer alot of questions on this subject........ which i like BTW, but its a bit of an un-known area....... what yea guys think? (mabye add it into the overclocking sticky?)

What i dont want is alot of stickies taking up alot of space on the forum, so while there are alot of good idea's i have to refine it a little. Have learnt alot from this forum and would like to help out other people who were in my position ;) .

Mabye i should start a poll to see what ye would like..........

Advertisement